Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Slam

Redszone Slam

I could be off base but I think the following comment in this morning's paper from John Fay was meant as a slam to Redszoners:

You break down stats 99 ways to Sunday these days. All you need is a laptop and some time on your hands.

Seems like a lot of times they're used to tear a player down. That's a relatively new thing. When I was a kid, people talked about Tony Perez having 90 RBI at the All Star break. I don't remember people indicting him for only having 39 in the 2nd half.
    What do you think? Is he tired of tweets and e-mails from stathead Redszoners or am I reading too much into this?

Did Tony Perez ever have 90 RBIs before the All Star break?
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 09-17-2011 at 10:21 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Redszone Slam

Fay is very shallow -- anyone who follows him on Twitter knows what I'm talking about. He half-answers questions and thinks he's doing people a service. Someone asked him last night, "Why is Janish playing instead of Renteria?" Instead of actually answering the question, Fay said "Funny, I got a lot of opposite tweets earlier in the season."

Really, John? You had fans clamoring for more playing time for Paul Janish? No you didn't. I called him out on it but he never responded.

So, yeah, I could see someone like Fay taking a shot at sabermetricians. Fay is shallow enough to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I could be off base but I think the following comment in this morning's paper from John Fay was meant as a slam to Redszoners:

What do you think? Is he tired of tweets and e-mails for stathead Redszoners or am I reading too much into this?

I don't know, but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen written. It's times like these I wish Fire Joe Morgan was still around.

Even Marty has surpassed Fay in his knowledge of the game and willingness to explore facts to support his opinions. Though, I would say Thom and Fay probably have some mind-numbingly dumb baseball conversations. They are at about the same level, which is amazing since they have access to so much more than fans who seem to get it.
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-17-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

1970. Perez was on pace to break all sorts of records.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Fay is a paint-by-numbers guy. No depth, no character, no love for the game. I get the feeling he's just punching the time clock. His stories all follow the same template.

Any semi-competent college-educated journalist could do the same quality job he does.

So any slam he makes to us here, well, he can just kiss my big white hairy butt.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I have my own mental image of what most regular Redszoners look like and I'm afraid you have altered my mental picture of you completely, Roy.

As for Fay, he's an Elder guy and therefore a friend of our family, so I'll reserve judgment.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

What do you think? Is he tired of tweets and e-mails from stathead Redszoners or am I reading too much into this?

I think he did in 1970.he had 129 that year so 90 before and 39 after.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

-The Insider-

I've said it before, I feel like Fay and sometimes even Sheldon were thrown into these positions and have no idea about baseball. There are so many times that Fay doesn't know how something (baseball-wise) works or gets it wrong. I don't like them.

I don't see it as a shot at RZ. I also don't see a lot wrong with it. Some people use the SABR stats to find additional enjoyment and some, like Fay suggests, find the stats they want to tear down a player. Big deal.

I love the game, I love watching it. I enjoy discussing stats but I don't need BABIP or xFIP to understand the game.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Fay is a paint-by-numbers guy. No depth, no character, no love for the game. I get the feeling he's just punching the time clock. His stories all follow the same template.

Any semi-competent college-educated journalist could do the same quality job he does.

So any slam he makes to us here, well, he can just kiss my big white hairy butt.
    In other words, he's incompetent. I agree
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I don't think it was a shot against RZ at all.

Lots of people have a computer, like baseball and stats, and have some time on their hands. And the entire world is seemingly negative these days- John Fay included- just page through his snarky twitter feed sometime.

We're a sensitive bunch around here.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Fay is very shallow -- anyone who follows him on Twitter knows what I'm talking about. He half-answers questions and thinks he's doing people a service. Someone asked him last night, "Why is Janish playing instead of Renteria?" Instead of actually answering the question, Fay said "Funny, I got a lot of opposite tweets earlier in the season."

Really, John? You had fans clamoring for more playing time for Paul Janish? No you didn't. I called him out on it but he never responded.

So, yeah, I could see someone like Fay taking a shot at sabermetricians. Fay is shallow enough to do so.
    Interesting example. I nearly fired off a reply calling him out on that very tweet, but didn't, figuring he'd just laugh it off since he's the professional.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    1970. Perez was on pace to break all sorts of records.
    I was 8 in 1970, and I'm pretty sure Fay's younger than I am. I just might question how clear his memory of what people did and didn't say back then really is.

fwiw, I actually do have some fuzzy memories of the year Perez had, even though I didn't start following baseball closely until 1972.

You're so vain, you probably think this thread is about you

Turn Off Ads?