Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Expectations for Yonder Alonso

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Expectations for Yonder Alonso

Thus far all evidence points toward Yonder Alonso possessing an above average major league bat.

His minor league stats seem to bare that out. He was a model of consistency throughout his minor league career.

2009 - .292/.374/.464, in 340 PAs primarily in A+ & AA
    2010 - .290 /.362/.458, in 560 PAs in AA & AAA
    2011 - .296/.374/.486, in 409 PAs in AAA

He's been superb since being called up, putting up .364/.437/.610 in 87 PAs. Obviously, no one expects him to continue to put up those type of numbers in the big show (.418 BABIP). My question is what kind of slashlines do your foresee for young Yonder next year?

Re: Expectations for Yonder Alonso

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Thus far all evidence points toward Yonder Alonso possessing an above average major league bat.

His minor league stats seem to bare that out. He was a model of consistency throughout his minor league career.

He's been superb since being called up, putting up .364/.437/.610 in 87 PAs. Obviously, no one expects him to continue to put up those type of numbers in the big show (.418 BABIP). My question is what kind of slashlines do your foresee for young Yonder next year?
    I'm not sure where I expect his exact slash line to be, but I think he's a .850-.900 OPS type of guy. Probably leaning toward the .850 side. His plate discipline and his batting eye are pretty well refined. Some have pointed out that his discipline and eye are better than Bruce's and Bruce has been in the majors for a few years already.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post

Hey -- I'm going to expect Ruth like numbers -- why not?

Sadly -- it will probably be in a Yankee uniform.

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

My expectations for Zo is that he will be a average 3rd baseman and a career .300 hitter!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm thinkin' Larry Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm thinkin' Larry Walker.
    He can't be Larry Walker. Jay Bruce is Larry Walker. Everybody can't be Larry Walker.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He can't be Larry Walker. Jay Bruce is Larry Walker. Everybody can't be Larry Walker.
    Alright. Bill Madlock then.

Well, it seems that out of nowhere.....the Reds suddenly expect left field to be the place where defense is a must, so he probably won't fit there.

I think they should stick him in left field until we either trade Votto, or lose him to free agency.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Well, it seems that out of nowhere.....the Reds suddenly expect left field to be the place where defense is a must, so he probably won't fit there.

I think they should stick him in left field until we either trade Votto, or lose him to free agency.
    That makes WAY too much sense --
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Anybody can hit 60 homers if they use three bats. Just sayin'.

a lot of his minor league plate appearances were with a bum wrist. I wouldn't judge him on those very much.

With his eye, his work ethic and his bat speed, he projects to be better than Sean Casey, less than Joey Votto. Maybe Fred McGriff?

Turn Off Ads?