Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dragons End of Season story in DDN

Dragons End of Season story in DDN

For those who did not see the Dayton team in person this season, some stuff here that you might find interesting:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...n-1255060.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dragons End of Season story in DDN

Nice article -- thanks 72. Good to see the praise for Torreyes. Will be interesting to see if they actually move Hamilton -- he might have phenomenal range in CF, but it sounds like his throwing mechanics aren't a great fit there. Would hate to see him go to 2B and block Torreyes at this point in their careers.

I think it would be several years before they moved Hamilton. I hear all the talk about his throwing mechanics. I think that is something that can be fixed. His arm strength is solid. To me, the bigger question is whether he has the hands to stay at shortstop. It would be interesting to watch Hamilton in center, though. Hamilton will be at shortstop next year in Bakersfield and Torreyes will be at second. I think you can count on that.

Vidal is discussed in the story and he was benched for game two of the playoffs, which was big. But Vidal's attitude issues were so minor compared to Yorman's that you can't put those two in the same category.

I think it would be several years before they moved Hamilton. I hear all the talk about his throwing mechanics. I think that is something that can be fixed. His arm strength is solid. To me, the bigger question is whether he has the hands to stay at shortstop. It would be interesting to watch Hamilton in center, though. Hamilton will be at shortstop next year in Bakersfield and Torreyes will be at second. I think you can count on that.

Vidal is discussed in the story and he was benched for game two of the playoffs, which was big. But Vidal's attitude issues were so minor compared to Yorman's that you can't put those two in the same category.
    CF is certainly intriguing, if they can get him throwing like an OF. Mediocre hands doesn't work at SS. In any case, makes sense to continue with the Hamilton-Torreyes keystone combination for another year, at least.

Glad to hear that Vidal's issues don't seem major. The numbers he posted this year are no joke.

On a completely different note, I'm curious about the Marisnick kid who played CF (I think) for Lansing. Do you remember him? And if so, how do you like him as a prospect? Thanks for any insight, 72.

Except for the playoff glitch, that was nearly the perfect minor-league team. It had excellent starting pitching (Smith, Corcino, Renken, Lotzkar, Gerson, Clarke); dynamic relief pitching (Hayes, Howell, Wolford, Rogers); as many as seven of the top 20 or so everyday players in the system (Hamilton, Torreyes, Rodriguez, Lutz, Vidal, Barnhart, Duran); power (Lutz, Vidal, Rodriguez, Duran); and perhaps unparalleled speed (Hamilton, Torreyes, Bowe, Sierra, Rodriguez). And it won big. And set attendance records. Remarkable.

It's interesting how many of those players shot either up or down (mostly up) in the pecking order of prospects this year. Hamilton's second half moved him well ahead of Yorman, in my view. Torreyes (although some were already convinced of it) was a marvel. Lutz planted himself into the picture. (And don't forget, Dominic D'Anna was actually the all-star at that position.) Josh Smith and Daniel Renken made names for themselves. Corcino emerged as probably the best starting pitching prospect in the organization. Lotzkar helped himself by finishing the season healthy. Mitch Clarke really showed something. Duran produced for the first time. Vidal put himself on the map. Barnhart established himself as a very solid prospect. Yorman's stock dropped significantly in light of his ancillary issues. And Drew Hayes came out of practically nowhere to stamp himself as very possibly the system's best relief prospect short of Boxberger, with Howell and Wolford not too far behind. For that matter, you'd have to say that Delino DeShields considerably improved his personal status, as well.

Every player in that preceding paragraph--16 of them--should probably be on our next top-40 list. You could also make a case for at least three more--Rogers, Gerson and Sierra.

To top it off, the Billings team (which, in effect, will become next year's Dayton team) was exciting in its own right.
    Last edited by mace; 09-19-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Yes, Marisnick is a tremendous player and a true five-tool prospect. Many considered him to be the best prospect in the league this season although Rymer Liriano got the league award.

Mace, you covered it all. Probably the best pitching staff you could see over many years, especially when Renken was still there. They had 1-2-3 in the league in strikeouts and three relievers with ERA's under 2.00.

Rogers could be in the top 40, easily. Gerson does not have the same kind of arm, though.

I'd leave YRod at Dayton for at least a half season (to send a message, if nothing else).

There have been a lot of messages already, I think. None of them have worked. Only the player himself can decide when it is time.

But yes, your point is valid. There is no way they can reward with a promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    There have been a lot of messages already, I think. None of them have worked. Only the player himself can decide when it is time.

But yes, your point is valid. There is no way they can reward with a promotion.
    I hear rumors of personal issues that have been getting in the way this year. You can't expect every 18 year old kid coming from Venezuela to America far from his family to make a smooth transition. Nonetheless, he's still got a lot to learn, and he should keep learning it in Dayton.

Yorman also has a child during the season, which is something to consider when judging his attitude this season

Turn Off Ads?