Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

  1. #1
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    The guys at BA rolled out the first league Top 20's today. The Arizona League was the first one. The Reds Gabriel Rosa came in at #15 and was the only Red among the top 20 prospects.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    16,000

    Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    Just to clarify, this is the Arizona League, for rookies -- not the AFL for advanced prospects on the cusp.

    With Rosa, the story is much the same as for most kids that age: has the tools, needs to work on his approach and the details.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  4. #3
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The guys at BA rolled out the first league Top 20's today. The Arizona League was the first one. The Reds Gabriel Rosa came in at #15 and was the only Red among the top 20 prospects.
    I take it that performance is not one of the criteria used. LOL.

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I take it that performance is not one of the criteria used. LOL.
    Nor should it be. Especially at this level.

  6. #5
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nor should it be. Especially at this level.
    As it should be this early in these players' careers. It just struck me as a little odd when looking at the Mustangs' statistics. When would you say that the rankings starting leaning more towards production than potential?

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,314

    Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    As it should be this early in these players' careers. It just struck me as a little odd when looking at the Mustangs' statistics. When would you say that the rankings starting leaning more towards production than potential?
    When they reach the majors. Potential is going to remain more important than production in the minor leagues. I use both when I do my rankings, but I probably lean 70-30 with scouting over production for guys below AA or under 22 years old. Probably drop it to 60-40 for guys older or higher.

  8. #7
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    When they reach the majors. Potential is going to remain more important than production in the minor leagues. I use both when I do my rankings, but I probably lean 70-30 with scouting over production for guys below AA or under 22 years old. Probably drop it to 60-40 for guys older or higher.
    Thanks. I can see that logic.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25