Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

The guys at BA rolled out the first league Top 20's today. The Arizona League was the first one. The Reds Gabriel Rosa came in at #15 and was the only Red among the top 20 prospects.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arizona League Top 20 Prospects (Baseball America)

Just to clarify, this is the Arizona League, for rookies -- not the AFL for advanced prospects on the cusp.

With Rosa, the story is much the same as for most kids that age: has the tools, needs to work on his approach and the details.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The guys at BA rolled out the first league Top 20's today. The Arizona League was the first one. The Reds Gabriel Rosa came in at #15 and was the only Red among the top 20 prospects.
    I take it that performance is not one of the criteria used. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I take it that performance is not one of the criteria used. LOL.
    Nor should it be. Especially at this level.

Nor should it be. Especially at this level.
    As it should be this early in these players' careers. It just struck me as a little odd when looking at the Mustangs' statistics. When would you say that the rankings starting leaning more towards production than potential?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    As it should be this early in these players' careers. It just struck me as a little odd when looking at the Mustangs' statistics. When would you say that the rankings starting leaning more towards production than potential?
    When they reach the majors. Potential is going to remain more important than production in the minor leagues. I use both when I do my rankings, but I probably lean 70-30 with scouting over production for guys below AA or under 22 years old. Probably drop it to 60-40 for guys older or higher.

When they reach the majors. Potential is going to remain more important than production in the minor leagues. I use both when I do my rankings, but I probably lean 70-30 with scouting over production for guys below AA or under 22 years old. Probably drop it to 60-40 for guys older or higher.
    Thanks. I can see that logic.

Turn Off Ads?