Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mayweather KO of Ortiz

Mayweather KO of Ortiz

Suprised this isn't being talked about here yet. Thoughts?

I say Ortiz should have protected himself. Nothing wrong with what Mayweather did.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mayweather KO of Ortiz

Sucks for Ortiz, but I would probably do the same thing if he just headbutted me like he was in a street fight and not a boxing match.

I think it was a dirty move, but justified. Ortiz intentionally heatbutts him, the ref deducts a point, resets them, and just stops paying attention. Ortiz hugs Mayweather once, goes in again to say sorry and eats a left hook and a straight right that knocks him out.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Mayweather acted justifiably. Besides, he was winning that fight even if that event never takes place.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

That's why I really love Dana and the UFC. For the most part, if the fans want a fight, it happens. The only exception has been a bit unrealistic match ups out of weight class ala Sila-GSP (which I actually think will end up happening)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chellelouj12 View Post
    It would be a better match if Mayweather would fight our champion, Manny Pacquiao... There were some negotiations before but I don't what happened afterwards... If the fight would push through, that would be the biggest fight of the century.
    Both guys pretend to want the fight, but I don't think either truly wants it. Both guys have been on the "let's do it" side, but only up to the point where the other guy was on the "no" side. Once one side changed their mind, then the other guy did too.

I would love to see it, but I don't think we will unless both guys are out of their prime by the time it happens and that window is closing rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    That's why I really love Dana and the UFC. For the most part, if the fans want a fight, it happens. The only exception has been a bit unrealistic match ups out of weight class ala Sila-GSP (which I actually think will end up happening)
    When there is only one sanctioning body it makes it a lot easier. And let's be honest, the top boxers are making a TON more money than the top UFC fighters. Mayweather is making what, $20+M a fight these days? All of the fighters on a UFC card aren't making that combined. There is a lot more to lose, financially, as a boxer, if you lose a superfight than there is if you are a UFC fighter. Of course, there is also a lot more to gain.

The very top of the UFC makes pretty good money if you include sponsors. Not $20+ mil but still.

I think the main thing is the attitude of the competitors. Boxing is big on feeding cans to their stars. While this does happen in MMA, (smaller organizations + amateurs) I think you would be hard pressed to find examples where the UFC has "padded" a stars record. The point is, the top contenders in the UFC want to fight the best. Obviously either Pacquiao or Mayweather is ducking the other (if not both).

The very top of the UFC makes pretty good money if you include sponsors. Not $20+ mil but still.
    Yeah, but if any single one of them is making even $2M per fight (non endorsements), I would be surprised. Still, plenty of good money, but not anywhere near the kind of money the top boxers make.

Also forgot to mention, the UFC has bonuses (win bonus, fight of the night, knock out/submission of the night) that help. The very top guys also get a % of PPV buys. I know Lesnar, Silver, GSP get this, I'm not real sure of any others. Pretty much if the PPV buys are greater than X amount, then each buy after that, the fighter gets x% of that buy.

It's difficult to get a certain number amount as alot of it is unknown (sponsors, etc.). I read an article that said Lesnar made $3 million for his fight @ UFC 100.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    (non endorsements)
    Over looked that part of your post. Yes, the base pays really aren't that great. Lesnar usually makes $400,000 a fight. This does not include any type of bonus/sponsorship/PPV buys.

But still, would Mayweather not be able to make anymore pay days if Manny KO'd him? I don't think so.

Over looked that part of your post. Yes, the base pays really aren't that great. Lesnar usually makes $400,000 a fight. This does not include any type of bonus/sponsorship/PPV buys.

But still, would Mayweather not be able to make anymore pay days if Manny KO'd him? I don't think so.
    Sure, he would still make 10-15 a fight I would imagine. I just don't know that he would get the 20-25 he is getting now.

I would love to see the fight though. Just not sure its going to happen anytime soon, which means its going to be a disappointment if it ever does happen.

Turn Off Ads?