Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Actually, A Few Reasons To Be Interested Today.

Actually, A Few Reasons To Be Interested Today.

In an otherwise completely meaningless season finale today, there are a few things to keep an eye on.

Joey Votto sits on 29 homers.

Jay Bruce sits on 97 RBI.

The Reds as a team sit on 79 wins.

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. However, it would be awfully cool to see this team have two hitters with 30 HR/100 RBI seasons. And while there is certainly no difference whatsoever, 80-82 looks so much better to the eye than 79-83 at the end of the day.

I haven't lurked as much around here lately so if it's been touched on I am sorry but when was the last time the Reds had two players with 30/100 seasons?

PS....go Braves!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Actually, A Few Reasons To Be Interested Today.

I really hope Votto gets to 30. He has had such an impressive season considering how much teams pitched around him. I also agree that 80 looks a whole lot better than 79!

Dusty alluded to the idea last night that you don't want to end the season on a "9" like 29 HRs or 199 innings.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dusty alluded to the idea last night that you don't want to end the season on a "9" like 29 HRs or 199 innings.
    ...or 79 wins.

Look, I like Dusty and have no problem at all with the Reds bringing him back- I think continuity is important in building a winning program.

But I'd rather hear the Reds manager talk about wins more than individual numbers of his players.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    ...or 79 wins.

Look, I like Dusty and have no problem at all with the Reds bringing him back- I think continuity is important in building a winning program.

But I'd rather hear the Reds manager talk about wins more than individual numbers of his players.
    I agree. The W count is what matters. Whatever you have to do to increase that is all that counts.

Talking about ending 9's and 97 vs. 100 is just arbitrary false milestones and a lot of number voodoo.

I'm still all fired up about a winning culture. Get off my lawn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

...or 79 wins.

Amen!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Am I the only one hoping the Reds lose today for the better/protected draft pick? I believe if Reds win and Blue Jays lose, Reds will get 16th pick and more importantly unprotected for signing Type A free agents.

Of course, knowing the Reds history, this will be a non-issue as there won't be any high-profile signings considered anyway.
    Go BLUE!!!

Am I the only one hoping the Reds lose today for the better/protected draft pick? I believe if Reds win and Blue Jays lose, Reds will get 16th pick and more importantly unprotected for signing Type A free agents.
    Don't think so. Picks don't alternate leagues any more. I believe the Reds will get #13 or #14, based on what the White Sox do.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Nobody wants a boss that is concerned by the decimal points on the bottom line. I doubt the players are any different. A win or two one way or the other makes little difference.

It's no wonder the players like Dusty and play hard for him.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I really hope Votto gets to 30. He has had such an impressive season considering how much teams pitched around him. I also agree that 80 looks a whole lot better than 79!
    Al Kaline and Andres Galarrga agree. Sam Rice too

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Don't think so. Picks don't alternate leagues any more. I believe the Reds will get #13 or #14, based on what the White Sox do.
    I was going off of this: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/reversestandings
    Go BLUE!!!

...or 79 wins.

He very well might have. Don't take my post as a direct quote of what he said. It was late and I was channel surfing by then...

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I thought the Reds pick was going to be protected too. But, it looks like it'll still depend on todays games.

Chicago (WS), Cincinnati, Washington*, Toronto, and Cleveland could all finish with 80 wins. If that happens 3 of those teams will get the 13-15 (protected) spots in the draft. The tie breaker will be record in previous year. Which wouldn't be good for the Reds.

* Washington will finish with less than 162 games played so if they win they shouldn't have a protected pick.

BP sitting to protect the .300. Can't blame him. He earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    BP sitting to protect the .300. Can't blame him. He earned it.
    Teddy Baseball disagrees.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?