Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves/Cards/Giants

Re: Braves/Cards/Giants

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    (Insert comeback explaining how long he's been a fan, etc.)
    You wouldn't understand Homer, its just different being a Cardinals fan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You wouldn't understand Homer, its just different being a Cardinals fan.

I think you guys are being a little over the top with this, don't you think? Have I made time for every inning of every Reds game the last few weeks? No, I haven't, because I have other priorities, and quite frankly my job and school are more important than watching a cruddy baseball team. I don't think it's so out of the ordinary, and if I go three or four games without actually watching a game, I don't think it makes me less of a fan. I highly doubt Mike stopped following them COMPLETELY, it's just natural to give them less attention when they don't deserve it, to be quite honest.

They're not called the best fans in baseball for nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I highly doubt Mike stopped following them COMPLETELY, it's just natural to give them less attention when they don't deserve it, to be quite honest.
    I think we are simply basing it on what he said. IIRC,he said that he has only watch them occasionally since early August due to their uninspired play.

There are people who are passionate about baseball and their teams, and there are people who casually follow baseball and their teams. Nothing wrong with either, but there is a difference.

At the moment, I'm kind of jealous of him for being able to tear himself away from the frustration for a while. I keep trying, and mostly failing, to leave the tv on the food network and the radio off.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    They're not called the best fans in baseball for nothing!
    Just like Cincinnati is called a baseball town?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think you guys are being a little over the top with this, don't you think? Have I made time for every inning of every Reds game the last few weeks? No, I haven't, because I have other priorities, and quite frankly my job and school are more important than watching a cruddy baseball team. I don't think it's so out of the ordinary, and if I go three or four games without actually watching a game, I don't think it makes me less of a fan. I highly doubt Mike stopped following them COMPLETELY, it's just natural to give them less attention when they don't deserve it, to be quite honest.
    C'mon. To come out and flat out say you're giving up on a team, basically leave the board for two weeks, then come back and start a thread to brag about the Cardinals being back in the hunt?

Homer's got a point.

I think we are simply basing it on what he said. IIRC,he said that he has only watch them occasionally since early August due to their uninspired play.
    I also said I have real life issues I'm dealing with too. My health is certainly an issue (I lost 40 pounds in a month to a month and a half due to my condition) and I have school. My attitude at the time was that the team didn't seem to care so there was no point in watching it anymore. I have other things in my life going on. As I said before, if that is a sin giving up on a team when they look like they have given up coupled with life issues, by all means, send me to Hell.

Now if you all want to continue to harp on frankly a stupid point instead of actually talking about the original topic, we can keep playing this game.

C'mon. To come out and flat out say you're giving up on a team, basically leave the board for two weeks, then come back and start a thread to brag about the Cardinals being back in the hunt?
    Its bragging when someone points out a noteworthy issue that is going on in baseball? I figured that since someone started a thread about Boston/Tampa and Boston's collapse it was only noteworthy to open up a thread about a collapse that is on par with that one. Frankly, it gets a bit annoying having to clarify yourself every time in here because other posters believe you have an agenda or you are trying to brag on something. Leave your paranoia at the door, Homer.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 09-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Getting back to the topic at hand, Cards are 1.5 out and if the Giants win, they will be 3.5 out.

Looks like it's gonna be 3.5 out. I understand how you felt and feel, Mike. There are times I just wanted to throw a shoe at the 46-inch TV I bought last year to watch the playoffs (which really ended really bad really fast), and yet after that bad, horrible experience--getting no-hit and lasting only three games, I had so much enthusiasm for this year even if no moves were made except to add Freddy Lewis, who they had to release. And yet, I've watched every game except those where I was out of town or sick. I could not look away, like many can. I even started a game thread the other day because no one else did. It's in my blood.

I don't doubt your loyalty to your Cards, but I understand that sometimes it's so painful that you just have to throw your hands up and say the heck with them. But you always come back and that is the characteristic of the true fan.

That said, I hope your Cardinals join my Reds on the sidelines this post-season. Of course, your team will add offense and pitching while ours will be "happy with what we have." Sometimes I think being a Reds fan is a disease. And I've got it. Unfortunately.

Put the lime in the coconut and call me in the morning...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I also said I have real life issues I'm dealing with too. My health is certainly an issue (I lost 40 pounds in a month to a month and a half due to my condition) and I have school. My attitude at the time was that the team didn't seem to care so there was no point in watching it anymore. I have other things in my life going on. As I said before, if that is a sin giving up on a team when they look like they have given up coupled with life issues, by all means, send me to Hell.

Now if you all want to continue to harp on frankly a stupid point instead of actually talking about the original topic, we can keep playing this game.

Its bragging when someone points out a noteworthy issue that is going on in baseball? I figured that since someone started a thread about Boston/Tampa and Boston's collapse it was only noteworthy to open up a thread about a collapse that is on par with that one. Frankly, it gets a bit annoying having to clarify yourself every time in here because other posters believe you have an agenda or you are trying to brag on something. Leave your paranoia at the door, Homer.
    The thing that struck me about your remarks Mike, was that you ascerted that it was due to the lack of the Cardinals not caring, when in reality (and not that there is anything wrong with it) they were just playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball. There is a reason the game threads are only 2-3 pages long lately on here...it is hard to keep interest when the games have no (or appear to have no) meaning. Just say so. Don't weave a web of (non-medical, as I know you've had your struggles lately) excuses that rationalize your non-watching.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The thing that struck me about your remarks Mike, was that you ascerted that it was due to the lack of the Cardinals not caring, when in reality (and not that there is anything wrong with it) they were just playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball. There is a reason the game threads are only 2-3 pages long lately on here...it is hard to keep interest when the games have no (or appear to have no) meaning. Just say so. Don't weave a web of (non-medical, as I know you've had your struggles lately) excuses that rationalize your non-watching.
    I didn't want to bring medical stuff into the conversation because its a very personal thing I have been dealing with and I don't like bringing in that stuff into a sports forum. I only did it to defend myself from posters who always attack instead of debate a point in a logical manor.

Someone mentioned it in a previous thread. When a team is playing sub-par and non-exciting baseball, it looks as if they given up or not care. As fans, it is so easy to make that mistake because our hearts are so into it. It is clear the Cards players cared what was going on. It was an overreaction on my part. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it was uninspiring and pathetic ball they were playing for a while.

Turn Off Ads?