Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 9/21

Birthdays- 9/21

Reds:

Troy Afenir (48) Went 6 for 34 as a backup catcher in '92.

Jerry Zimmerman -The '61 Reds might have had the worst catching corps of any pennent winner ever. Jerry was part of that.

Others:

Antonio Bastardo (26) -My favorite name among active players.

Cecil Fielder (48)

Aurelio Lopez -"Senor Smoke" passed away in 1992 at age 44.

Sam McDowell (69) Happy birthday to "Sudden Sam".

Elden Auker -Submarining right-hander who had some good years for Detroit and Boston. Once called the best all-around athlete in the history of Kansas State University; he won nine varsity letter there. Wrote his memoirrs a few years ago; I haven't read them but they're supposed to be pretty good. Has anyone read them?
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 9/21

I didn't know or remmeber that Lopez had died. He was a good reliever for a time.

Sam McDowell could have been a HOF if not for heavily drinking during his playing days. He still had some very good years but could have been one of the greats.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

McDowell came up with Cleveland about the same time as Luis Tiant, and they ended up in kind of a "hare and tortoise" relationship... McDowell was considered the better one early on, but Luis kept plugging away and ended up being much more valuable. Cleveland also came up with another good young pitcher, Sonny Siebert, at about the same time, but being Cleveland they managed to lose anyway...
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 09-21-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I didn't know or remmeber that Lopez had died. He was a good reliever for a time.

If your name is Aurelio and you played in MLB, I would stay out of cars from the ages of 44 to 53.

López was killed in an auto accident a day after his 44th birthday in Matehuala, San Luis Potosí. The car that López drove overturned, and he was thrown from the vehicle.[2] Coincidentally, there have been three players in Major League Baseball history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 53 (Aurelio Rodríguez and Aurelio Monteagudo were the others).
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

My left-hander's calendar on my desk at work says Doug Davis' birthday is today too.
    Hope isn't a strategy

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Jerry Zimmerman -The '61 Reds might have had the worst catching corps of any pennent winner ever. Jerry was part of that.
    You are talking offense, I suppose, and I would have to agree. But the '61 team had so much fire power at most of the other positions that Zimmerman's meager hitting didn't matter much. I loved that team: Robby, Pinson, Coleman, Freese, Kasko, Post, Lynch, Bell. Plenty of fireworks there. Zimmerman finished up his career with Minnesota ('62 thru '68).

Turn Off Ads?