Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worst Fans in College Sports?

Worst Fans in College Sports?

From another thread...

I'm talking absolute vitriol. Hate, even.

Who's the worst?

In 2005, GQ said WVU, tOSU, Duke, and Minnesota made the top (bottom?) ten, along with Maryland, FSU, and Colorado. The only SEC team to make it is Vandy. (Apathy counts here.)

Last year, they came back with a total worst fans list which included professional teams. (Oddly, Cardinal fans didn't make it.) Only five college teams were mentioned: Maryland, WVU, Penn State football, LSU football, and Duke basketball. Wisconsin and Oredon made the dishonorable mention.

Husker Locker counts Penn State, Notre Dame, UT, Mizzou, USC, and South Carolina in their top ten (along with the aforementioned top four-- WVU, Ohio State, Duke, and Minnesota).

What say ye, Redszone? Whose fans make you scream redrum while rolling around in your bigwheel?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Worst Fans in College Sports?

If apathy and bandwagon fans count then I would have to say that the Hurricanes, Rays, and Marlins are about as poor as they come.

Steelers fans are by far the worst I have ever experienced. Just drunken debauchery.

The most obnoxious fan I have experienced was a Cardinal fan. That doesn't mean the whole fan base is bad, although he did follow suit with their manager, pitching coach, and ace.

I have always been annoyed by UK fans mainly because in Cincinnati you are surrounded by them.

I have heard bad things about going to football games in Morgantown.

Equal to me would be UK or Ohio State fans!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

WVU, nowhere else in college sports have I ever feared for my safety or that of my family.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Wisconsin at night gets pretty ugly.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Wisconsin at night gets pretty ugly.
    I went to the OSU/Wisco game at night last year and it was fine. Infact I had a great time hanging and tailgating with their fans before the game.

This topic is tough because of "outliers". Every fan base has stupid fans. Schools like OSU and Penn State and Alabama have more "outliers" because they have more fans. In general though most of these fan bases are just passionate and have traditions that, while some other schools find annoying, are sacred to that school.

I think the worst fans are either band wagon fan bases (Miami) or just generally unsupportive fan bases (UCLA, most of the ACC).

University of Tennessee has to get some mention. Lulu and Junior were not caricatures.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Can't really speak for the worst fan base. But as far as the best goes, I'd have to put Nebraska fans up there pretty high. Been to one game and I didn't come across any unruly fans. Keep in mind, these are the same people who cheered 'Heisman' to Ricky Williams after he torched them in the Big 12 Championship game. They make Cardinal fans look like amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    University of Tennessee has to get some mention. Lulu and Junior were not caricatures.
    UT? What do they ever do other than pound Rocky Top into your brain?

I have a different criteria I guess. I judge by the behavior of fans I interact with at sportsbars and violence that happens on and around campus after a big game

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    UT? What do they ever do other than pound Rocky Top into your brain?

I have a different criteria I guess. I judge by the behavior of fans I interact with at sportsbars and violence that happens on and around campus after a big game
    Nope. Same criteria.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I used to think Cubs fans were the most obnoxious fans anywhere along with Dallas Cowboys fans. I think Steelers fans are about as insufferable as can be too. I even used to think Ohio State fans, the ones in Columbus, were up there as well.

But when I moved south, I learned that everyone else is tame compared to the ever so lovely "SEC Fan". Nothing else is even close in my experience.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Depends on how you clasify "worst"

If we're talking obnoxious, mine is Ohio State. The same fans crucified other schools for recruiting violations or being dirty programs but will turn Jim Tressel into the second coming of Pete Rose.

If we're talking worst in terms of fan behavior, then WVU would top the list, although for the most part, its the younger generation. I can talk with most of the older fans and can carry on a civil conversation. I don't even try to debate with the younger fans anymore. If a young WVU fan throws up Cal's cheating history to me, I just reply "I'd rather have the cheater than the alcoholic" and end it.

In the SEC though, the worst fans as far as behavior is Mississippi State. I still remember a couple years ago when their fans were throwing stuff onto the court after Kentucky won in OT in Starkville that year. They also got hold of DeMarcus Cousins cell phone number and sent harrassing messages, although Cousins did respond back with a "call me" sign after a dunk. Of course, I can't stand their coach either in Rick Stansbury.

As for Duke/UNC, living in West Virginia I can say this. When I first moved here eight years ago was the end of the Gale Catlett era and the beginning of John Beilein. You wouldn't have known WVU had a basketball team at the time but most of the basketball fans I knew followed Duke or UNC (mostly Duke). When WVU started winning, those fans started to switch back to the gold and blue. Basically, the only Duke/UNC experience I have had is bandwagon.
    Last edited by WVRed; 09-21-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Steelers fans, Purdue fans, California sports fans and the worst offenders of all: the entire SEC fan base besides Tennessee and Vandy, with LSU and Arkansas being particularly awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Steelers fans, Purdue fans, California sports fans and the worst offenders of all: the entire SEC fan base besides Tennessee and Vandy, with LSU and Arkansas being particularly awful.
    Sounds like someone just doesn't like the SEC.

Auburn is an incredible football experience for visiting fans. The game day atmosphere is generally electric and the home fans are very courteous and friendly toward visiting fans.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Chalk up another vote for WVU. As a member of Marshall's band in 1997 it was the only time I actually feared for my safety at a game. Fans rocked our bus, threw rocks at us and generally treated us like garbage. I've been to games in that stadium as a neutral fan as well and it always made me feel slightly ashamed to acknowledge that the eer fans were also from West Virginia. I realize they aren't all like that--my parents are diehards and would never behave that way--but as a group they make Mountaineer Field a scary place and not in a good way.

Turn Off Ads?