Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phillips returning.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Phillips returning.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Is Valaika a possible stop gap or will his bat not play? Could Frazier do a Jeff Kent and hit enough to make up for a lack of range?
    Valaika has 1300+PA's in AAA with a sub .675 OPS. I wouldn't count on him at all. Frazier at 2B was a disaster. He couldn't figure out the footwork going the opposite way from what he was used to on the other side of the infield.

Personally, I would start both Henry Rodriguez and Didi Gregorius in AAA next year. I would watch their development and see where I felt things were in July before even considering talking to Phillips about an extension. And even then, he wouldn't like the years I would be willing to offer.

It could be pushing a guy like Gregorius slightly too quickly (he began the year on the DL with some kidney issues before splitting 363 PA's between A+/AA), but the Reds need to figure out what to do for 2013 and Gregorius has to be considered as an option unless they already have it in their heads that they are going out to get a free agent.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Valaika has 1300+PA's in AAA with a sub .675 OPS. I wouldn't count on him at all. Frazier at 2B was a disaster. He couldn't figure out the footwork going the opposite way from what he was used to on the other side of the infield.

Personally, I would start both Henry Rodriguez and Didi Gregorius in AAA next year. I would watch their development and see where I felt things were in July before even considering talking to Phillips about an extension. And even then, he wouldn't like the years I would be willing to offer.

It could be pushing a guy like Gregorius slightly too quickly (he began the year on the DL with some kidney issues before splitting 363 PA's between A+/AA), but the Reds need to figure out what to do for 2013 and Gregorius has to be considered as an option unless they already have it in their heads that they are going out to get a free agent.
    Or we could just sign Jose Reyes and slide Cozart over.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Or we could just sign Jose Reyes and slide Cozart over.
    Ok, you sold me.

Ok, you sold me.
    Or option #2, trade Votto for Rickey Romero and Brett Lawrie. Or would Lawrie be just as bad as Frazier?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Or option #2, trade Votto for Rickey Romero and Brett Lawrie. Or would Lawrie be just as bad as Frazier?
    At second base, he would probably be just as bad or worse. Would be a great grab for third though.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Walt is going to meet with his agent next week in New York to discuss an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Me too. I wonder why clubs don't pursue this concept more. Having lower salaries later in contracts would enable much greater roster flexibility.
    Winning compounds itself.

If you win now, that's likely to increase revenues, which increases the likelihood of winning later (and thus even higher revenues - presumably offsetting the backloaded contract).

It's worth mentioning that Brandon's 2012 club option becomes mutual if he is traded.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Winning compounds itself.

If you win now, that's likely to increase revenues, which increases the likelihood of winning later (and thus even higher revenues - presumably offsetting the backloaded contract).
    Also, as Wimpy used to say in the Popeye cartoons, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
    sorry we're boring

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Walt met with Brandon's people today and exchaged numbers.

We see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Walt met with Brandon's people today and exchaged numbers.

We see what happens.
    It sounds like they are quite a ways apart. My guess is, the Reds offered something like 2 more years beyond what he has and he wants 5 more years or so beyond what he has now.

It sounds like they are quite a ways apart. My guess is, the Reds offered something like 2 more years beyond what he has and he wants 5 more years or so beyond what he has now.
    Yeah, I could see Walt offering 2/25 and a mutual option and Phillips' camp wanting 5/70.

Turn Off Ads?