Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Japanese Merchandise?

Japanese Merchandise?

My 16 year old has developed a love of practically anything Japanese related. She has been into some of the Japanese anime stuff for several years. Can anyone suggest a place anywhere between say the Dayton Mall area and Greater Cincinnati area that caters to Japanese merchandise? I'm not looking for anything in particular. Thanks, BR.
    Last edited by BUTLER REDSFAN; 09-22-2011 at 11:24 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Japanese Merchandise?

Wal-Mart has plenty of merchandise made in Japan.

If she is into anime, she may want to check out Sugoicon in Newport. My buddy does some online comics and has been appearing there as an artist/dealer for a few years. NOt really my scene, but your daughter may enjoy it.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Not a physical store, but play-asia.com has some great stuff she might like. They carry books, games, videos and related merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Wal-Mart has plenty of merchandise made in Japan.

If she is into anime, she may want to check out Sugoicon in Newport. My buddy does some online comics and has been appearing there as an artist/dealer for a few years. NOt really my scene, but your daughter may enjoy it.
    i have never gone to Sugoicon because i would feel like some creepy old dude there. plus i tend to like older more obscure manga/anime instead of the popular manga/anime aimed at teens and young adults. however, the con is held really close to my house & i see the young kids dressed up in the costumes & they really seem to have a good time.

some sci-fi/fantasy cons have a lot of anime/manga activities. some don't. you might look at local cons. in the past Dayton and Indianapolis both held a yearly weekend sci-fi/fantasy con. you can just do an internet search. even if the con doesn't have a ton of anime a lot of folks who like anime also like sci-fi and fantasy. a con can be an absolute blast. you can just be a supergeek for the weekend.

in my experience comic stores usually don't have a lot of manga/anime (or any foreign comics)

all the Half Price Books have a manga section. however, to me their anime always seems to be a bit expensive.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    My 16 year old has developed a love of practically anything Japanese related. She has been into some of the Japanese anime stuff for several years. Can anyone suggest a place anywhere between say the Dayton Mall area and Greater Cincinnati area that caters to Japanese merchandise? I'm not looking for anything in particular. Thanks, BR.
    When I was 16-17 I also went through a period where I really enjoyed anime-type stuff (though I was more into the video game culture than anything else). Of course, that was close to 15 years ago and I was living on the east coast (where it was a lot easier to get stuff). You're better off going online for the best selection of things -- though, if you go someplace like FYE they usually have a Manga/Anime section in the store that'll have DVDs and a small amount of merchandise for some of the more popular stuff. Some comic book stores will carry anime merchandise as well, though I get the sense that the anime/manga culture peaked in the early-2000s and it isn't nearly as prevalent as it was then.

On the subject of Cons (since it was brought up), I attended Otakon (one of the larger ones) back in the 90s with a couple of friends from high school and generally had an "interesting" time. The people watching there is off the charts. I found the crowd was mostly teens / people in their early 20s and nerdy enough that a Star Trek fan would feel cool. Not sure what I'd expect out of a smaller convention in KY/OH, though.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 09-24-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    When I was 16-17 I also went through a period where I really enjoyed anime-type stuff (though I was more into the video game culture than anything else). Of course, that was close to 15 years ago and I was living on the east coast (where it was a lot easier to get stuff). You're better off going online for the best selection of things -- though, if you go someplace like FYE they usually have a Manga/Anime section in the store that'll have DVDs and a small amount of merchandise for some of the more popular stuff. Some comic book stores will carry anime merchandise as well, though I get the sense that the anime/manga culture peaked in the early-2000s and it isn't nearly as prevalent as it was then.

On the subject of Cons (since it was brought up), I attended Otakon (one of the larger ones) back in the 90s with a couple of friends from high school and generally had an "interesting" time. The people watching there is off the charts. I found the crowd was mostly teens / people in their early 20s and nerdy enough that a Star Trek fan would feel cool. Not sure what I'd expect out of a smaller convention in KY/OH, though.
    OK. what was your costume? and we need pictures!

I have never dressed up in costume but people who do seem to really enjoy it. I was at Dragoncon a couple of years ago. 1/3 of the attendees were in some costume or another. lots of Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, pirates, elves, wizards, Dr Who, anime, comics. anything in the 'nerd' genres.
    a boy about 8-9 years old was dressed as a transformer. He literally could transform from a car into a robot. It was pretty cool.

Turn Off Ads?