Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marlins closer Nunez suspended for immigration issue (false identity?)

Marlins closer Nunez suspended for immigration issue (false identity?)

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/...130401963.html

Florida Marlins closer Leo Nunez was placed on the restricted list Thursday and has left the country.

The reason? Two people people familiar with his immigration status told the Associated Press Nunez has been playing under an assumed name, and the issue prompted him to return Thursday to his native Dominican Republic.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marlins closer Nunez suspended for immigration issue (false identity?)

The curse of LoganBuck's fantasy baseball team continues. I have lost nearly half my team to stupid stuff like this over the course of the last month.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The curse of LoganBuck's fantasy baseball team continues. I have lost nearly half my team to stupid stuff like this over the course of the last month.
    That makes two of us. Ugh.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    That makes two of us. Ugh.
    I had a player shoot himself in the leg in fantasy football. I think I win.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I had a player shoot himself in the leg in fantasy football. I think I win.
    I had Chris Coghlin last year when he tore his acl during a post game shaving cream pie incident.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I had Chris Coghlin last year when he tore his acl during a post game shaving cream pie incident.
    I got you guys all beat. I had Kirby Puckett the year he got Glaucoma. I had Brett Butler the year he had cancer. I had Mike Schmidt the year he up and quit. I even had Glenallen Hill the year he missed a month after falling out of bed during a nightmare about spiders.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I had Nick Adenhart...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Whoopy ding dong. The guy is 29 instead of 28. Let's put him on the restricted list and save a couple weeks of salary. The Marlins are a horrible organization. Putting him on the restricted list is par for the course.

To wit:
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/69...vance-demotion

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?o...news&Itemid=42

And I haven't even mentioned what their owner did to the Expos
    Stick to your guns.

Here's an interesting column from ESPN.com about this. For those who wonder why it's such a big deal that he only shaved a year off his age:

The younger the players are, the more desirable they are. Marlins reliever Edward Mujica, a close friend of Oviedo's, told the Herald that, "At 17 years old, you maybe lose $100,000 or $150,000 when you sign [compared to a 16-year-old with the same skills]. And if you're like 18, you might sign for $5,000 and maybe they give you an opportunity."
    http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/s...-fake-name-age
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Worldwide draft would solve this. If everyone had to be 18 to be draft eligible, the only Dominicans lying about their age would be those claiming to be OLDER than they actually are.
    Stick to your guns.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Worldwide draft would solve this. If everyone had to be 18 to be draft eligible, the only Dominicans lying about their age would be those claiming to be OLDER than they actually are.
    It simply is never going to happen. There are too many things that will get in the way.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The big issue is nutrition. Most countries like The Dominican Republic, the kids don't get proper nutrition as they grow up. The older they are, the worse off their bodies. So a kid at 18 isn't going to develop physically as well as a kid at 16 with proper nutrition. Thus a world wide 18+ draft would be devestating to those players' prospects for playing professionally.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The big issue is nutrition. Most countries like The Dominican Republic, the kids don't get proper nutrition as they grow up. The older they are, the worse off their bodies. So a kid at 18 isn't going to develop physically as well as a kid at 16 with proper nutrition. Thus a world wide 18+ draft would be devestating to those players' prospects for playing professionally.
    You're right, and if they shut down the academies, fewer ultrapoor kids will get the intervention they need. From a purely Machiavellian standpoint though, MLB (not the people of the Dominican, necessarily) would be much better off with a worldwide draft.

Maybe the compromise is to turn the Dominican and Venezuelan Winter leagues (16-18 year olds) into an unaffiliated enterprise (sort of like junior hockey). MLB could run the leagues (rather than have teams affiliated with Reds, Pirates, etc) as single entities and MLB teams could split the costs. Theoretically, you'd get the intervention for nutrition, etc.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?