Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The X Factor

The X Factor

So....what did ya think? American Idol Red? That's basically it except I like that L.A. Reid is a part of this and along with Simon I feel they will do a good job cutting thru alot of the crap. These 2 know talent.

As far as the the 1st 2 shows I was encouraged by the talent they showed. Impressed by the (if you will) marquee acts they highlighted. I know there aren't alot of rap fans here but I like good heartfelt music and Chris Rene really struck a nerve with me, quite talented. I just hope he isn't a one trick pony, my gut says he has something good going there though.

The rest of the chaos was insane.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The X Factor

The new female judge is annoying.

Where was security when the guy was exposing himself to a live audience with kids in attendance?

So....what did ya think? American Idol Red? That's basically it except I like that L.A. Reid is a part of this and along with Simon I feel they will do a good job cutting thru alot of the crap. These 2 know talent.

As far as the the 1st 2 shows I was encouraged by the talent they showed. Impressed by the (if you will) marquee acts they highlighted. I know there aren't alot of rap fans here but I like good heartfelt music and Chris Rene really struck a nerve with me, quite talented. I just hope he isn't a one trick pony, my gut says he has something good going there though.

The rest of the chaos was insane.
    I've watched parts of the first two nights. Seems a lot like AI.

Oh, and the one woman.... black, had a few kids, was a waitress I think; really brought down the house, very talented.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Love the show. I like it better than American Idol because (the controversial producer plants aside), the contestants felt more 'real' as amateurs. American Idol has been known the last few years to allow some people in the competition that technically had already signed smaller recording contracts. While there's nothing stopping this show from doing the same, the people they've shown so far seem to be legit (except the over-the-top personalities staged for show).

I really like this show because of the format and having the different categories. I think that will keep some of the clique voting at bay, and give us legitimate finalists. It won't guarantee the rightful winner, but it's a start.

My only complaint with the auditions is that they're spending too much time on the ridiculous plants and not enough time showing the borderline singers that make it through their auditions. I'd like to see more time spent on all the others.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Love the show. I like it better than American Idol because (the controversial producer plants aside), the contestants felt more 'real' as amateurs. American Idol has been known the last few years to allow some people in the competition that technically had already signed smaller recording contracts. While there's nothing stopping this show from doing the same, the people they've shown so far seem to be legit (except the over-the-top personalities staged for show).

I really like this show because of the format and having the different categories. I think that will keep some of the clique voting at bay, and give us legitimate finalists. It won't guarantee the rightful winner, but it's a start.

My only complaint with the auditions is that they're spending too much time on the ridiculous plants and not enough time showing the borderline singers that make it through their auditions. I'd like to see more time spent on all the others.

Totally agree with you Brutus. The trend of AI accepting singers in the show that have signed minor contracts kind of turned me off that show. I think the judges are better in The X Factor and while the host is somewhat annoying with that British accent of his, at least he isn't Ryan Seacrest.

The little girl that started off the show was good and had a great personality. The guy that exposed himself was hilarious b/c it made Paula puke!

-------------------
    Reds4Life.com

This show is awesome. I'm really enjoying it each week. It's much better than American Idol in every way. And there's more talent in this show's pinky finger than there's been in the last 3 years of American Idol combined. I'm very, very impressed with the singers.

As of right now, my favorites are Josh, Rachel, and Melanie; however, Drew, Astro, LeRoy, and Stacy are all great as well.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I thought the show had good potential, but it suffers from some major problems IMO...

#1, The British host is terrible. He has almost no personality and he's a snoozefest. I'm far from a Seacrest fan...but at least he did a good enough job.

#2, Nicole is a putrid judge and mentor. Awful song choices, awful critiques, and says nearly the same thing to every contestant after they finish. She's incredibly dull.

#3, The biggest issue of all is that the show (sort of like The Voice) is more about the judges than the singers. How many times have you seen the judges criticize the contestants they've mentored? Never! I would have hoped at least Simon wouldn't have been a homer, but he is, even when his contestants aren't great and that is a major deal breaker. To me, this creates an unbalanced bias with the show that is hard to swallow. I loved Simon on Idol because he always spoke the truth. Now, he only speaks the truth if its not his contestant. #Fail

Maybe next year they will switch some things up, but I see these items as major disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I thought the show had good potential, but it suffers from some major problems IMO...

#1, The British host is terrible. He has almost no personality and he's a snoozefest. I'm far from a Seacrest fan...but at least he did a good enough job.

#2, Nicole is a putrid judge and mentor. Awful song choices, awful critiques, and says nearly the same thing to every contestant after they finish. She's incredibly dull.

#3, The biggest issue of all is that the show (sort of like The Voice) is more about the judges than the singers. How many times have you seen the judges criticize the contestants they've mentored? Never! I would have hoped at least Simon wouldn't have been a homer, but he is, even when his contestants aren't great and that is a major deal breaker. To me, this creates an unbalanced bias with the show that is hard to swallow. I loved Simon on Idol because he always spoke the truth. Now, he only speaks the truth if its not his contestant. #Fail

Maybe next year they will switch some things up, but I see these items as major disappointments.
    I agree, the host is terrible, but he's rarely on so it's not a big deal to me. Why do they even need a host?

Nicole isn't great, that's for sure, but I don't think she's terrible either. She's average.

Your last point certainly has a lot of merit. I do like Simon better when he says exactly what he's thinking. That being said, there was hardly anything to critique negatively last night. Only a couple acts weren't spot on.

The judges certainly have some seriously big egos. I don't think the show is more about them, but I can see how you view it that way.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Rachel Crow sang last night way beyond her years. Very impressive. Not a big fan of astro. But I guess some people are fans.

sent from HTC EVO

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

Steve Jones is definitely a bore. No disputing that whatsoever. I don't mind Nicole, however. She's neither here nor there for me.

Your third point is the most important, IMHO. My only major complaint for the show thus far is that they're spending more time judging the judges than judging the contestants. I hate it. I want to see their knowledge of the musical industry be utilized by critiquing the performers and letting them know what they're doing right or wrong, not taking jabs at each other for wardrobe, song choice, etc.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Rachel Crow sang last night way beyond her years. Very impressive. Not a big fan of astro. But I guess some people are fans.

sent from HTC EVO
    That kid (Crow) has been the winner in my mind for quite some time. She sings very well, has tons of enthusiasm and charisma and is cute as a button. Even if she doesn't win this competition she is going places. I see her acting, just hope it doesn't ruin her.

As for the show I think there is some solid legit talent regardless who wins. Chris Rene was waning alot for me but he reminded last night why I liked him to begin with, it's his own style and his own songs. I've heard about 4 or 5 of his original songs now and I like them all.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That kid (Crow) has been the winner in my mind for quite some time. She sings very well, has tons of enthusiasm and charisma and is cute as a button. Even if she doesn't win this competition she is going places. I see her acting, just hope it doesn't ruin her.

As for the show I think there is some solid legit talent regardless who wins. Chris Rene was waning alot for me but he reminded last night why I liked him to begin with, it's his own style and his own songs. I've heard about 4 or 5 of his original songs now and I like them all.
    Guess I spoke too soon. Shame that damn fool Scherzinger didn't have the backbone to call it the way everyone on that panel truly seen it. I realize the girl lost because of a lack of votes but I'm guessing that was one of those weeks where her fans got overconfident and didn't think she needed their votes to move on.

--Woody Hayes

Nicole was awful can't believe they continue to send Marcus through when it is becoming clearer and clearer that the voters don't like him. He has now been in the bottom 2 three weeks in a row. Why even have these save me songs if the judges already have their minds made up. Crow outperformed Marcus this week and Drew outperformed him on the save me song last week, and none of it matters.

Some serious changes need to be made, fire the host, and get rid of Nicole. I was glad the audience booed her off the stage last night. She has been terrible, worse than Paula during her doped out AI days.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 12-09-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Nicole was awful can't believe they continue to send Marcus through when it is becoming clearer and clearer that the voters don't like him. He has now been in the bottom 2 three weeks in a row. Why even have these save me songs if the judges already have their minds made up. Crow outperformed Marcus this week and Drew outperformed him on the save me song last week, and none of it matters.

Some serious changes need to be made, fire the host, and get rid of Nicole. I was glad the audience booed her off the stage last night. She has been terrible, worse than Paula during her doped out AI days.
    Well said. I lost all respect for Nicole last night.

On the flip side, I'm still amazed with Josh. What a voice! Only Melanie has a chance to take him down for the title.

Turn Off Ads?