Turn Off Ads?

Thread: DC's Reboot

DC's Reboot

yes. I'm 43 and i read comics.

past that, we are three weeks into DC's reboot: The New 52.

It's awful. generally. Everything that happened in Batman is cannon... well, most everything. Selina doesn't know he is Bruce, but other than that... all cannon. The continuity is all wonkythe JLA is just now forming. Superman is both just starting out and is an established hero. The Legion seems completely unaffected... and worse they seem to still have a complete history with Superman/boy.

Deadman looks good as does Gotham Knights (Vandal Savage is a good guy... kinda) The ramped up the sex in batman while turning Guy Gardner into a shell of his former self in JLI... He's still Guy in GLC though.

This reboot has succeded in getting me to look at BOOM!, Dynamite, Image, Dark Horse and TopCow. I mean if I have to learn new characters all over they might as well be interesting.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: DC's Reboot

I'm actually enjoying quite a bit of it. Then again there is a lot of garbage, too. In other words not much has changed from DC. Action and Detective were both fun even if they are rehashing stories we've read before. I really liked Animal Man and Swamp Thing and would recommend checking them out.

As for the smaller publishers, they print most of my favorite comics. I don't know if you are a Buffy The Vampire Slayer fan but the first issue of both Angel & Faith and Buffy Season Nine were excellent.

Ive found that this is a perfect jumping off point.

Just reading Marvel and Buffy comics right now.

Senor Votto

I've enjoyed the Batman comics so far. I plan on picking up Superman next week. But I'm more of a Marvel guy myself

Senor Votto

Has anyone read the Batman series on the New 52? The first 8 issues are out and IMO they're a fantastic read

Any reboots of Richie Rich and Sad Sack coming out?

I've been considering getting back into comics, but in reality I was never a DC guy. Now that its been out a while though I'll ask, is it worth looking into?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Batman has been outstanding. The new JLA has great art (all hail Jim Lee) at times and the stories have changed enough to find it fascinating. Aquaman has been awesome. (Yeah, I said that. I'm not backing down either.) Teen Titans is slow.

That's all I read. I'm waiting impatiently for the JSA and the Robinson treatment there. That looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Batman has been outstanding. The new JLA has great art (all hail Jim Lee) at times and the stories have changed enough to find it fascinating. Aquaman has been awesome. (Yeah, I said that. I'm not backing down either.) Teen Titans is slow.

That's all I read. I'm waiting impatiently for the JSA and the Robinson treatment there. That looks sweet!
    Couldn't agree more on Batman and Aquaman. Scott Snyder has been knocking it out of the park since he was on Detective pre-Flashpoint.

I feel like there's something lacking with JL, can't quite figure out what it is though. Johns has been tremendous on Aquaman and his continuing Green Lantern run so no complaints there, but I just haven't been blown away with his JL thus far. Lee is always good on art though, so that's worth the price of admission most days.

Biggest disapointment for me has been Justice League International. I was a big fan of the Johns & Jurgens run on Booster Gold (great concept, great supporting cast, etc.) and it was for some unknown reason a casualty of the reboot/reset and I'd hoped JLI wold be at least a decent replacement. It's pretty much been terrible every month and I'm done with it. They can't be all winners I guess.

Overall I have mixed feelings on the "new" DCU. I understand the logic behind it and the effort to bring in new readers, but ultimately it's just a half-measure, like they were too timid to really go all the way and do a total reboot. I think they felt like they needed to do something to help out the Superman and Wonder Woman titles because they've been struggling for awhile, and while Wonder Woman is really good out of the reboot, Superman is still hit and miss (love the idea of Morrison on Action and it has shown flashes, but Superman is pretty blah).

Really though I don't see why they couldn't have done something similar withough losing the continuity they had. Just switch up the creative teams, tweak a few origins and you keep the history you established and get what amounts to a fresh start in a lot of respects. This to me just adds more confusion when it really wasn't necessary. For example - can someone please tell me what is going on with The Flash? So Barry is the Flash, which is totally fine, but he's no longer married to Iris, which to me is a critical part of the character because he's really not the bachelor-type. And then there's the mystery of just what is going on with Wally West. Is he alive? Dead? Never existed? He was a major player in the DCU forever and now there's no sign of him and no mention of any plans. It's beyond odd.

It seems like the Batman and Green Lantern books were left mostly untouched and they haven't missed a beat. Really looking forward to Morrison's Batman Inc. returning. Big fan of his Batman run. I still feel like this could be a temporary thing, as it seems like they've got an out to go back to the old continuity with this Pandora character. Maybe that's the back door in case the bottom falls out of the New 52 campaign.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I've been considering getting back into comics, but in reality I was never a DC guy. Now that its been out a while though I'll ask, is it worth looking into?
    I was never really a DC guy either but I've found Marvel to be lackluster lately. I'm really enjoying Batman and a few others from DC though. Kinda leaning more towards DC than Marvel right now.

Turn Off Ads?