Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moneyball was good

Moneyball was good

If you like pure baseball movies and into the concept of stats then its definitly a good movie to see.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Moneyball was good

It would have been better if they had cast an actor whose skills were undervalued by the rest of the Hollywood ...

Actually, I loved it. It's like a chick flick for guys. And Brad Pitt made it work, instead of it being a weird idea for a movie that could never be made.

There's one scene where I thought Billy Beane was going to call them "lollygaggers!"

Marty's in it. And Joe Morgan (or somebody meant to be him) has more lines than just about anybody.

I can't wait for the sequel: "Hatteberg: The Cincinnati Years"

I'm curious now to how they got Marty into this story.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I honestly thought it was ok at best. I saw it a few weeks ago and wasn't really impressed by it. Maybe I expected more or something better.

I haven't seen it, but it's weird how dated the book already seems.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'm not a fan of sports movie myself, but boy Jason Whilock came off as a major league arse in his article on it. What a pudz

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm not a fan of sports movie myself, but boy Jason Whilock came off as a major league arse in his article on it. What a pudz
    Would you expect anything more from him?

Quote Originally Posted by signalhome View Post
    Would you expect anything more from him?
    Well he writes about football and basketball mostly and I don't follow those sports so I haven't read too much by him. But he really layed an egg talking about baseball.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Thanks for making me have to look that up and then losing an IQ point or two while reading it....

Well he writes about football and basketball mostly and I don't follow those sports so I haven't read too much by him. But he really layed an egg talking about baseball.
    Don't worry, you haven't missed much. I've read quite a few of his football articles and they were always beyond idiotic. It isn't surprising to see the same extending to baseball as well.

Haunted by walks

I know the real story was more nuanced than the book made it sound, and the book was more complicated than the movie could tell, but I thought the movie did a good job of telling an arcane story. And the audience in the theater applauded afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I know the real story was more nuanced than the book made it sound, and the book was more complicated than the movie could tell, but I thought the movie did a good job of telling an arcane story. And the audience in the theater applauded afterward.
    Yeah, but were they stat wankers?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I saw it as well, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The audience seemed receptive, and definitely not hardcore stats geeks.

Loved the trade scene. Classic Sorkin there.

Although the Jeremy Giambi timeline was wrong, wasn't it?
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I saw it as well, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The audience seemed receptive, and definitely not hardcore stats geeks.

Loved the trade scene. Classic Sorkin there.

Although the Jeremy Giambi timeline was wrong, wasn't it?
    Both Giambi and Bradford were in Oakland in 2001. In the movie it made them seem like they were new.

Also, Peņa was a player to be named later in a deal that happened in early July.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Both Giambi and Bradford were in Oakland in 2001. In the movie it made them seem like they were new.

Also, Peņa was a player to be named later in a deal that happened in early July.
    My son pointed that out to me when we got home about Bradford.Didn't it seem like Howe was pushing to get fired for refusing to play Hatte at 1st.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Turn Off Ads?