Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

7 14.00%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

1 2.00%
  • OF Juan Duran

17 34.00%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

1 2.00%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

6 12.00%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

1 2.00%
  • OF Denis Phipps

3 6.00%
  • RHP Dan Renken

0 0%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

6 12.00%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

7 14.00%
  • 3B David Vidal

1 2.00%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #11 2B Ron Torreyes
    #12 OF Dave Sappelt
    #13 UT Todd Frazier
    #14 SS Didi Gregorius
    #15 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #16 LHP Tony Cingrani

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #17 prospect?

Sulbaran again. I think he has potential to become a solid #2. He just needs the right coaching.

Duran. He went #17 last year, and other than his high strikeout rate, he's done nothing but improve his prospect status.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Duran. He went #17 last year, and other than his high strikeout rate, he's done nothing but improve his prospect status.
    That's all true, and most of the numbers would suggest that Duran made a lot of progress in 2011. But I'm having trouble getting past the several eyeball accounts that have described him, essentially, as utterly hopeless against 1) off-speed pitches, and 2) fly balls. Granted, he's still awfully young, but with those very significant obstacles, and in spite of his prodigious power, I have a hard time ranking him above a guy (Barnhart) who was born in the same year (91, although eight months earlier), played last season at the same level (Dayton), has demonstrated vastly better contact skills, mans a critical position, and has been rated as the best defensive catcher in all of the minor leagues.
    Last edited by mace; 12-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.

I went Sulbaran here. Great potential if he can reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    That's all true, and most of the numbers would suggest that Duran made a lot of progress in 2011. But I'm having trouble getting past the several eyeball accounts that have described him, essentially, as utterly hopeless against 1) off-speed pitches, and 2) fly balls. Granted, he's still awfully young, but with those very significant obstacles, and in spite of his prodigious power, I have a hard time ranking him above a guy (Barnhart) who was born in the same year (91, although eight months earlier), played last season at the same level (Dayton), has demonstrated vastly better contact skills, mans a critical position, and has been rated as the best defensive catcher in all of the minor leagues.
    Duran has more upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Duran has more upside.
    More upside does not necessarily equate to a better prospect. He has a very long way to go.

Changing my vote here. Orginally had Renken in this spot, but moved him down after some research. Going with Tim Crabbe based on his promising 2011, his mid 90's fastball and what BA calls the best slider in the system. He and Sulbaran are close, and even though Crabbe's BB/9 were slightly higher, I still think he has better control. Sulbaran with a high number of Hit Batsman and Wild Pitches may be a bit revealing. There are about 10 guys who could reasonably get my vote here. I strongly considered Sulbaran, sticking with Renken or going with David Vidal, Tucker Barnhardt, Brodie Greene or Juan Duran, but Crabbe it is. Phipps and Waldrop can't be forgotten either.
    Last edited by mth123; 12-02-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I've got Sulbaran now until he gets picked. I really think Sulbaran, Phipps, and Rosa are all better prospects than Cingrani, and, especially, Duran. But, as in last round, Sulbaran.

Can we have Reds MILB Pitcher of the Year Josh Smith added for the next round?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Going with Gabriel Rosa here. There is a reason that the Reds took him in the 2nd round this past year.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Going with Gabriel Rosa here. There is a reason that the Reds took him in the 2nd round this past year.
    No, there isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was thinking along those lines for a while and then realized that there was a reason Duran was paid a $2 Million bonus, Lamarre was a 2nd rounder himself, Sulbaran and Waldrop signed way over slot, Barnhardt was named best defensive catcher in the minors, Crabbe promoted to AA and improved, etc, etc, etc,
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Phipps is going to make more money in the bigs than several of the guys who will end up higher than him on this list.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Phipps is going to make more money in the bigs than several of the guys who will end up higher than him on this list.
    That is probably true. That doesn't make him a better prospect though, because we can't identify the guys who will flame out vs the guy who is very likely a 4th/5th outfielder.

Turn Off Ads?