Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn Lowest BA in Baseball History

Adam Dunn Lowest BA in Baseball History

Adam Dunn of the White Sox hit just .159, but didn't play Wednesday and finished with 496 plate appearances, six shy of qualifying. The post-1900 record low among qualifiers was set by Rob Deer at .179 in 1991.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ZLGkQBM2

Congratulations to the Big Donkey for having the lowest (post-1900) batting average in baseball history. I know the article stated he came up six PA shy of qualifying but I think they are wrong and here is why.

An official MLB rules states the following:
    From 1967 to the present, if the player with the highest average in a league fails to meet the minimum plate-appearance requirement, the remaining at-bats until qualification (e.g., 5 ABs, if the player finished the season with 497 plate appearances) are hypothetically considered hitless at-bats; if his recalculated batting average still tops the league, he is awarded the title. (This policy was invoked in 1981, securing Bill Madlock his third NL batting crown, and in 1996, when NL titlist Tony Gwynn finished the year with only 498 PAs.)
    In other words, if a player lacks the required amount of PA then these are 'hypothetically' given to him as hitless. Right or wrong, agree or disagree those are the rules. If it works at the high end of the batting average spectrum why not the low end?
    Extrapolating then, if we are determining the lowest batting average of all-time, we simply inverse that rule and assume the player would have gotten hits in each of the additional PAs needed to reach the qualifying standard.
    Adam Dunn was six plate appearances shy. He is given a 'hypothetical' hit in each. He goes from 66 for 415, to 72 for 421. This calculates out to a .173 batting average. And, Bingo!, there you go. Move over, Rob Deer, there is a new sheriff in town. Congratulations are in order for Adam Dunn for having the lowest batting average in the history of baseball (post-1900).
    Obviously this is written with tongue firmly in cheek. Just having a little fun is all. But I did run it by the Big Donkey himself and he seemed mighty pleased.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-29-2011 at 08:19 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Adam Dunn Lowest BA in Baseball History

I can't tell. Is it US Cellular Field? The AL pitching? The batters around him? Or did he just hit a gigantic wall?

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? Even if he hit safely in all 6 non-AB's, his average would still be abysmal.

Dunn would look great in Left for the home team next year>
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Dunn would look great in Left for the home team next year>
    Which home team?

Hall of Famer, my elbow! I told many folks this many times and was told he will make the Hall, someday. NO way in Hell!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This is really funny.

Dunn never worked to improve himself as a player and he has hit a wall. It will be interesting to see if he does anything in the offseason to get it back (if he can).

Contract notwithstanding....I would still take him over Stubbs...

easily, stubbs should have to hit his way out of triple AAA

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    easily, stubbs should have to hit his way out of triple AAA
    He already did...

not good enough send him back there until he produces as well as francisco,

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    not good enough send him back there until he produces as well as francisco,
    Not good enough according to whom? Joe "lazy boy chair" fan or Dusty and Walt? Cause what Joe fan thinks don't mean squat.

Why are so many threads derailing into Stubbs bashing haha?

Stubbs is lightyears better than Adam Dunn at this point. It's not even arguable. If Dunn isn't hitting he brings absolutely nothing to your team. Unless you want bad defense and slow overweight baserunners.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Why are so many threads derailing into Stubbs bashing haha?

Stubbs is lightyears better than Adam Dunn at this point. It's not even arguable. If Dunn isn't hitting he brings absolutely nothing to your team. Unless you want bad defense and slow overweight baserunners.
    I believe it has to do with the inability to judge talent and a rush to judgement off very little data.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Not good enough according to whom? Joe "lazy boy chair" fan or Dusty and Walt? Cause what Joe fan thinks don't mean squat.
    From the looks of the season just turned in by Reds Mismanagement, what they think doesn't really amount to much either.

Turn Off Ads?