1 2.22%
  • 7th inning or earlier in 2012

14 31.11%
  • Don't resign in 2012

18 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Masset: What's Next?

Nick Masset: What's Next?

Nick had a terrible year, in my opinion. It seemed like each time he needed to hold a runner, prevent a big run, whatever Dusty called him to do in favor of Bray or the starter, he failed. The leverage stats indicate he wasn't good in high leverage:

Code:

Split           G  PA  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/BB   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
    High Lvrge     36 104  89 21 33  6  0  3  0  0 13 14  1.08 .371 .451 .539 .990 48   2   0  2  0   5   0  .417   166   177
    Medium Lvrge   33  58  49  4 13  2  0  0  0  0  8 13  1.63 .265 .362 .306 .668 15   1   0  0  1   1   0  .351    81    87
    Low Lvrge      43 145 134 12 30  7  0  2  0  0 10 32  3.20 .224 .283 .321 .604 43   1   1  0  0   0   1  .280    62    71
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 9/26/2011.

This year he took a major step backwards statistically. His K/9 dropped from 10 to 7.8, his walks are a bit higher than last year, and are high in general, at 4.1. His WHIP is 1.56. I know relievers can have fluctuating years, but he about wore me out this year and I won't mind if he's replaced next year somehow if it means we can get a guy with more deceptive stuff and a high K rate. He is definitely upgradable.

Code:

Year    ERA  G   IP HR BB SO ERA+  WHIP  H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
    2009   2.37 74 76.0  6 24 70  178 1.026  6.4  0.7  2.8  8.3  2.92
    2010   3.40 82 76.2  7 33 85  120 1.265  7.5  0.8  3.9 10.0  2.58
    2011   3.82 73 68.1  5 31 59  102 1.566 10.0  0.7  4.1  7.8  1.90
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 9/26/2011.

Who knows, next year could be a bounce back year for him. But I'd rather see the Reds find an 8th inning guy with a better track record.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Nick Masset: What's Next?

I certainly am not going to let him walk away. I do know that much. He still has a good arm. 2011 was a bit of a let down. But aside from that, I don't know what role I would put him in.

Everyone is replacable. Especially someone who has been extremely ineffective.

Either he's tipping his pitches, his hit rate is going up while his BB rate has stabilized, or or he's losing some movement on his pitches for some reason.

If it's the former, that can be fixed.

If it's the latter.. i really don't know.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

-The Insider-

If Chapman does go into the rotation and the Reds don't sign a set-in-stone closer, I'd expect Masset to get the first nod at the ninth inning. However, I don't think he'll fulfill that role the entire year.

He's not worth going to arbitration with. I'm sure the Reds can find someone to be just as ineffective for the league minimum.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    If Chapman does go into the rotation and the Reds don't sign a set-in-stone closer, I'd expect Masset to get the first nod at the ninth inning. However, I don't think he'll fulfill that role the entire year.
    The way Masset has pitched this year, it is hard to believe the Reds would let him close games next year.

IMO the Reds need to re-stock the bullpen. Ondrusek, Bray, and Masset have been poor in the second half.

Some folks attribute this to overuse early in the season. I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes relievers burn themselves out pretty quickly.

Even if the Reds keep all these guys, they need some new relievers for late in games.

Right now, Arredondo and Lecure are the most effective guys in this pen. I don't know why we should expect the others to be good again in April, frankly.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The way Masset has pitched this year, it is hard to believe the Reds would let him close games next year.

IMO the Reds need to re-stock the bullpen. Ondrusek, Bray, and Masset have been poor in the second half.

Some folks attribute this to overuse early in the season. I don't necessarily agree. Sometimes relievers burn themselves out pretty quickly.

Even if the Reds keep all these guys, they need some new relievers for late in games.

Right now, Arredondo and Lecure are the most effective guys in this pen. I don't know why we should expect the others to be good again in April, frankly.
    Not that I want Masset there, it's just if they don't get anyone there isn't really any other choice. I do like Arredondo as the closer but I thought I'd get too much crap if I mentioned him for the closer role.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Not that I want Masset there, it's just if they don't get anyone there isn't really any other choice. I do like Arredondo as the closer but I thought I'd get too much crap if I mentioned him for the closer role.
    I doubt they would have Arredondo close, just for lack of experience in that spot.

However, I would have no problem with Arredondo being part of a late inning group of set up men. He's improved (injury is now in the rear view mirror) and he's effective. Next year he should be even better.

I hope Walt pays attention to the bullpen this off-season. It needs work.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I doubt they would have Arredondo close, just for lack of experience in that spot.

However, I would have no problem with Arredondo being part of a late inning group of set up men. He's improved (injury is now in the rear view mirror) and he's effective. Next year he should be even better.

I hope Walt pays attention to the bullpen this off-season. It needs work.
    He was suppose to be the Angels' closer of the future. Or could be at least.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I certainly am not going to let him walk away. I do know that much. He still has a good arm. 2011 was a bit of a let down. But aside from that, I don't know what role I would put him in.

I just don't know what to think of Arredondo. If it was the TJ issue that really hurt his control this season then I would be ok with him assuming a late inning spot. But there were times when Arredondo couldn't find hope plate to save his life. If you believe his control will improve then by all means put him in a high leverage situation.

Masset I am totally confused by. Last year he was absolutely a beast after April. He probably has the best stuff (sans Chapman) in the pen and maybe on the entire staff. If I were a betting man I would bet Masset has a better year than Arredondo but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Unfortunately that good arm comes in a package deal with his head.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I bring him back. Like Doug, I'm not sure in what role, and I wouldn't pay too much for him, but he does have a pretty lively arm.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

High five!

Masset's career peripherals are eerily similar to his 2011. The one exception is his BABIP which is around .025 higher this year (.336) than over his career (.311.) I'd guess that it's likely his "real" BABIP is right around .300 (like it is for more pitchers) so if he returns to that level of BABIP next year, it will seem like he's a better pitcher.

The best thing he could do peripheral-wise is cut down on the walks.

Turn Off Ads?