Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Catching Hell" debuts tonight at 8

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

"Catching Hell" debuts tonight at 8

The Steve Bartman documentary debuts at 8 EST tonight on ESPN. Just a heads-up for anyone who is interested in watching that might have forgotten.

ESPN has a laundry list of problems. One of them is not documentaries. They are right up there with HBO when it comes to sports docs. The 30-for-30 series was excellent.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: "Catching Hell" debuts tonight at 8

Missed it. I am so mad.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Missed it. I am so mad.
    I have a feeling it might be re-aired
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re-airing at 10 PM ET on Thursday night on ESPN 2 for any knuckleheads like me who forgot. Also again at 11 PM that night.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If you missed it make sure you catch one of the replays. It is a fantastic documentary.

I DVR'd it last night but also got home earlier than expected and was able to watch it. It's a fantastic documentary, and I highly recommend it to anybody here.

One thing I've come to realize is that I feel truly sorry for Bartman himself. The incident is funny in terms of bad things happening to the Cubs, but for the Bartman the man, I simply cannot imagine what his life has been like since that night.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I DVR'd and will watch it sometime soon. I've always felt really bad for Bartman. He did what thousands of other fans have done and will do in the future;just trying to get himself a foul ball. It's a shame he has to live with this infamy. I wonder if he still follows baseball at all anymore?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I watched most of it last night and finished it this morning. They spent basically the first 15 minutes of the show going over the Buckner error in the 86 Series. And they came back to him later in the movie for his redemption. I see the parallels but did they think no one would watch it without some reference to the Red Sox? All in all I thought it was very good. It was a searing indictment of the media. To their credit, some of the media said they really felt conflicted about making this story so big. I liked how they talked to the other fans sitting around him and showed that there but for the grace of God goeth them. They did some great work with eliminating some fans with CGI and highlighting Bartman and/or the others sitting artound him to show that if the fans hadn't tried to catch it that Alou most likely would have caught it. I don't remember if they showed this but I would have liked to have had them recreate the play from Bartman's angle.

It is very sad for Bartman. Like they said he probably can't use credit cards since they have his name on it. I would think most Cubs fans have forgiven (like there's really anything to forgive) him but he probably can't take the chance to go out and do things in relative anonimity like you and I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It is really amazing how the other Alex Gonzalez is a completely forgotten man even though he botched a likely routine double play ball.

Watching the documentary last night had me thinking...how would the fans in Cincy reacted during a similar moment?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I wonder if this would have been such a big deal if it had happened 10 years earlier. In 1993 not everyone had their cell phone with them to relay information to their friends on what happened. The Internet was in its infancy so it would be more difficult to find out personal information about Bartman.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Bartman is one weird dude. I definitely feel sorry for him, but by becoming a complete recluse, he's made things harder on himself IMO. The guy can't even use a credit card because he doesn't ever want to be identified. He pays "straight cash homey" for anything he buys in person. But why live like a freakin' fugitive for something you did that wasn't even wrong? Anyone would have reached for that ball (and plenty other fans around Bartman did) and everyone in Chicago has been long ready to "forgive" him... even though it's ridiculous he needs to be forgiven for something that wasn't a wrongful act on his part in the first place.

Alou was the real "A-hole" (to quote the chant in the documentary) here. If he doesn't throw a hissy fit, no one blames Bartman. Also, if Bartman stands up, defends himself and says "Everyone was going for the ball" ... he doesn't get nearly as much heat IMO. He became an easy target because he just sat there and took the abuse. He looked like he was guilty of doing something wrong, even though he wasn't. Then it just got progressively worse until he was ushered out. (Smart move by the security team at Wrigley. Seriously. It was about to get really bad and it was already embarrassingly bad. Bartman's safety was absolutely in jeopardy. Even the three "friends" he brought to the game with him ditched him after they were ushered out.)

The guy needs to come out of hiding and deal with this before it kills him. He will eventually. Like the movie pointed out, it took Bill Buckner 21 years. Maybe it will take the Cubs winning the World Series for Bartman. But for his sake, I hope not, because that's obviously never going to happen. Ha.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 09-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Moises Alou had a lot to do with the developments that night, IMO. The whole Steve Bartman deal angers me to no end. What kind of people blame their sorry woes on a young man reaching for a foul ball at a baseball game? Ridiculous.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

This incident is what made me cross the line over into Cub-hating territory. Not that I'd been a fan before; I'd always thought the Lovable Losers thing was ridiculous, but I thought the reaction to this incident was beyond the pale.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Watched it again tonight.

When the Steve Bartman movie is made, I think Ben Stiller should play Steve.
    Hopefully Bartman never goes postal and the movie is never made, but if it is, it has to be Stiller. I'm picturing Stiller (Tropic Thunder style) going after the fans one by one that taunted him. Maybe they could throw in a Robert Downey as a sidekick and make it a comedy.

By the way, Cubs fans should be ashamed of themselves. They deserve crap forever. They suck at life.

One more thing. Typical and ironic of ESPN to air a story of the hysteria and ugliness of the human race when they helped sensaltionalize it at the time.

ESPN is the suck too. They and dirty Cubs fans belong together.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

And one more thing.

Think about this sad fact. This was two years after 9-11. It really is sad what our civilization has become when you think of it. But enough of me and my soapbox, can the Reds get a shortstop that can hit his weight? World peace be damned.

Turn Off Ads?