Turn Off Ads?

Thread: So, What do You Think? Mesoraco...

So, What do You Think? Mesoraco...

What do you think so far? I haven't heard any concerns about his slow start, as there shouldn't be, but what do you see that you like? Our "next Johnny Bench" (just kidding) is here.

-He sure can sting the ball (as can the other 3 AAA sluggers Juan, Yonder and Frazier).
    -His arm looks great behind the plate.
    -His BABIP is probably pretty low, as he seems to pop up a lot.
    -In general, he's been behind the count a lot, maybe a little too patient early on, but I like his eye.
    -As long as he doesn't put too much pressure on himself I think he'll probably hit .275/.340/.425 next year splitting time with Hannigan, who I'm thinking gets most of the starts.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, What do You Think? Mesoraco...

I'm mostly concerned with his handling of pitches and pitchers. He looks a bit sloppy in that area, but it might just be jitters.

His bat looks fine. A powerful swing, makes contact, good pitch recognition. This might seem silly, but he just looks like a major leaguer when he's at the plate. The only other rookie I get that from is Alonso.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think he's tired. Long season.

The Bat--Legit Power, a couple of the homers looked like he muscled them out, laid out some frozen ropes in NY

Behind the plate--a little sloppy on receiving the ball right now, above average arm strength and release
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I think the Reds should be very patient with him. Put him in at least halftime next year and give him time to develop. Within a couple of years he could be in the top third of catchers, but don't expect that to happen immediately.
    Last edited by tixe; 09-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I think the Reds should be very patient with him. Put him in at least halftime next year and give him time to develop. Within a couple of years, he could be in the top third of catchers, but don't expect that to happen immediately.
    I hope (barring injury) that it breaks down to about a 60/40 platoon with Hanigan. I do think Mes wore down this season but also that his upside is pretty substantial. He may have a Brian McCann upside which would be fantastic.

I am slightly concerned about Hanigan and his wearing down as the season goes along. If he can't handle a part time load and breaks down towards the end of the season that will put more of the burden on Mes. It could end up being a very good thing, but it could also end up hurting him.

I've never been a fan of Mesoraco as a receiver. I don't like how he sets up, how he tips pitches, and how he sets up a target for pitchers (i.e. I'd like to see a more steady glove hand before the pitchers start their windups). Also, I'd like to see him frame pitches a little better. Otherwise, I love his athleticism behind the dish, and I see nothing wrong with his throwing abilities. With the bat, I'd like to see him start slightly closer to the plate so he's less susceptible to outside breaking pitches. It may result in more foul balls down the left field line, but it also might result in more opposite field hits. He displayed less plate discipline than he did in the minors, but that's completely normal, and I expect that to wear off--just ask Yonder Alonso. Even when I was singing his praises and telling people not to give up hope on him, I was never 100% sold on his bat (although I have been credited for being more optimistic about it than others were a few years ago). With that said, I think some people may have unfair expectations for him. In his prime, I'd expect him to turn into something like a Dan Wilson as a 26-to-28-year-old with a handful more walks and 5-10 more home runs annually. If that happens, I think we should all be extremely thrilled. I think there's a very good reason why the only legitimate trade rumors we've seen Mesoraco mentioned in were involving Cliff Lee.

Resident PED Expert

I think he looked tired. I also think he was pressing at the plate.

Put up better numbers than Alonso did last year in his September call up.

He has a nice quick swing, probably will have to move in closer to the plate as pitchers start.pounding the outside...

Looks lazy behind the plate. But.that could be fatigue.

http://baseballinstinct.com/2011/11/...ncinnati-reds/

Overall, Mesoraco, isn’t a bat first catcher that will be a stretch for success as a catcher. He’s an overall package with all of the physical tools needed to be a successful full time catcher. How good he’ll be with the bat is going to be determined by how patient of a hitter he can grow into.
    Pretty good run down on Mez.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

They also have a good run down on Grandal.
    http://baseballinstinct.com/2011/11/...ncinnati-reds/

Turn Off Ads?