Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terry Francona

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: Terry Francona

Meh, he's nothing special. He lets the inmates run the asylum. An approach that has worked most of the time, especially 2004. A quality manager should have figured this September trainwreck out and got at least two more wins.

This never would have happened to Joe Torre.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What do the Red Sox spend, like 200 mil per year? Compared to our 80....hmm.

yeah lets defend baker, after all, baker is a scientific genius

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    yeah lets defend baker, after all, baker is a scientific genius
    I think the point is we really don't know how good Terry is. He was given some incredible talent that most teams can't even begin to afford and was able to "guide" them to the playoffs and WS titles. What happens when he is given say an average talented team and really has to coach/manage them up...then what happens? Also, I believe it's a little easier to manage in the AL over the NL...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I like Francona and Joe Torre. But I always have a hard time respecting managers who have a team of All-Stars. Other than managing personalities, there's not a whole lot else to do.

Geez, when you have Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, and Roy Oswalt........how often are you gonna lose? Geez.

Baseball needs a salary cap. Or another thing they could do is limit the number of players you have on your team making a certain amount. For instance....

You can have 2 players on your team making over $15M per year.
    You can have another 5 players on your team making between $10M and $15M.
    You can have another 8 players making $5M to $9.9M.
    And so on and so on.........

I haven't really thought it out, but I think they could come up with some kind of player salary limitations per team. That way a team like the Yankees couldn't stock up on 10 players making $15M to $25M per season.

And no deferred salaries.

Joe Torre managed for 29 years. In the 17 years that he managed teams other than the New York Yankees he never won a pennant nor took a team to the world series. He did have some success with other teams, winning three division titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I like Francona and Joe Torre. But I always have a hard time respecting managers who have a team of All-Stars. Other than managing personalities, there's not a whole lot else to do.

Geez, when you have Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, and Roy Oswalt........how often are you gonna lose? Geez.

Baseball needs a salary cap. Or another thing they could do is limit the number of players you have on your team making a certain amount. For instance....

You can have 2 players on your team making over $15M per year.
    You can have another 5 players on your team making between $10M and $15M.
    You can have another 8 players making $5M to $9.9M.
    And so on and so on.........

I haven't really thought it out, but I think they could come up with some kind of player salary limitations per team. That way a team like the Yankees couldn't stock up on 10 players making $15M to $25M per season.

And no deferred salaries.
    Nice idea...never will happen, players won't allow it and they control baseball, not the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Word is he is out as Red Sox manager at season end unless they win the World Series....would you take him as Reds manager?
    Only if he slows down his gum chewing to 3 times his heart rate.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Did BornInCincy get sent on a vacation?

Turn Off Ads?