Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to the Cardinals...

Re: Congratulations to the Cardinals...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Adron Chambers got two of the most important hits on the season for the Cards late in the year and he was a September callup. If Adron Chambers does not get those key hits, the Cards would not be in the position they are in now. Tyler Greene, Brandon Dickson, Shane Robinson, and Sanchez all got called up in the stretch run and contributed. I guess I don't understand what you are trying to point out here. Why would the Cardinals start minor league players (which they could have like Tyler Greene on a daily basis, which I called for by the way) when they were still scratching and clawing their way into wild card position? The Cards farm system, including AAA, does have talent and some of those players could have been used in the last month. It just didn't make sense in some cases to call players up if they were not going to get any playing time. We are talking about Tony LaRussa here.

Yeah clearly I'm a homer when I say that "I don't expect the Cards to win this series but I also don't expect them to get swept either." I guess for me to be a completely objective non-homer and go the Jerry Springer route, I should go all out and say "yeah, those dang Cardinals, they suck and are going to get swept by the Phillies. They are going to be blown out 25-0 in the first game". Geesh, you can't win for losing in here sometimes.
    I was referring to your defense of any suggestion that the Cards haven't had a very good farm system for quite some time.

Then there's your reappearance when the Cards get back in the race and start waxing eloquent yet again on what a great organization they are, after chiding folks for not understanding that you had not been around due to "life happening" and having talked about how done you were with them....until they suddenly jumped back in the race. Funny, you were absent after the Reds swept the Cards early in the season also. You had an excuse then also. Maybe its fair-weather fan more than homer. The jury's still out.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thoroughly enjoyed that game tonight!

That is another 12 million off the books. Essentially you are looking at a total of about 32 million off the books by 2013 if the Cards decide not to resign Lohse, Westbrook, and Berkman at that point. By that time, the guys we have in the minors should be ready by then. Bottom line, much to your chagrin, the Cards won't be going away anytime soon.
    If the Cardinals re-sign Pujols (I believe they will), then I'm guessing he will have a back loaded contract. That backloaded contract would likely take up the majority of the savings from Lohse and Westbrook's contracts.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I'm late to this but, congrats are in order to the Cards for an amazing comeback, taking the wild card. It shows the quality level of play in the NL Central. However, I hope the Phils sweep.

Well congrats once again to the Cardinals fans on tORG after taking down the Phillies. I will definitely be rooting for Milwaukee, but as much as I dislike the team I can appreciate the kind of resolve they have shown considering they lost their ace before the season even started.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 10-08-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Still not congratulating the Cardinals team. I wanted them sent home with a sweep, feathers plucked, beaks knocked off, tailfeathers gone and wings broken. The only thing I got was Cris Carpenter with his shirt off while Ryan Howard writhed in pain on the ground.

And to make the night even worse, watching two of my least favorite MLB players be the heroes for Milwaukee made me ill.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I have absolutely no desire to congratulate the Cardinals on making the playoffs or tip my cap to them on beating the Phillies. For me they still are and will always be the enemy.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The cardinals can kiss my grits

I never gave congratulations to the hated Dodgers, and I'll be darned if I'm gonna do it with the Snards. I hope they go down in a flaming abyss to the Brewers so we can hear the excuses fly.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I edited my post to clarify. I was intending to congratulate the Cardinals fans that post up here because they are respectful and add value. I would never in my life actually aim to congratulate the Cardinals organization on anything (except getting rid of Carpenter and LaRussa).
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Are we possibly looking at a repeat of the 1968 World Series, Cardinals vs Tigers? Could Justin Verlander be a modern day Mickey Lolich? ( minus quite a few pounds )

Ryan Howard and Hunter Pence have to be two of the most overrated players in all of baseball. Congrats to the Phillies on being overrated.

Ahhh, they get a tip of the Roy cap.

Beating Roy Halliday in Philly in a deciding playoff game 1-zip in front of 45K+ booing and nasty Phillie fans takes some serious nads. The Reds went there last year and peed in their pants like little girls.

I still don't like them but they get my respect for what they did.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Are we possibly looking at a repeat of the 1968 World Series, Cardinals vs Tigers? Could Justin Verlander be a modern day Mickey Lolich? ( minus quite a few pounds )
    Actually, the Tigers are looking for revenge from the 2006 series against the Cardinals. I'm not surprised though a lot of people don't remember it. It was one of the lowest rated World Series of all time. I fear the same will happen this year if the Tigers and Cards meet again. Would have much preferred a Yankees/Cards match up but I'll take it either way.

By the way, when was the last time there has been LDS's played without teams on either coast participating? Has there ever been an all centralized LDS?

Congrats to modern supplements.

By the way, when was the last time there has been LDS's played without teams on either coast participating? Has there ever been an all centralized LDS?
    1991 was a no coast series for both leagues, the only year it occurred.

Turn Off Ads?