Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Congratulations to the Cardinals...

Re: Congratulations to the Cardinals...

Well of course.....Cochrane, Berra, Campanella, Dickey, Gibson, Bench, Rodriguez and Molina.

Yea sure, thats the ticket
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-29-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't really care for the Cards but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

The Miracle Mets of 69' have been replaced in the history books of overachievers by this Red Bird bunch.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't see why the Cardinals winning it is a miracle. They were the hottest team in baseball coming into the postseason. And they remained hot and won it.

Texas should be searching for a new manager. Ron Washington handed that series to the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I don't see why the Cardinals winning it is a miracle. They were the hottest team in baseball coming into the postseason. And they remained hot and won it.

Their story is somewhat similar to the 69' Mets. They were 8 1/2 games out in September, they lost a top notch starter to start the season and twice they were a strike away from losing the WS. Sure they got hot but they needed to have some divine help from above in the form of a miracle and IMO they sure got it.

I still don't like em though.

This isn't football managers don't get canned for losing championship series, they get rewarded and praised for getting their team there twice In a row.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Their story is somewhat similar to the 69' Mets. They were 8 1/2 games out in September, they lost a top notch starter to start the season and twice they were a strike away from losing the WS. Sure they got hot but they needed to have some divine help from above in the form of a miracle and IMO they sure got it.

On the final night of the season, the nation was marveling at the incredible evening we were treated to as history unfolded before our eyes.

Now that the Cardinals took it several orders of magnitude higher by then winning the World Series and being crowned the best team in the world its just all "meh"?

You're right, it's one thing to hate them, it's another thing to rewrite history for the sake of bias. This isn't Egypt and we're not Pharaohs. And like it or not, the Cards are Champions having overcome an adversity that was historic in nature.
    Last edited by jojo; 10-30-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm not too proud to offer my congratulations to the Cards. I may not like them but I can still respect them and admire how they play the game. That was one of the toughest teams I have ever witnessed in all of sports. How many times could they have given up on the season,game or series? I wish I could say the same about the Reds. If they hadn't have been the Cardinals I would have been rooting for them.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Now that the Cardinals took it several orders of magnitude higher by then winning the World Series and being crowned the best team in the world its just all "meh"?
    For some diehard Reds fans, sure. I grew to root for the Cards this postseason, but it's easy to see why a good portion of Reds fans would refuse to be impressed. That's fandom, espacially in the arena of archrivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post

They got some incredible good fortune the way the Braves played and then took it from there.

Great choke by the Texas bullpen and the play of Cruz in RF made Lonnie Smith look like a GG.

How is it Washington's fault.....must have missed some easy stuff....but all I say was a pitching staff that could not close out TWO 2 run leads.....and a RF who played a tough but still catchable ball like it was a grenade.....deserve some grief.

I always make long shot bets like this in when in Vegas for this very reason.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.969071
    Last edited by George Anderson; 10-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    On the final night of the season, the nation was marveling at the incredible evening we were treated to as history unfolded before our eyes.

You're right, it's one thing to hate them, it's another thing to rewrite history for the sake of bias. This isn't Egypt and we're not Pharaohs. And like it or not, the Cards are Champions having overcome an adversity that was historic in nature.
    Most fans are monogamous to a team and do not practice polygamy in following the game as you choose to (been watching Sister Wives ). That may be why you can see it that objectively. I wouldn't look down on fans who are loyal to their team and don't enjoy success of their rival, even if its high drama. Honestly, it was ugly baseball--bad D, poor pitching.

Those loyalties run really deep with the rival. There would have been very, very few Reds fans who rooted for the Dodgers in the 70s World Series that they played, I either didn't care to watch or watched to see them lose, and the current Cards are fast becoming the same level of rival for this era of Reds baseball. I didn't enjoy watching them win at all, game 6 sucked and will continue to suck, and I have no affinity for the Rangers anymore than "the team playing the Cards is the team I root for."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?