Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to the Cardinals...

Re: Congratulations to the Cardinals...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nah, it would suck because the Cardinals were in it.
    I'd love to see a Brewers/Tigers series. Cardinals/Rangers I might not watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A Brewers/Rangers series is a much better story, no LaRussa, two teams winning it for the 1st time EVER, no gratuitous on the field Budweiser ads (that beer really is crap) no Musial stories, no What will Albert do stories... no LaRussa (worth noting twice)

Mike, I have to ask...

Do you also spend your days eating McDonalds in a Burger King parking lot telling all the folks that walk by how damn good that Bic Mac and fries are?
    Well said sir, well said!
    Where we gonna go?

A Brewers/Rangers series is a much better story, no LaRussa, two teams winning it for the 1st time EVER, no gratuitous on the field Budweiser ads (that beer really is crap) no Musial stories, no What will Albert do stories... no LaRussa (worth noting twice)

Mike, I have to ask...

Do you also spend your days eating McDonalds in a Burger King parking lot telling all the folks that walk by how damn good that Bic Mac and fries are?
    Gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Stat geek...and proud
    I'm rooting for the Cards to make the series.......then lose in the seventh game in the most painful way possible. Like a blown 10 run lead or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Probably about the same number as the number of viewers watching outside of St. Louis and Dallas
    You are probably right about that. Even though the Yankees and Boston are much hated, they do draw ratings. I don't think a Brewers/Rangers or a Brewers/Tigers series would be much of a draw either.

No, I would probably get sick eating at those places. Any more gratuitous shots? I won't take a joke either because it gets tiring with all the personal attacks in here to the point where I might have to get out of the forums for a while. I know most of you will probably like that, so keep piling on I guess.

I thought my Post Season was happy when Yankees got rolled out....now I have to watch the team that Rasputin would root for go to the WS. Please anyone from the AL that can beat the Cardinals will be great.

Congratulations to Sparty for dumping UM. But that body slam of Robinson was cheap.

The Brewers will win the last two at home.
    Last edited by traderumor; 10-15-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

disregard
    Last edited by dman; 10-16-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The Brewers will win the last two at home.
    Stay out of Vegas there buddy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Go Rangers.

Go Rangers
    Last edited by westofyou; 10-17-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Dear Texas Rangers,

Please don't let those whiny clowns from St. Louis win the World Series. They will never, ever shut up about it.The thought of watching Chris Carpenter celebrate makes me nauseous. Only you can prevent that from happening.

Love,

reds1869

P.S. If you can make their loss as heart-wrenching as possible, that would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Stay out of Vegas there buddy.
    Guess I'm not a prophet or a son of a prophet Funny how the Brewers achilles heel of bad D showed up in Game 5 and how the Grienke/Marcum success story for the regular season did not pan out much in the Cards series.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

if i recall the Cardinals got some flack for dealing Rasmus. he was called 'their Jay Bruce'. so far the deal has been a success. i have been thinking about this a bit. our Jay Bruce is expected to be a middle of the order stud. yet their Jay Bruce was a complimentary player. Pujols-Holliday is their big 3-4 punch. even before Jay emerged Rasmus wasn't counted on by the management to hit 30 bombs and drive in 100 runs. if he did then awesome but the team wasn't built with the idea that he had to. however it seems to me that the Reds have been built with an 'everything has to go right' type mentality. when Rolen, Volquez & Arroyo came up lame the 2011 season was lost. i can't see the Cards going into a season with that type of mentality. good teams need to be built with the idea that not everything is going to go right. even if most does go right the team still may have to make an in season move or two. i'd like to see the 2012 Reds have this mentality. for example Rolen is not counted on the play 130 games & OPS 800+. maybe he is pencilled in for 110 games with an OPS of 725. Arroyo was awful in 2011. for the team to plan for a rebound is not a good plan. he could be slotted in as the 6th starter. then if he does come back we have depth (always good and usually needed) but if he flops then we don't put up with 32 terrible starts. if Sappelt is pencilled in as the leadoff hitter and center fielder then there should be some type of backup plan if he struggles.

as Mike pointed out 'potential' and $3.50 buys you a cup of coffee. the Reds shouldn't count on potential as proven. it seems like a way to get cheap young players and try to sell them to the fans as proven stars. when they fail (most of the time they will) the team can blame some bad luck, injuries, etc. but the real problem is counting on guys to pull a load bigger than they are likely to be capable of. this applies to the young guys as well as old guy coming off bad years. i can see the team spinning the 2012 season as follows: Arroyo and Rolen are healthy. Volquez is a year removed from surgery. Alonso has worked on his defense all winter and should be a middle of the order bat. etc. then when most of these things don't happen we will all be watching some other team win the NL Central in 2012. to me this is a situation worse than the old Reds or Pirates because the current team really does have some talent. just not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    if i recall the Cardinals got some flack for dealing Rasmus. he was called 'their Jay Bruce'. so far the deal has been a success. i have been thinking about this a bit. our Jay Bruce is expected to be a middle of the order stud. yet their Jay Bruce was a complimentary player. Pujols-Holliday is their big 3-4 punch. even before Jay emerged Rasmus wasn't counted on by the management to hit 30 bombs and drive in 100 runs. if he did then awesome but the team wasn't built with the idea that he had to. however it seems to me that the Reds have been built with an 'everything has to go right' type mentality. when Rolen, Volquez & Arroyo came up lame the 2011 season was lost. i can't see the Cards going into a season with that type of mentality. good teams need to be built with the idea that not everything is going to go right. even if most does go right the team still may have to make an in season move or two. i'd like to see the 2012 Reds have this mentality. for example Rolen is not counted on the play 130 games & OPS 800+. maybe he is pencilled in for 110 games with an OPS of 725. Arroyo was awful in 2011. for the team to plan for a rebound is not a good plan. he could be slotted in as the 6th starter. then if he does come back we have depth (always good and usually needed) but if he flops then we don't put up with 32 terrible starts. if Sappelt is pencilled in as the leadoff hitter and center fielder then there should be some type of backup plan if he struggles.

as Mike pointed out 'potential' and $3.50 buys you a cup of coffee. the Reds shouldn't count on potential as proven. it seems like a way to get cheap young players and try to sell them to the fans as proven stars. when they fail (most of the time they will) the team can blame some bad luck, injuries, etc. but the real problem is counting on guys to pull a load bigger than they are likely to be capable of. this applies to the young guys as well as old guy coming off bad years. i can see the team spinning the 2012 season as follows: Arroyo and Rolen are healthy. Volquez is a year removed from surgery. Alonso has worked on his defense all winter and should be a middle of the order bat. etc. then when most of these things don't happen we will all be watching some other team win the NL Central in 2012. to me this is a situation worse than the old Reds or Pirates because the current team really does have some talent. just not enough.
    I honestly hope that I'm dead wrong here but I believe it would be foolish for the Reds to count on Scott Rolen to start 110 games and OPS 725.

I thought it was a foolish idea last year at this time too. I guess we can always hope he can pull a Lance Berkman and rise from the ashes.

Turn Off Ads?