Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Reyes takes himself out of game

Jose Reyes takes himself out of game

I am surprised this hasn't been talked about. Jose Reyes asked to be taken out of the game if he got a hit in his first at bat to preserve his batting title. He had a bunt hit against the Reds in the first and then proceeded to sit the rest of the game on the bench. I have never liked the guy now my opinion of him is lower. Even thought he is a great talent I don't want him anywhere near my favorite team. I was hoping that Braun would go 3-4 to screw Reyes.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jose Reyes takes himself out of game

He's certainly not the first player to ever do it ( Ty Cobb) so my thoughts are if baseball is a team game made up of individual accomplishments that have cash and accolades tied to them why do we act surprised when it occurs in a game that has no bearing on anything?

Didn't Griffey Sr. lose a batting title to Bill Madlock by sitting out? Don't remember if it was his call or not.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

If the Mets, or even Reds for that matter, were playing for anything at all it would be an obvious huge issue.

They weren't, so as far as I'm concerned, it's not.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Didn't Griffey Sr. lose a batting title to Bill Madlock by sitting out? Don't remember if it was his call or not.
    Sparky sat Griffey on the last day of the 1976 season. After Madlock went 2 for 2 Sparky inserted Griffey in the lineup and he went 0-2 and the batting title went with it.
    I think there was another thread talking about this in recent days that went into the details.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

How did you feel about Brandon Phillip's leg injury on Tuesday night?

I'm not sayin' it was or wasn't real, because I don't know, but it was awfully convenient and left a short handed club even more short handed for the last game of the season.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Rosters are expanded, how are the Reds "short handed"?
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Sparky sat Griffey on the last day of the 1976 season. After Madlock went 2 for 2 Sparky inserted Griffey in the lineup and he went 0-2 and the batting title went with it.
    I think there was another thread talking about this in recent days that went into the details.
    Madlock also went 4 for 4, so even if Griffey stayed out of the game, the Mad Dog would've won the title.

(Sorry if that was already covered in another thread - I missed it.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

There is a gray area to me in all of this. I for one said it is ok for players/managers to go for individual goals in the meaningless last game of the year. However when you are competing with another guy for a league title, it is somewhat weak to withdraw from the competition early to hold your number. BP sitting to maintain a .300 doesn't bother me. But Reyes does a bit because he is competing with Braun.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Techie View Post
    Rosters are expanded, how are the Reds "short handed"?
    The number of players who were in the dugout but unavailable because of actual injury was a constant theme of the broadcast crew in the last week.

As a short example, witness Dontrelle Willis's at bat in the top of the 10th on Tuesday with the bases loaded and two out. I know Willis is a good hitting pitcher and all that, but Hanigan and Cairo were sitting hurt on the bench unable to even pinch hit (I suppose Rolen was there as well). The best bat Dusty had left was Willis. If Phillips had stayed in the game, Frazier would have had that at bat.

Now, I suppose you can claim that Dusty shouldn't have burned through his players like a sailor burning through money on shore leave, but that's a different conversation. (And one RedsZone would never have because the reds ended up winning the game anyway.)
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    There is a gray area to me in all of this. I for one said it is ok for players/managers to go for individual goals in the meaningless last game of the year. However when you are competing with another guy for a league title, it is somewhat weak to withdraw from the competition early to hold your number. BP sitting to maintain a .300 doesn't bother me. But Reyes does a bit because he is competing with Braun.
    Here is why it bothered me. I wouldn't have much of an issue had he requested to sit the game out. I think it would speak more to his competitive nature than anything else but that is fine with me. I also wouldn't have had much of an issue had his manager benched him because of the batting title. What I do have an issue with is him starting and then requesting to be taken out if he had a hit. If he said he would play he should have played. What about the pitcher who was out there busting his hump for 9 innings. Or about the other 8 players out there trying to win a game. That is where I have a problem. If your going to be in the starting lineup then you play. Don't take yourself out of the game because you think you have won the batting title.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

In this day of sophistication, I find it humorous that folks are still allowing any air time for basing the "batting title" on highest batting average in the league in the first place. Shouldn't it be based on something more comprehensive than hits/"official" ABs, and until then, shouldn't we boycott any discussion on this meaningless title? (Only half-kidding)
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I don't see the big deal at all. He isn't even close to the first guy to do it and I am sure he won't be the last. There have been far worse attempts at these things. I can't recall who it was, but an NBA player needed a rebound for a triple double, so he shot at the wrong basket and got the board. The scorer didn't credit him with the rebound. That is something that is shady/wrong. What Reyes did isn't wrong at all. If his team were contending on that day for the playoffs, I would take an issue with it. But I am sure he wouldn't have requested to be pulled in that case either.

On the last day of the 1970 season, Carl Yastrzemski had a slight lead over Alex Johnson in the AL batting race. Yaz, playing on the east coast, finished his season before the Angels even started their last game. After Johnson got a couple of hits to take the lead away (by a few percentage points), he was pinch run for and the new batting champion.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

SNOOZE

Turn Off Ads?