3rd Base: Scott Rolen
    RF: Jay Bruce
    LF: Chris Heisey
    CF: Drew Stubbs
    C: Ramon Hernandez

Pitcher: Johnny Cueto

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Here is your 2012 Opending day roster...discuss among yourselfs

Cozart is our starting SS. Not sure what it is with you and that position BRM lol, before this past season you didn't believe it was Janish's job either. We called him up to be the starter, and Walt has already said we're going into next season with him as our starter. I do think we'll try to bring Renteria back to backup Cozart though, and honestly if the price is cheap it wouldn't be a bad thing.

This is how I see it barring a trade.

1. Phillips 2B
    2. Cozart SS
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Alonso LF
    5. Rolen/Francisco 3B
    6. Bruce RF
    7. Hanigan/Mes C
    8. Stubbs CF
    9. Cueto P

Heisey and Cairo will be around, the rest of the bench I have no idea.

That lineup would lead the National League in runs and strikeouts. We'll be feast or famine as usual, but they'll do enough to win us a lot of games. Bullpen needs arms that can get people out on a consistent basis, and if we're going to improve the rotation we need to go big through a trade or not even bother. We have a LOT of serviceable middle of the rotation guys...the only way we'd improve it is to get a 1-2 to go with Cueto at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Cozart is our starting SS. Not sure what it is with you and that position BRM lol, before this past season you didn't believe it was Janish's job either. We called him up to be the starter, and Walt has already said we're going into next season with him as our starter. I do think we'll try to bring Renteria back to backup Cozart though, and honestly if the price is cheap it wouldn't be a bad thing.

This is how I see it barring a trade.

1. Phillips 2B
    2. Cozart SS
    3. Votto 1B
    4. Alonso LF
    5. Rolen/Francisco 3B
    6. Bruce RF
    7. Hanigan/Mes C
    8. Stubbs CF
    9. Cueto P

Heisey and Cairo will be around, the rest of the bench I have no idea.

That lineup would lead the National League in runs and strikeouts. We'll be feast or famine as usual, but they'll do enough to win us a lot of games. Bullpen needs arms that can get people out on a consistent basis, and if we're going to improve the rotation we need to go big through a trade or not even bother. We have a LOT of serviceable middle of the rotation guys...the only way we'd improve it is to get a 1-2 to go with Cueto at the top.
    Don't make any playoff plans then. A lot of things went right in 2010. A lot of those same things didn't go right in 2011. Split the difference. 85-86 wins. They would need to add 2 more wild cards for the Reds to make it in.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-29-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Don't make any playoff plans then.
    I know there's a lot of differing opinions on it, but I think our offense is going to be really good next year. By good I mean the final product, they'll still be really frustrating at times. Without revamping the entire team I don't see how it is going to be fixed though. You gotta figure Cozart is going to give us a lot more than we had this year. Same with Heisey/Alonso or a cardboard cutout in LF. With Francisco and Rolen I also think we'll get more from 3B. That's improving an above average offense imo.

My biggest concern is our bullpen. I really have no faith in most of the guys we have...like none. The rotation needs help and I'd love to make a big deal for Shields. Our defense will be very good as usual, I just hope we have guys that can get people out.

I'm a homer obviously but I expect us to win the division next year. Especially with the unknowns in St. Louis and Milwaukee.

We could also really use one of our pitchers to take the next step. Like Bailey or Wood. Not holding my breath or anything, but it wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I know there's a lot of differing opinions on it, but I think our offense is going to be really good next year. By good I mean the final product, they'll still be really frustrating at times. Without revamping the entire team I don't see how it is going to be fixed though. You gotta figure Cozart is going to give us a lot more than we had this year. Same with Heisey/Alonso or a cardboard cutout in LF. With Francisco and Rolen I also think we'll get more from 3B. That's improving an above average offense imo.

My biggest concern is our bullpen. I really have no faith in most of the guys we have...like none. The rotation needs help and I'd love to make a big deal for Shields. Our defense will be very good as usual, I just hope we have guys that can get people out.

I'm a homer obviously but I expect us to win the division next year. Especially with the unknowns in St. Louis and Milwaukee.
    Cardinals have a much better offense and will again next year. Berkman back. I fully expect Pujols to be back. Holliday seemed like he missed a lot of time.

Cardinals have better pitching now and will add Wainwright.

If the Reds basically stand pat there will be no October baseball in the Queen City.

I am curious as to what you saw in the last two months of the season when the Reds were playing dreck and struggling that makes you think this team is bouncing back?
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Still a lot of ?'s in the left side in both suggestions so far, possible improvement, but not certain. Does look slightly better than coming into '11 with Gomes and Janish as starters, but still dont know Rolens health and Juan's consistency, if Alonso can be even decent in left, and if Cozart is ready to be the man at short. Right side is strong, Stubbs is good in field but needs a lot of help at the plate if goign to stay in lineup. Cueto had a greta year and Leake was pretty good. Arroyo should be healthy, need 2-3 more pitchers to step up their game.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Still a lot of ?'s in the left side in both suggestions so far, possible improvement, but not certain. Does look slightly better than coming into '11 with Gomes and Janish as starters, but still dont know Rolens health and Juan's consistency, if Alonso can be even decent in left, and if Cozart is ready to be the man at short. Right side is strong, Stubbs is good in field but needs a lot of help at the plate if goign to stay in lineup. Cueto had a greta year and Leake was pretty good. Arroyo should be healthy, need 2-3 more pitchers to step up their game.
    Cozart has to be a question mark. I am not sure how anyone makes a determination on him after two weeks.

Cozart has to be a question mark. I am not sure how anyone makes a determination on him after two weeks.
    Totally agree, was syaing its up to him if he is ready to be the man or not, or will the cycle of new misses and old retreads continue there for us?
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Same with Alonso. Solid bat. Just god-awful in the field.

Same with Alonso. Solid bat. Just god-awful in the field.
    yup, why I said if he can even be decent.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Cardinals have a much better offense and will again next year. Berkman back. I fully expect Pujols to be back. Holliday seemed like he missed a lot of time.

Cardinals have better pitching now and will add Wainwright.

If the Reds basically stand pat there will be no October baseball in the Queen City.

I am curious as to what you saw in the last two months of the season when the Reds were playing dreck and struggling that makes you think this team is bouncing back?
    The last two months were playing our young guys though. It's why I was against going to that earlier in the year because I fully expected the team to struggle once we did it. Not that we were playing great before then obviously, but I don't put much weight in the overall teams performance. I was mainly curious how the guys were doing on an individual level. Francisco showed us a lot, a hurt Alonso showed us a lot, and Heisey gave Walt a big decision. Mes struggled but of all of the guys I expected it from him more because he has the double duty of having to work with a pitching staff at this level. We also had some guys who looked like they went into offseason mode which is inexcusable...just what it looked like.

If Pujols is back in Stl I would change my mind, I don't think it's gonna happen though. Their rotation isn't that much better than ours. Edwin Jackson is a FA, Carpenter had a down year and is aging, Westbrook is really hit or miss....but you're right they do get Wainwright back which is a big boost.

He definitely is is a question mark. It sucks he got hurt or we'd feel better about things right now. It's why I would be shocked if we don't try to bring Renteria back as a backup...or some other cheap veteran that isn't great but we know what we'd get. I don't think he'll be worse than Janish, or at least I really hope he's not worse than Janish.

The winter is time for optimism. But this team doesn't compete as currently comprised.

no optimism for me unless stubbs and rolen are gone

Turn Off Ads?