Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here is your 2012 Opending day roster...discuss among yourselfs

Re: Here is your 2012 Opending day roster...discuss among yourselfs

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    no optimism for me unless stubbs and rolen are gone
    Well then no optimism for you because both will be Reds next year and both will be in the starting lineup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

arent you thrilled you get to see the walking crippled third baseman and the major league leading feeble strikeout king, you win your a genius

arent you thrilled you get to see the walking crippled third baseman and the major league leading feeble strikeout king, you win your a genius
    Well actually there is nothing wrong with Rolen's legs, it's his arm and shoulder area that is of concern so again you are wrong which is nothing new. As for Stubbs you also have the talent there to lead the league in steals and provide very good defense in one of the key positions on the field. It must kill you to know I am right and come opening day unless injuried both men will be in teh starting lineup with Rolen hitting in the 4 hole. Now do I agree with that, no, but as long as Dusty and Walt are running the show that is how it will be.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Alonso and Stubbs will be traded in the offseason. That is my strong prediction.

2B Phillips (Contract year, will go all out and put up good numbers like 2011)
    LF Sappelt
    1B Votto
    CF Heisey
    RF Bruce
    3B Rolen/Francisco (platoon, RH/LH)
    SS Cozart.......but I also think they might explore someone else because of Cozart's inj.
    C Hanigan/Mez (platoon)

Reds add starting pitching, namely James Shields. That is my prediction.

Cueto
    Shields
    Leake
    Bailey
    Arroyo

I wish they had the money to sign CJ Wilson. I think he'd be a huge addition to the starting rotation. Trade for Shields. Sign Wilson as a free agent (nearly impossible with wealthier bidders) and then deal some of the young starting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Alonso and Stubbs will be traded in the offseason. That is my strong prediction.

2B Phillips (Contract year, will go all out and put up good numbers like 2011)
    LF Sappelt
    1B Votto
    CF Heisey
    RF Bruce
    3B Rolen/Francisco (platoon, RH/LH)
    SS Cozart.......but I also think they might explore someone else because of Cozart's inj.
    C Hanigan/Mez (platoon)

Reds add starting pitching, namely James Shields. That is my prediction.

Cueto
    Shields
    Leake
    Bailey
    Arroyo

I wish they had the money to sign CJ Wilson. I think he'd be a huge addition to the starting rotation. Trade for Shields. Sign Wilson as a free agent (nearly impossible with wealthier bidders) and then deal some of the young starting pitching.
    I don't see any chance of Sappelt even making the club let alone starting. He has to many holes in his game at this point, needs more work at AAA. Platooning isn't in Dusty's language, so it will be Rolen and no one else till he gets hurt outside of that "day" game start for Cairo. Cozart is the huge unknown, won't know health till ST, don't know if he is an everyday starter of if Dusty trusts him. Don't see the Rays dealing Shields he brings way to much to the table, in innings, K's, complete games, quality ERA. I am also very scared the Reds will reink Hernandez and Mez will see most of his playing time again at AAA at least till Sept.

Dusty has platooned our catchers for 2 years now. He also platooned LF for quite a while along with SS for a brief period. Even though SS was such a disaster at that point it was just randomly running Renteria or Janish out to suck.

He doesn't like platoons, but if Rolen is healthy we don't have any alternatives at 3rd. Everyone knows Rolen can't hold up for 162 playing the majority of the games.

Also, Walt has already said that Cozart is our starting SS for 2012. It's not a position we're looking to fill. It's Cozart's job until he sucks so bad that he has to lose it or he gets injured. Hopefully neither happen.
    Last edited by Stray; 09-29-2011 at 07:18 PM.

brms opening day roster

C Don Pavletich He once hit a homerun
    1B Mike Lum Baker likes him
    2B kelly Paris Baker wont platoon so Paris must play
    SS Rafael Santo Domingo He once had a hit in Little League so why would you not give him a chance to play
    3B Craig Worthington BRM does not want to give Francisco a chance
    LF Stubbs
    RF Stubbs
    CF Stubbs the greatest

Platoons are for wimps and people that like to do things like win ballgames. Real ballplayers play every single game no matter what and that is how they get their numbers. Playing every day is huge, is big-time. You have to be dealing to play every day. Dude, I ain't got no time for platoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Dusty has platooned our catchers for 2 years now. He also platooned LF for quite a while along with SS for a brief period. Even though SS was such a disaster at that point it was just randomly running Renteria or Janish out to suck.

He platooned catcher because neither guy could go 150+ and produce any thing numbers wise. There was never a true platoon at any other position this year on this team.

He doesn't like platoons, but if Rolen is healthy we don't have any alternatives at 3rd. Everyone knows Rolen can't hold up for 162 playing the majority of the games.

If healthy Rolen can go about 100-110 I would think, and that leaves maybe 50-60 games covered by Cairo. Again not a true platoon either.

Also, Walt has already said that Cozart is our starting SS for 2012. It's not a position we're looking to fill. It's Cozart's job until he sucks so bad that he has to lose it or he gets injured. Hopefully neither happen.

Cozart is a HUGE question mark. We have no idea if he will even be able to play come ST and if so what kind of condition he will be in. Walt will bring in a "vet" to cover and Dusty will give Cozart some playing time if he can but I don't see him being the everyday SS unless he really lights it up, remember Dusty loves that veteran creaminess, especially at SS.

brms opening day roster

C Don Pavletich He once hit a homerun
    1B Mike Lum Baker likes him
    2B kelly Paris Baker wont platoon so Paris must play
    SS Rafael Santo Domingo He once had a hit in Little League so why would you not give him a chance to play
    3B Craig Worthington BRM does not want to give Francisco a chance
    LF Stubbs
    RF Stubbs
    CF Stubbs the greatest
    Okay what Starting lineup do YOU think Dusty will put out there?

Cozart is a HUGE question mark. We have no idea if he will even be able to play come ST and if so what kind of condition he will be in. Walt will bring in a "vet" to cover and Dusty will give Cozart some playing time if he can but I don't see him being the everyday SS unless he really lights it up, remember Dusty loves that veteran creaminess, especially at SS.
    Nobody is saying he isn't a question mark. I think we all agree there. What I'm saying is that he's our starting SS next year, for better or for worse. Just like Janish going into this year. Now things can change with an injury or if he's bad, but right now that's our plan.

And yeah we will look to bring in a veteran or more than likely try and resign Renteria. Regardless of what you think of Dusty and veterans, that doesn't mean we're bringing in a guy to start. Just like Renteria wasn't signed to take Janish's job.

Philips 2b
    Cozart ss
    Votto 1b
    Bruce rf
    Rolen/Zo 3b
    Stubbs Cf
    Sappelt Lf
    Mez C

And yeah we will look to bring in a veteran or more than likely try and resign Renteria. Regardless of what you think of Dusty and veterans, that doesn't mean we're bringing in a guy to start. Just like Renteria wasn't signed to take Janish's job.
    I don't think this is necessarily all that true of a statement. Renteria started the second game of the season. How many starters, in this case Janish, need a breather after one game? Of the season's first 24 games, Renteria started 7 at short. Once again, how many other starters got 7 games off in the first 24?
    I don't think Renteria signs with Cincinnati unless he is given assurances that he is going to get plenty of chances to play. His contract had a base amount and then bonuses for certain numbers of ABs. Do you sign such a contract unless you feel there is a reasonable chance that you are going to get those ABs?
    Did Janish put a chokehold on short? Of course not. But how secure is a player going to be when one out of every 3 games, roughly, he is back on the pine? 7 games off in the first 24 is about the quickest hook I have ever seen.
    Last edited by texasdave; 09-29-2011 at 10:21 PM.

did you like brm;s mock lineup??

did you like brm;s mock lineup??
    I think Rolando Roomes has to get a spot in there somewhere.

Turn Off Ads?