Turn Off Ads?

Thread: AT&T DSL Question

AT&T DSL Question

My daughter, in college, is renting a house that has no phone line or cable physically installed within the house. They aren't worried about getting cable TV, but do want internet. The only service available (small town college) is AT&T DSL. She called AT&T and explained to the rep their situation. I thought she was going to have to run a phone line to the house in order to get DSL, but the rep said that was not necessary. She is mailing them a "self install" kit. They are still going to have to purchase a modem and wireless router though.

I called AT&T to get greater details, and the rep gave the names of several routers I could buy, and recommended a 2Wire, model # 2701HBG, which is a combination modem and router. I found some good deals on Amazon, but before I buy one I wanted to ask (make sure) their situation was right for this set-up.

Would appreciate any input. Thanks.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AT&T DSL Question

Nothing specific, but I can tell you I'd rather chew off my arm than have AT&T DSL again.

That's Dry Loop DSL and the government has recently regulated that phone/dsl providers provide that service where DSL service is available.

However, ATT is no longer building out DSL service as they push U-Verse Fiber.

I've got AT&T dsl and the 2wire modem was nothing but trouble, I bought this one instead
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GF4SME
    and have had no problems since.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I've got AT&T dsl and the 2wire modem was nothing but trouble, I bought this one instead
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GF4SME
    and have had no problems since.
    Cool! Thanks Matt. That's why I decided to ask first before making any purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    That's Dry Loop DSL and the government has recently regulated that phone/dsl providers provide that service where DSL service is available.
    Thanks Rob. I was wondering how they were able to achieve this without a land line. I had to do a little research to see exactly what Dry Loop was. LOL

She goes to college down in the hills of southern Ohio (Nelsonville), and unless they have a satellite, or pay to have cable installed (which neither can afford), AT&T is the only thing available.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-30-2011 at 03:43 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I get cable internet without cable tv service. It was free installation. First year $34.95 month.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I get cable internet without cable tv service. It was free installation. First year $34.95 month.
    So do I. I have Directv and Time Warner Road Runner. We'll see how this goes with the girls. I'm not sure what the internet provider is in that region, but we might check into it. But I think they have to clear it through their landlord first. I know the landlord said no to any satellite installation (which the girls couldn't afford anyway).

My daughter and roommate have decided to go in a different direction since AT&T does not offer the Loop DSL in the area for some reason. Even if they pay to have a phone jack in stalled to get their DSL, they still say they have to enter into a contract, which they aren't going to do since they both graduate this next June and won't be living there.

[And if you want my opinion, AT&T's customer support is terrible. You get different responses every time you talk with one of them]

So any way..... they went to Best Buy and want to get this MiFi. I know absolutely nothing about it, so can anyone fill me in on it? I'm assuming you have the choice of purchasing it, via Best Buy, from numerous providers, like Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.?

Is it worth it? They say you 're not required to purchase a contract, and you get something like 3G coverage.

Turn Off Ads?