Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox, Francona to part ways

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Red Sox, Francona to part ways

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox, Francona to part ways

What's worse. Dusty being under .500 with a team that just won 91 a year ago, or a guy who couldn't make it to the playoffs while adding two top twenty players in the league dhring the offseason before?

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    What's worse. Dusty being under .500 with a team that just won 91 a year ago, or a guy who couldn't make it to the playoffs while adding two top twenty players in the league dhring the offseason before?
    Yes.

The Red Sox have multiple cancers in their clubhouse. The main cancer that killed them is the terminally overrated John Lackey.

I hope Tito sits out a year & is in the Reds dugout to start 2013.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Is he a player's manager?

Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz are quality starting pitchers. But Lackey, Wakefield, and Andrew Miller were disappointments. And Buchholz hasn't pitched since the middle of June with a back stress fracture. It sound eerily similar to the Reds problems. Pitching let them down. Weiland and Bedard didn't help the Sox much either.

I think they'd be dumb to let Francona go. I think personnel changes need to be made.

They might be a good trade partner with the Reds for some good young pitching.

Word is that Terry was kinda burnt out and was agreeable to moving on. He has lasted longer as Sox manager then any other Sox manager except 1. Most Sox managers last less then 3 seasons and Terry lasted 8.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Word is that Terry was kinda burnt out and was agreeable to moving on. He has lasted longer as Sox manager then any other Sox manager except 1. Most Sox managers last less then 3 seasons and Terry lasted 8.
    There is a difference between Francona and everyone else whose managed the Red Sox in almost the last century. This difference may have been the reason for his longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Is he a player's manager?
    Yes very much so. There's a lot that could have went into what destroyed the Red Sox this year, but it is pretty obvious that even he didn't like the chemistry in his clubhouse. There's a lot of people that are of the opinion that he let the inmates run the asylum this year. Heck there's even rumors that he had to deal with some of his player/s drinking during games this year. I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but if true that's bad.

I think he's a really good manager, but he's a lot more Dusty than he is LaRussa.

Also, I could really see him end up in Chicago with the White Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Yes very much so. There's a lot that could have went into what destroyed the Red Sox this year, but it is pretty obvious that even he didn't like the chemistry in his clubhouse. There's a lot of people that are of the opinion that he let the inmates run the asylum this year. Heck there's even rumors that he had to deal with some of his player/s drinking during games this year. I don't know if there's any truth to it or not, but if true that's bad.

I think he's a really good manager, but he's a lot more Dusty than he is LaRussa.

Also, I could really see him end up in Chicago with the White Sox.
    Ugh. The White Sox are a trainwreck full of bad contracts. If I were a manager, I'd steer clear of them.

Sign him up Walt!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Ugh. The White Sox are a trainwreck full of bad contracts. If I were a manager, I'd steer clear of them.
    That's a good point. He could always take a year off and work with ESPN or something too.

But yeah, he's gonna get another job pretty easily. I think a lot of Reds fans will hear the name and want him without really knowing anything about his managing philosophy.

They need to fire Epstein's ***.

I wouldn't think Francona would be interested in the Reds with their limited budget, unless there were no other options.

Turn Off Ads?