Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Heyward

Re: Jason Heyward

I don't like the risk of Heyward. The Braves are going to ask for something good in return. He has a bum shoulder. While Benihana says that people said the same thing about Alex Gordon, I would say that people said the same things about Austin Kearns.

Sure I would take a flyer on him if the price is right. But to pay top dollar in terms of talent? No thanks.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    They are looking for a SS.

Perhaps they should trade him to Toronto for Escobar, who's a near .800 OPS, great fielding SS, signed to a reasonable long term contract.
    I don't get the sense that anyone in Atlanta is missing Escobar.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    I don't get the sense that anyone in Atlanta is missing Escobar.
    They sure as hell should be.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    They sure as hell should be.
    I think they had seen enough. They didn't trade him for lack of talent. Maybe he needed to be traded to get his act together. Who knows? But no one had a better look at him than Atlanta. No one knew him better.

I'd deal Cozart and Heisey for him and count myself lucky. Very lucky.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I don't trust the Braves and wouldn't buy anything they're selling.

They don't often make player evaluation mistakes.
    Not the same "they" in Atlanta these days.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

He has a bum shoulder.
    Bad for pitchers, bad for hitters too.

Does anyone think that Heyward's swing has a huge flaw in it? I just look at him swing at times and it looks like there are some holes in it. Not saying he can't fix it but it could be a reason why the Braves are willing to move him.

Jason Heyward is the 2nd coming of Jeff Francouer. Not interested.

And the Braves absolutely had to get rid of Yunel Escobar. The last guy I remember in the local clubhouse who was as unpopular as Escobar was John Rocker at his zenith.

Bobby Cox basically had 2 rules: (1) bust your butt, and (2) don't be a horse's rear end.
    Escobar repeatedly failed on both fronts.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Jason Heyward is the 2nd coming of Jeff Francouer. Not interested.
    If by that you are implying he won't live up to the hype, I guess you could say that. But as a hitter they couldn't be anymore different. Francouer has terrible plate discipline, wanting to hit anything you throw to the plate. Heyward is a pretty patient hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If by that you are implying he won't live up to the hype, I guess you could say that. But as a hitter they couldn't be anymore different. Francouer has terrible plate discipline, wanting to hit anything you throw to the plate. Heyward is a pretty patient hitter.
    Agreed. He has a 13% walk rate thus far in his career. Definitely not Jeff Francouer.

While Heyward's walk rate fell a little this year, probably because teams were able to pitch to him a bit more often, really the biggest difference in his numbers came from BABIP thanks to a low LD%. Most of the rest of his peripherals (ISO, K%, etc.) held pretty steady.

My hunch is that Hewyard will bounce back next year and have a solid year. Perhaps not quite to the high expectations for him, but still pretty good.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Agreed Brutus, his IFFB rate was incredibly high this season. He will be fine moving forward assuming he is healthy and doesn't completely get away from his approach.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd deal Cozart and Heisey for him and count myself lucky. Very lucky.
    You would. So would I. They wouldn't.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

The guy is incredibly skilled, and very young. It's silly to expect him not to have any hiccups. I don't buy that they're really shopping him. I think it's more of a ploy by them to give him a wake up call.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I know Hewyard had some criticism directed to him from the likes of Chipper this season. I also wonder if his swing and offensive game haven't been exposed. I don't really remember his swing but isn't it pretty long?
    When he was hitting, it was a 'lightning quick head of the bat through the zone' and comparisons to Willie McCovey. Now that he's struggled a year, yes his swing is too long.

Atlanta won't sell low on him. That is what gets people fired forever in baseball. He'll be fine.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?