Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Im against trading any pitching

Im against trading any pitching

The Reds need more pitching they shouldnt trade starting pitchers. I'd like to see them trade position players for a number 1 or number 2 starter. I'd like to see Bailey and Volquez given every opportunity to make the pitching staff, Volquez IMO wasnt 100% and should be given another year to prove himself. Bailey I think is making progress every year and is nearly fully developed, I wouldnt give up on such a good arm. Wood is in the same boat as Bailey, he's close and shouldnt be traded. Im basically saying I would keep every starting pitcher the Reds have including Arroyo and just add to them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Im against trading any pitching

I'm not against trading anybody. Just look at the Tampa Bay Rays and the tough decisions they've had to make. Nobody's off limits as far as I'm concerned.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I'm not against trading anybody. Just look at the Tampa Bay Rays and the tough decisions they've had to make. Nobody's off limits as far as I'm concerned.
    have they traded any pitchers other than Garza

I'm with your approach,not that I wouldn't,but I would draft pitchers 3 or 4:1.

Also I would pay what it takes to have the best scouts and instructors possible,don't scrimp.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    I'm with your approach,not that I wouldn't,but I would draft pitchers 3 or 4:1.

Also I would pay what it takes to have the best scouts and instructors possible,don't scrimp.
    If you drafted like that you wouldn't be able to field teams in the minors....

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    have they traded any pitchers other than Garza
    Kazmir.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Rays also traded Edwin Jackson to the Tigers for Matt Joyce.

We simply must trade anyone not named Cueto or Leake to obtain a better starting staff we cannot compete if we are waiting for Wood,Bailey,or Volquez to finally put it together. These guys all could be used in packages to obtain guys like Chad Billingsley, Jeremy Guthrie, Wandy Rodriquez, or John Lannan. These guys aren't number 1's but they would help stabilize a starting rotation and allow us to aquire a 1-2 through FA!

I think there are many routes to enlightenment....I wouldn't rule out any potential path.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    We simply must trade anyone not named Cueto or Leake to obtain a better starting staff we cannot compete if we are waiting for Wood,Bailey,or Volquez to finally put it together. These guys all could be used in packages to obtain guys like Chad Billingsley, Jeremy Guthrie, Wandy Rodriquez, or John Lannan. These guys aren't number 1's but they would help stabilize a starting rotation and allow us to aquire a 1-2 through FA!
    I agree with your idea in theory, but the cold, hard reality is: If we acquire Billingsley, Guthrie or Rodriguez, and pay them the $8-$10 million they're due to make in 2012, we won't have any wiggle room left in the budget to offer a potential No. 1 or 2 free agent.

That might work with Lannan, who should make less than $6 million. Also could work if we dealt for another mid-priced upgrade, like the Braves' Jurrjens.

Otherwise, we're better off just aiming right for the top, and seeking a true No. 1 or 2 through trade (Shields, Bumgarner or Sanchez would fit this bill) or via free agency (Buehrle).

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Kazmir.
    Traded for both and traded both away.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think there are many routes to enlightenment....I wouldn't rule out any potential path.
    these are wise words

I would trade one Edison Volquez to any team outside of the St. Louis Cardinals.

I would trade Bronson Arroyo if someone would pay his contract unless the Reds had a manager who know how to say a certain two letter word that starts with n and ends with o to him. For example, when Bronson Arroyo said I want to pitch even though I have mono, the manager could use that word and say no. I think you all get my drift on that one.

I'm not sure what I'd do with Bailey-- maybe one more year if the price is right.

If I was the GM, I'd have Cueto, Leake penciled in as sure things, Bailey a probable and Wood, Chapman, and Arroyo (no one is crazy enough to take on his contract (Ed Wade was fired right?)) fight for a position and trade for one TOR or no. 2 starter.

So, in answer to this thread, I think after 2012, a trade is needed.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If you drafted like that you wouldn't be able to field teams in the minors....
    It was an intended hyperbole,but 21 out of the 1st 34 drafts for the Reds this year were pitchers. I don't know what the ratio was with the rest of the draft.

What the cutoff would be I don't know ,but the least amount of position player drafts would allow the greatest possibility of developing a TOR.I'm not too worried about fielding great minor league teams.Apply common sense here.

Doug's response to my post prompted me to read the thread before the draft in The Minors.Therefore Ice,it reinforced my allegiance with you on this,of course I can be bought.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post

Bailey has an xFIP over the last 2 seasons of 3.75 nad 3.77.

I wouldn't trade him straight up for any of those guys, much less in a package, when you factor in salary.

Turn Off Ads?