Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Heyward

Jason Heyward

Here's an interesting name no one has brought up to date. A mega prospect who had a tremendously disappointing season, Buster Olney suggests in his latest column that there is sentiment within the zbraves organization to deal him in the offseason.

Not sure if these two teams matchup, as the Braves already have a CF, a young 1B and an All-Star catcher, but it could be a tremendous buy-low opportunity for the Reds that would fix the LF/middle-of-the-order bat cheaply and for years to come.

Would you do Chapman straight up for Heyward?

If not, The Braves really liked Stephenson in the draft. Maybe start with him as a PTBNL and add Heisey, Frazier as an heir to Chipper and Barnhart as an heir to McCann?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jason Heyward

This would be absolutely the wrong time for the Braves to deal Heyward. Good grief, he's what, 22? My first thought would be to offer a package centered around Grandal, but the Braves' fan base isn't known for its patience, so I wonder if something with lesser major league talent would suffice.

The zbraves would be incredibly foolish to trade him after a sophomore slump.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Totally agree that it would be supremely foolish of the Braves to trade him Now, which is precisely why I'd like to see the Reds involved in such discussions if they do take place.
    Go BLUE!!!

You have to wonder why the Braves would consider it. Red flag, IMO.

I know Hewyard had some criticism directed to him from the likes of Chipper this season. I also wonder if his swing and offensive game haven't been exposed. I don't really remember his swing but isn't it pretty long?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    You have to wonder why the Braves would consider it. Red flag, IMO.
    People said the same thing about Alex Gordon in April.

Adrian Gonzalez was traded twice before he was 24. Ditto for Carlos Pena.
    Go BLUE!!!

People said the same thing about Alex Gordon in April.
    Well, I was definitely skeptical about Gordon, based on his track record. But I was also definitely wrong. Heyward is a different case. The issue appears to be that he's soft (Chipper Jones has criticized him for not playing hurt).

Adrian Gonzalez was traded twice before he was 24. Ditto for Carlos Pena.
    Yep. Braves, if they trade him, could be making a monumental mistake. Will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. I don't see the Braves as a natural trading partner for the Reds, though. Braves have a CF, 1B and plenty of pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Well, I was definitely skeptical about Gordon, based on his track record. But I was also definitely wrong. Heyward is a different case. The issue appears to be that he's soft (Chipper Jones has criticized him for not playing hurt).

Yep. Braves, if they trade him, could be making a monumental mistake. Will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. I don't see the Braves as a natural trading partner for the Reds, though. Braves have a CF, 1B and plenty of pitching.
    Agreed they are not the most natural trading partner for the Reds, as their biggest needs seem to be the similar: SS/3B/LF.

A three-team deal could make sense here, but those are way too hard to predict.

Also remember that this is the same team that traded Yunel Escobar because he didn't fit in. Time to be opportunistic Walt.
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-30-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Heyward is a different case. The issue appears to be that he's soft (Chipper Jones has criticized him for not playing hurt).
    I think at 22 that is very forgivable... Just because the guy is built like a man and is a professional athlete doesn't mean he is a man or a professional. I know how much I changed mentally from 22-25 and from 25-30. He's kind of learning on the fly. I think what Chipper said should have a positive effect(tought love) on him, but who knows if it created a rift between the two.

If the Braves are looking at moving Heyward now, I think its the perfect time to go after him... But as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Braves have players in the positions that the Reds have the most top end talent. He's definately worth looking into if he's really on the trading block.

We're probably not a good match as the Braves are supposedly hoping to land a young SS, if they do trade Heyward. But he would still be a prime catch, so it wouldn't hurt to dangle other pieces (Grandal, Heisey, etc.) to see if and how Atlanta responds.

I wouldn't offer Stephenson. Braves might covet him, but we ought to for the same reasons, and aren't exactly awash in decent SP prospects.

He reminds me as an overall player a lot like Jay Bruce, and the criticisms already seem similar.

If you could get him for a fair market value return, he would be a perfect fir for the organization IMO.

I don't trust the Braves and wouldn't buy anything they're selling.

They don't often make player evaluation mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

They gave away Yunel Escobar to the Blue Jays just last year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

They are looking for a SS.

Perhaps they should trade him to Toronto for Escobar, who's a near .800 OPS, great fielding SS, signed to a reasonable long term contract.

Turn Off Ads?