Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cincinnati Enquirer Sports Page

Cincinnati Enquirer Sports Page

Anyone still get delivery of the Enquirer? Well its quality has sure declined of late and there's a blatant example today.

My morning Enquirer has two nearly identical articles in it concerning the University of Tennessee AD's comment on the SEC expansion. On page D2 is a column entitled "Tennessee AD says SEC take Caution" and on D5 there's another with the headline "Vols AD wants SEC to be Wary". These articles are virtually identical and some paragraphs do match word for word. There's no excuse for this in a paper like the Enquirer.

How does something like this happen? It makes the paper look amateurish to say the least. Over the summer I cut back my subscription from daily to weekends and stuff like this tells me I made the right call.

Of course the internet has a lot to do with fewer people subscribing to daily delivery of the paper but this sort of thing is a factor as well. It makes it look like it's being run by the 6th grade class or something.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 09-30-2011 at 09:31 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati Enquirer Sports Page

John Fay is the beat writer for the Reds.

Enough said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Enough said.

No kidding.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

My neighbor across the hall still gets daily delivery. I haven't bought the local fishwrap in several years. If I ever feel the urge to read The Enquirer's, um, reporting, I just pick up one of the copies my building keeps in the lobby for residents. The writing is horrible and the use of wire services to fill more of the space in lieu of local writers makes the paper irrelevant to me.

Haunted by walks

I understand the Enquirer is going to be printed by the Columbus Dispatch soon and will be a much smaller size, almost like a tabloid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Enough said.
    And Bill Koch is UC's beat writer. He makes Fay look like a Pulitzer winner.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I'm surprised people are still getting a paper due to everything going paperless. Our local newspaper will probably shut down in 3-6 years. Circulation is down and most of the customers are very old and have always taken the paper, as they pass away customers are lost and no new customers are willing to subscribe. I get a Headlines email from our local paper and that is all I need to read from them, so it seems like they're just running their physical paper into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I understand the Enquirer is going to be printed by the Columbus Dispatch soon and will be a much smaller size, almost like a tabloid.
    It's already awfully small. Seriously there are days I can't tell what's in my driveway, the Enquirer or one of the local freebies like the Western Star or Community Press

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's already awfully small. Seriously there are days I can't tell what's in my driveway, the Enquirer or one of the local freebies like the Western Star or Community Press
    I think you are more talking about how thin it is. They are shrinking the dimensions of the paper though from a traditional size to a size like the tabloids at the supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you are more talking about how thin it is. They are shrinking the dimensions of the paper though from a traditional size to a size like the tabloids at the supermarket.
    I haven't noticed that the dimensions of the pages has changed just fewer pages.

For what it's worth I never got a reply from the Enquirer's sports editor Barry Forbes

Turn Off Ads?