Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone who loves music I need your help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone who loves music I need your help!

I'm a manager of a local band and in order to promote their new album most effectively i'm trying to decide on the catchiest or best song on the album so that I can attach it as an mp3 on some of the emails I send out. They are indie folk/electric/electronic and this is the song I've decided is the most catchy http://theinstant.bandcamp.com/track/96-lbs-2 called "96 lbs"

Again, this is not an advertisement, I need your help RZers- i need more opinions. Feel free to listen to the other songs to see if you think they are more catchy. I think 96 lbs hook/refrain is very catchy, but am undecided on if it's "single" material.

Thanks a ton, don't get me fired!

Re: Anyone who loves music I need your help!

Indie folk/electronic???

I'm also the manager of a small-time local band who needs help selecting a lead single for the band. They play indie rock. Which one do you think is the catchiest?

http://www.myspace.com/nirvana

I do hear the hooks, but honestly, it's an unpleasant listen, because the production is pretty bad. Way, way too much noise and dissonance. Maybe that's what they were going for, but it doesn't have any appeal to me.

Sorry.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I do hear the hooks, but honestly, it's an unpleasant listen, because the production is pretty bad. Way, way too much noise and dissonance. Maybe that's what they were going for, but it doesn't have any appeal to me.

Sorry.
    Thanks!

Gonna go with Mr. Footstool on this. Sounds like a fifteen year old loaded the track onto GarageBand and went to town.

I agree with your choice of single. The singer has a great voice, and the songs themselves are quite promising, but beyond that the rest of the band is sloppy and the sound is poorly produced, which doesn't suit these particular songs well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I'm a manager of a local band and in order to promote their new album most effectively i'm trying to decide on the catchiest or best song on the album so that I can attach it as an mp3 on some of the emails I send out. They are indie folk/electric/electronic and this is the song I've decided is the most catchy http://theinstant.bandcamp.com/track/96-lbs-2 called "96 lbs"

Again, this is not an advertisement, I need your help RZers- i need more opinions. Feel free to listen to the other songs to see if you think they are more catchy. I think 96 lbs hook/refrain is very catchy, but am undecided on if it's "single" material.

I'll echo what JF said on the noise. The production quality really drags the tune down a bit.

Personally, I like the song, except that I really don't know that there's a hook. The verses are very relaxing and I could see them selling, but there's nothing memorable in the melody. I don't hear any part of the song that's going to grab listeners.

While I realize the song isn't in traditional ABA form, if there was a little more to the chorus, I think it would be a great song. Listening to some of the other tracks, there are too many times it feels like the song is urged to pick up and change up the tune or the tempo and it doesn't happen and feels like a letdown. Because of that, I think the songs sort of run together.

On a personal preference, I would like Universal Truth as a track if it picked up the tempo for the chorus and maybe focused more on the acoustic guitar at the end of the bridge to build up the transition. That's just my opinion, but I think they have some potential... just need to change up the beat patterns and tempo in some spots.

They've got talent IMHO, but the production quality is going to have to get better and while the Indie circuit isn't out for commercial pop appeal, I think they need to find some portion of the song to use as an attention-grabber.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?