Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Reds Vs Giants Position by Position

2012 Reds Vs Giants Position by Position

Hanigan < Posey
    Votto > Belt
    Phillips > Theriot/Scutaro
    Cozart = Crawford
    Rolen/Frazier = Sandoval
    Ludwick > Blanco/Schierholtz (Cabrera still suspended)
    Stubbs < Pagan
    Bruce > Pence

Reds Bullpen > Giants Bullpen
    Reds Starters = Giants Starters

Reds 5
    Giants 2
    Ties 3

Just one mans opinion. Advantage Reds slightly as ties could go either way.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Reds Vs Giants Position by Position

When does Cabera's suspension end? Is he going to be back for the LDS ?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Schierholtz was traded to PHI. My understanding is Melky is suspended for five postseason games, so if my understanding is correct, we catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    When does Cabera's suspension end? Is he going to be back for the LDS ?
    I could be wrong but I thought I saw something scrolling across the bottom of my TV last week saying he is not playing in the postseason at all.

-The Insider-

Yup, he is not going to be on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought I saw something scrolling across the bottom of my TV last week saying he is not playing in the postseason at all.
    That is correct.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The Giants have declined to let him play.

And Cozart is better than Crawford.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 10-03-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Schierholtz was traded to PHI.
    It's Blanco/Nady but the > still stands.

The starting pitching depth is better for the Reds. However, in a five game series and if each team using 3 starters (as there is some indication the Reds will do), I think the Giants have a edge with having 4 of 5 starts being made by Cain or Bumgarner vs. 4 of 5 starts by Cueto and Arroyo. I really don't like playing the Giants in a best of five, especially starting on the road and especially with the prospect of a game five of Cain or Bumgarner vs. Arroyo.

I hope the Reds do not go Cueto, Arroyo, Latos. Either move Latos to start games two and five if going with a 3 man rotation or add Bailey to the rotation and take advantage of starting pitching depth and full rest.

The prospect of a Cueto, Arroyo, Latos three man rotation worries me, especially in a five man series with the Giants. I hope I am wrong.

The Giants rotation is a bit Potemkin.

ERA+
    Cain - 125
    Bumgarner - 104
    Vogelsong - 101

Cueto - 151
    Latos - 121
    Arroyo and Bailey - 112

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Neither team will start anyone on 3 days rest.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I like the Giants bullpen as well as ours. They're very good.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The Giants rotation is a bit Potemkin.
    1.) Depends on which Lincecum shows up.

2.) The Giants starting staff appears more likely to have better postseason "upside" than the Reds starters do, when looking at K rates.

Cueto: 7.1 K per 9 IP
    Arroyo: 5.7
    Latos: 8.0

Cain: 7.9
    Bumgartner: 8.3
    Vogelsong: 7.4
    Lincecum: 9.2

It's the Giants defense efficiency ratio--not the pitching--that is mediocre and driving up the ERA+.

Quote Originally Posted by The Snow Chief View Post
    The starting pitching depth is better for the Reds. However, in a five game series and if each team using 3 starters (as there is some indication the Reds will do), I think the Giants have a edge with having 4 of 5 starts being made by Cain or Bumgarner vs. 4 of 5 starts by Cueto and Arroyo. I really don't like playing the Giants in a best of five, especially starting on the road and especially with the prospect of a game five of Cain or Bumgarner vs. Arroyo.

I hope the Reds do not go Cueto, Arroyo, Latos. Either move Latos to start games two and five if going with a 3 man rotation or add Bailey to the rotation and take advantage of starting pitching depth and full rest.

The prospect of a Cueto, Arroyo, Latos three man rotation worries me, especially in a five man series with the Giants. I hope I am wrong.
    Latos absolutely owns the Giants, particularly in San Francisco. And Latos has been the Reds best pitcher in the second half of the season. The fact that he's only going to pitch once this series - in Cincinnati, no less - is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Latos absolutely owns the Giants, particularly in San Francisco. The fact that he's only going to pitch once this series - in Cincinnati, no less - is ridiculous.
    If the choice is between Latos in Cincinati and Arrroyo in SF or the opposite, give me Latos in Cincy. The guys who miss bats should be pitching in the park where balls in play hurt the most.

Player records vs. individual teams is silly -- not only because of sample size but because teams change every year. Only some of the current Giants were on those previous teams and the number of times Latos faced those players is still small enough to have those performances have basically zero predictive value. How Latos pitched against the Giants two years ago is borderline irrelevant.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?