Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early Look at 40-man decisions

Re: Early Look at 40-man decisions

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Wow. That is great for Ravin. Surprised he did not pitch better at Carolina throwing like that. He has to keep improving his secondary stuff.
    While I only saw him that one time in Carolina this year, it seemed to be pretty much the story of his season. He went 5+ that game. Through 5 innings, he had this line: 5ip, 2h, 1bb, 0er, 3K.

In the 6th inning he allowed a leadoff infield single, then walked three batters in a row before exiting the game. The first pitch from the reliever went over the wall for a grand slam and three more runs to Ravin.

When he had his control this season, he was flat out dominating regardless of whether he was in Bakersfield or in Carolina. But when he was off, he paid the price. There is a lot to like about Ravin and if he can ever find some consistency, he has a ton of potential.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ravin has come light years from where he was in terms of maturity. He never could get over the "one bad inning" problem when he just fell apart. This, I think, is still a maturity issue. Being able to face adversity and not get rattled is a big part of pitching. It's also a command issue. When he starts to lose his command, he gets hit (often taking miles off the fastball to get pitches over that are then blasted by the hitter).

I would love to see him put it together. He has come a long way. But still, he has now played six years of professional baseball. His career record is 13-40.

I agree, good arm. I think it will be a close call as far as the 40 man. I will say this: if he is left unprotected and gets taken by someone in the Rule V, he will be back with the Reds eventually. I don't think he could hold up for a full season in the bigs, even if you tried to hide him and only use him in extremely low pressure situations. He does not have that composure yet to deal with the pressure. I am pulling for him though.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd leave some open for the Reds eventual pursuit of CC Sabathia, Albert Pujols (for LF) and Jonathon Papelbon.
    Diet Coke shooting out of my nose BURNS! Damn you Mth!
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I'd love to see Votto's reaction if he were asked to move to left field for Pujols (or Fielder or anyone else for that matter) to man first base. It would say a lot about him.

Bumping this thread to continue discussion of the 40 man roster. The deadline for setting the 40 man roster is November 19th (last day some one in the system can be added to be protected from the Rule 5 draft) and the GM and Owners meetings take place next week. The Reds still sit several spots below 40 and there aren't really many obvious candidates that need to be added to avoid losing them.

When Walt let Maloney and others go, he stated that there were a number of young players who need to be protected to keep from losing them. I don't really see it. Phipps was already added and there are few others. Perhaps we'll see an addition or two from outside the organization soon. I posted soem names in October, but in hindsight Webb and Rojas don't look so hot and shouldn't be added. Not sure if H-Rod and Soto need added, they are obvious additions if so. Beyond them, I don't see much. The Reds need some AAA rotation depth. I'd think about adding Clayton Tanner if he needs to be added, but he probably wouldn't get picked if they don't. Perhaps they would sign a minor league FA Starting Pitcher or two with a 40 man spot as incentive to get their name on the contract.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Protect the arms and the guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark. Don't get too infatuated with adding multiple utility infielders; they're not going to get picked anyway.

Soto and H-Rod require adding. Ravin and Lotzkar might as well, and I'd give Jordan Smith a spot. He may have struggled earlier this year, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. Most of the other guys either don't profile as Rule 5 selections or are too young to fit on anybody's 25-man.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Soto and H-Rod require adding. Ravin and Lotzkar might as well, and I'd give Jordan Smith a spot. He may have struggled earlier this year, but I wouldn't write him off just yet. Most of the other guys either don't profile as Rule 5 selections or are too young to fit on anybody's 25-man.
    I don't know whether you realize it, but Jordan Smith is currently on the 40-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I can't see a team taking Lotzkar and keeping him on the 40 man roster. Though with his background, he may be a candidate to take and hide on the DL. In the few innings he's pitched in the minors, he could probably progress his innings count with rehab stints. Throw in a dash of winter ball and it might be a way to develop him while stealing him away. But next season thy would need to keep him again if they don't get enough time on the active roster. I just don't see it and if it does happen, I'd expect the Reds to have a chance to get him back at some point. I could see adding Ravin but he seems like the forever tease with a big arm who never produces much even in the minors.

I really hope they use these spots to attract a AAAA starter or two who they can stash at Louisville. The Reds have a couple of guys who could come out of the pen to make a spot start, but with Maloney gone, they really don't have a guy at AAA who could come up and start unless they send Wood or Chapman down. Having guys who may eventually become starters in the big league pen is nice, but I'd like to see a couple of guys who are stretched out and starting regularly in AAA available if the need arises. I really don't see a better use for all the open spots they have and if a use pops up, there are still plenty of guys who could be dropped without any remorse. IMO Jordan Smith is a guy I'd drop if room was needed. Negron, Valaika, and if necessary Fisher and Horst as well. Having room on the 40 man isn't really the problem its been in prior years since it looks like the Reds will use its ready minor league depth to fill the 25 man roster instead of cluttering it with scrap heap vets who are guaranteed multi-millions to do a minimum wage job. I hope the get a couple vet arms who are ticketed for AAA as insurance, but spare us the Renterias, Lewises and Lincolns of the world who are guaranteed jobs in Cincy.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-16-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I really hope they use these spots to attract a AAAA starter or two who they can stash at Louisville.
    Whether he starts or relieves, Brackman is a guy I'd like to see them add. He'll get a 40-man spot with somebody, I think.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

One name I had somehow overlooked in terms of players who have reached the Rule V eligibility level was Donald Lutz and Lutz will be added to the 40-man.

Is that your opinion or is that inside info? I'm surprised if it's inside info. Didn't think he had a high enough ceiling.

Didn't think he had a high enough ceiling.
    Lutz came on very strong last year. Hit .340 in the 2nd half at Dayton with good all-field power. Probably the best power-hitting prospect in the system right now, IMO.

Good video of him at www.minorleaguebaseball.com. Just enter his name in the search window.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Lutz came on very strong last year. Hit .340 in the 2nd half at Dayton with good all-field power. Probably the best power-hitting prospect in the system right now, IMO.

Good video of him at www.minorleaguebaseball.com. Just enter his name in the search window.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Donald Lutz.... but he isn't a better power hitting prospect than Neftali Soto is.

Don't get me wrong, I like Donald Lutz.... but he isn't a better power hitting prospect than Neftali Soto is.
    I may disagree with you there. Time will tell.

Turn Off Ads?