Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2012......Maybe

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Re: NBA 2012......Maybe

...and Stern kills the deal!

2. Turn Off Ads?

It looks like the NBA owners have been complaining to Stern and the League will block the completion of the trade. This could get interesting.

As a fan of the Rockets all I can say is thanks for killing it, Mr. Stern.

Wow couldn't this have been voted on before announcing it to the world? I understand the NBA owns the Hornets so technically all owners have a stake in the team...why not put the deal up for a vote before saying yes?

Now you have Chris Paul being tossed back and forth, Odom and Gasol back on a team that just traded them, and who knows what else. This kinda thing has to be avoidable.

Sounds like a bunch of whiny NBA owners to me.

Here is the proposed trade:

Earlier Thursday, the Hornets had agreed in principle to trade Paul to the Lakers for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom. The Rockets, the third team in the trade, would have acquired Gasol from New Orleans and dealt shooting guard Kevin Martin, power forward Luis Scola, point guard Goran Dragic and possibly a first-round pick to the Hornets.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1g0Ic8ZsX

If I am reading this correctly, New Orleans obtains Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic and a possible first-round pick for Paul. And Paul is a free agent after this year. Is that an unfair deal?
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    As a fan of the Rockets all I can say is thanks for killing it, Mr. Stern.
    From the Rockets point of view, that trade was HORRIBLE. I don't even know that Gasol is better than Scola at this point in their careers. The Grizzlies gave it a run with Pau as their best player. And it didn't work out. Not sure why Morey would think he could have any better luck with it several years after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of whiny NBA owners to me.

Here is the proposed trade:

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1g0Ic8ZsX

If I am reading this correctly, New Orleans obtains Lamar Odom, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic and a possible first-round pick for Paul.
    Is that an unfair deal?
    It's hard to say without knowing what else was being offered but it isn't like the Hornets are dealing from a position of strength, so getting Odom and Gasol looks like a pretty solid return to me. I'm not sure that I'd have turned around and flipped Gasol for Martin, Scola, Dragic and a first round pick but I think it's hard to argue that the Lakers weren't giving fair value.

I mean on one hand I can see why the NBA wouldn't want to deal away the club's best asset before trying to sell the team but at the same time how much value does the franchise lose when Paul walks and they get a couple of late first rounders from a sign and trade deal or possibly nothing at all?

In fairness, LeBron, Wade and Bosh colluding to play with each other was heavily investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    It's hard to say without knowing what else was being offered but it isn't like the Hornets are dealing from a position of strength, so getting Odom and Gasol looks like a pretty solid return to me. I'm not sure that I'd have turned around and flipped Gasol for Martin, Scola, Dragic and a first round pick but I think it's hard to argue that the Lakers weren't giving fair value.

I mean on one hand I can see why the NBA wouldn't want to deal away the club's best asset before trying to sell the team but at the same time how much value does the franchise lose when Paul walks and they get a couple of late first rounders from a sign and trade deal or possibly nothing at all?
    I think its more of the star players demanding to go to a few teams. I heard an email read on the radio this morning from Dan Gilbert to the commish. He was complaining about the trade but also made a very important point. He said something to the extent why don't we just have 5 power teams and 25 Washington Generals. The way things are headed in the NBA you will have power teams in LA, NY, Boston, Miami, and Chicago. As of now the only promising team not located in a geographic population center is Oklahoma City. For the betterment of the league and all 30 owners they better hope the NBA doesn't continue to spiral down this path.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Brandon Roy expected to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Dang, what a shame that kid had real game.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    That's too bad, he was one of my favorites. The guy could have been great if he had better knees. One of the most clutch shooters I've ever seen...

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think its more of the star players demanding to go to a few teams. I heard an email read on the radio this morning from Dan Gilbert to the commish. He was complaining about the trade but also made a very important point. He said something to the extent why don't we just have 5 power teams and 25 Washington Generals. The way things are headed in the NBA you will have power teams in LA, NY, Boston, Miami, and Chicago. As of now the only promising team not located in a geographic population center is Oklahoma City. For the betterment of the league and all 30 owners they better hope the NBA doesn't continue to spiral down this path.
    Dan Gilbert can complain all he want. The fact of the matter is, he had a once in a generation player, playing in his hometown, and wasn't able to put the pieces around him to convince him to stay. Larry Hughes? Mo Williams? Give me a break. The Cavs created their own mess. They were a poorly run franchise for several years. True, Gilbert showed up late to the show. But he pampered and showered LeBron with every need. He enabled him. And he put a poor product around him.

If Gilbert doesn't like the situation, he should get out of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Dan Gilbert can complain all he want. The fact of the matter is, he had a once in a generation player, playing in his hometown, and wasn't able to put the pieces around him to convince him to stay. Larry Hughes? Mo Williams? Give me a break. The Cavs created their own mess. They were a poorly run franchise for several years. True, Gilbert showed up late to the show. But he pampered and showered LeBron with every need. He enabled him. And he put a poor product around him.

If Gilbert doesn't like the situation, he should get out of the league.
    This isn't Dan Gilbert's fault. The NBA put themselves in this stupid situation. Both sides are right. The trade was fine, but to the league owning the team it isn't a good trade. I'm glad Stern looks like an idiot right now because this is 100% his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This is strawman argument and Stern looks like a buffoon for going along with it.

While I'm not a huge can of there being a handful of "super" teams and a bunch of also-ran teams, the veto of this deal does nothing to change the way that the landscape of the NBA is evolving.

Chris Paul isn't re-signing with New Orleans and no amount of hand wringing is going to change that fact. Instead of allowing Dell Demps to deal Chris Paul and getting the best return possible, these petulant owners have created a situation where Paul is going to still end up on a "super" team and New Orleans is going to get nothing in return.

The fact that Stern was willing to go along for the ride shows that he's completely out to lunch.

Turn Off Ads?