Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2012......Maybe

Re: NBA 2012......Maybe

How does that 'Amnesty" work? A team can simply drop a bad contract? Does that mean it no longer counts against their team payroll or does it mean they don't have to pay it off? Aren't those legally binding contracts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

NBA fans, tell me why you love watching the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Well if you like basketball, NBA players are the best in the world. If you enjoy watching something why wouldnt you want to watch the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    How does that 'Amnesty" work? A team can simply drop a bad contract? Does that mean it no longer counts against their team payroll or does it mean they don't have to pay it off? Aren't those legally binding contracts?
    They have to pay the actual money, but the salary cap hit is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Well if you like basketball, NBA players are the best in the world. If you enjoy watching something why wouldnt you want to watch the best?
    I agree that they are the best in the world but the "NBA brand" of basketball doesn't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    They have to pay the actual money, but the salary cap hit is gone.
    So the end result could be that the richer clubs who are over the cap could use this amnesty clause to get under the cap and then sign another stud free agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Because it's basketball at its highest level.

While I have appreciation for the pageantry of college basketball, the quality of play in the NBA is light years ahead of what you see on the college level. The players are more athletic and far more skilled, which makes for a far more entertaining brand of basketball. There are some dog games, but you can't beat watching great teams / players go up against each other.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Because it's basketball at its highest level.

While I have appreciation for the pageantry of college basketball, the quality of play in the NBA is light years ahead of what you see on the college level. The players are more athletic and far more skilled, which makes for a far more entertaining brand of basketball. There are some dog games, but you can't beat watching great teams / players go up against each other.
    I actually fall on the other side of that line. For me the mismatches and David/Goliath scenarios make college ball much more interesting. The evenly matched play of the NBA is like a game of tic-tac-toe between Einstein and Hawking.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    So the end result could be that the richer clubs who are over the cap could use this amnesty clause to get under the cap and then sign another stud free agent?
    Here is my understanding of how it works.

You can use it once and the player that you drop goes into a waiver type draft where teams can bid on how much they want to pay him. So if Player X is making $12M a team could bid $3M for him and if they are the high bid they pay him that and the other team pays him the remaining contract value, but it doesn't count against their cap.

In theory yes a team can drop a player and use it to sign another free agent, but you can only use this one time.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Here is my understanding of how it works.

You can use it once and the player that you drop goes into a waiver type draft where teams can bid on how much they want to pay him. So if Player X is making $12M a team could bid $3M for him and if they are the high bid they pay him that and the other team pays him the remaining contract value, but it doesn't count against their cap.

In theory yes a team can drop a player and use it to sign another free agent, but you can only use this one time.
    Thanks.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Sources say Chris Paul deal to the Lakers is 'done'. Odom, Scola, and Martin going to New Orleans and Gasol to the Rockets.

Well the inevitable Paul, Kobe, Howard vs. Wade, Lebron, Bosh NBA Finals does create some interesting match up issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Well the inevitable Paul, Kobe, Howard vs. Wade, Lebron, Bosh NBA Finals does create some interesting match up issues.
    I don't see how the Lakers have enough to get Howard after giving up Gasol and Odom in the deal to get Chris Paul and it's hard to believe that Howard is going to be willing to leave a ton of money on the table to sign with the Lakers as a free agent.

This is a huge roll of the dice for the Lakers. Obviously Chris Paul is a huge upgrade over Derek Fisher but at the same time I think going after Dwight Howard would have been the smarter play. Between the injury histories of Paul and Bynum and Kobe Bryant getting older I think this deal has the potential to blow up in the Lakers' face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Sources say Chris Paul deal to the Lakers is 'done'. Odom, Scola, and Martin going to New Orleans and Gasol to the Rockets.
    CP3 a Laker?

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

There's been plenty of speculation that this deal was only done because they have a deal for Howard in place, but I don't know what incentive the Magic have now to deal Howard to the Lakers.

Turn Off Ads?