Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: NBA 2012......Maybe

Re: NBA 2012......Maybe

PS: I will go to my grave believing that if Wade hadn't gotten hurt in Game 6 of the 2005 Eastern Division Championship, he would now have 3 rings.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Wade is far from 100%. Watch him opt out from the Olympic team because he needs time to heal. Still not a bad effort.
    As far as comparing 2006 Wade with Pippen, .......put Pippen on that Heat team instead of Wade and the Heat wouldn't have gotten past Round 1. Pippin was a nice side kick. Wade put that team on his back and carried it to a championship.
    As far as d'ing up, Wade has always played very good defense.
    I know Wade wasn't 100%, that's what I mean by "current version", the 2012 playoff run. Wade's a good defender but Scottie was an amazing defender, like on Lebrons level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'll be glad when the NBA Finals is over so they can talk about something else on that show. There's not enough going on with one game every other day to fill two hours of discussion. I actually like Skip and look forward to less Stephen A. the rest of the summer
    When Baseless can make Smith look more clear and levelheaded....then there is a problem. Skip looks like a borderline mental case.......And all that show is about is what he wants to talk about.... I Hate LeBron....Tony Romo is a great QB and the Cowboys will win the DSB again this year....And Tim Tebow. Have we not jumped the shark on how far we will go to tolerate this man stupidity? (I mean Skip's, not yours. )

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I don't think that the fact that LeBron needed to be surrounded by better talent to win is the reason for the discontent, it's more related to the inorganic way that the Heat came to be.

As you point out the Bulls were loaded with talent aside from Jordan, but for the most part the nucleus of the Bull's dynasty was homegrown and it took time for the team to develop into the team that won 6 championships in 8 years. The same is more or less true for the Lakers, though Kareem was obviously a FA acquisition.

While I don't blame LeBron for feeling that he needed to surround himself with more talent in order to get a ring, but at the same time I don't feel like it's unfair to say that the way that the Heat came together just doesn't feel right and can see why people are slow to embrace them as a team.
    Actually, Kareem was a trade acquisition.

But I agree with what you said there. I dont hate LeBron, I just dont like the Heat for how they came together, just like the Yankees.

With that being said, I think the Heat as they are great for the NBA.

Wonder if Dan Gilbert is on suicide watch?

His proclamation of the Cavs winning a championship before LeBron does really doesn't hold much weight now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Wonder if Dan Gilbert is on suicide watch?

His proclamation of the Cavs winning a championship before LeBron does really doesn't hold much weight now.
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, maybe he was just trying to fire up the season ticket holders...probably better than this.

Oh no! We suck again! - YouTube

Perhaps it is good that the NBA season ended. I had a dream where Kevin Durant was hanging out with my friends, where I was continuously posting him up around the house. Then, I was walking Ashley Cole (England and Chelsea left back) back to his car when we noticed that someone had broken into his car. So, Cole called the cops and when they showed up, something ridiculous happened. The cop wrote down his number (a 20 digit long British style phone number, apparently my brain doesnt know how many numbers are on a standard British phone number) and his name and the pointed to the name on the card. I looked at the name and it said, "Gordon Hayward" (spelled correctly incidentally). He then looked at me, winked, and left. I'm glad basketball has ended. The next step is to stop drinking before bed...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

My 2 cents on the Heat and the Bulls. #1 Nary a Bull player was a HOF without MJ's presence. Rodman & Pippen were borderline guys without the rings (though Dennis had rings before MJ with Isiah). Horace Grant might have been had he stayed in Chicago but as we saw he didn't and therefore he isn't because without MJ he was exposed. No one else was close to HOF caliber. My point is MJ demanded much from his teammates as he was directed to by the only other legit HOF'r Phil Jackson. The other point which was already made is that the Bulls were grown together with the one exception of Rodman who was toiling away in San Antonio. None of them were Superstars on other teams who decided to join MJ and MJ stayed with the team who drafted him and took that team from also ran to top of the heap.

As far as the LeBron thing goes he was on his way to MJ and Kobe type status as he took Cleveland to an NBA finals. He was garnering alot of respect for doing what MJ had done, putting a franchise on his back and changing the fortunes & perception of that franchise. Everyone loves an underdog, most don't care for frontrunners. He looked like the former but in the end proved to be the latter IMO. Spin it anyway you want, LeBron took the easy way to his title, by allowing another HOF'r to get him there. I don't have a problem with Dwade, the Heat or really even Bosh for doing what they done, just LeBron and I root against them because I lost respect for him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My 2 cents on the Heat and the Bulls. #1 Nary a Bull player was a HOF without MJ's presence. Rodman & Pippen were borderline guys without the rings (though Dennis had rings before MJ with Isiah). Horace Grant might have been had he stayed in Chicago but as we saw he didn't and therefore he isn't because without MJ he was exposed. No one else was close to HOF caliber. My point is MJ demanded much from his teammates as he was directed to by the only other legit HOF'r Phil Jackson. The other point which was already made is that the Bulls were grown together with the one exception of Rodman who was toiling away in San Antonio. None of them were Superstars on other teams who decided to join MJ and MJ stayed with the team who drafted him and took that team from also ran to top of the heap.

As far as the LeBron thing goes he was on his way to MJ and Kobe type status as he took Cleveland to an NBA finals. He was garnering alot of respect for doing what MJ had done, putting a franchise on his back and changing the fortunes & perception of that franchise. Everyone loves an underdog, most don't care for frontrunners. He looked like the former but in the end proved to be the latter IMO. Spin it anyway you want, LeBron took the easy way to his title, by allowing another HOF'r to get him there. I don't have a problem with Dwade, the Heat or really even Bosh for doing what they done, just LeBron and I root against them because I lost respect for him.
    I'm not even sure where to start. Pippen is one of the 5 best defenders in NBA history (along with Russell, Jordan, LeBron, and probably Olajuwon or Payton IMO). Everyone was impressed with LeBron (and rightfully so) for defending all 5 positions, but Scottie was one of the first to do it. Also, Scottie essentially averages 20, 7, 6 and 2.5 steals for an 8 year all while playing what was essentially a hybrid SF/PG. Everything points to him being a HOFer, and a top tier one at that. Bill Simmons in his Book of Basketball put him as the 24th best player of all time.

As for LeBron, I couldn't disagree more with what you said. You can say that LeBron hitched his wagon to Wade and Bosh so that he didn't have to win it all himself, but he ended up doing exactly what he was trying to avoid. In fact, I would argue that Bosh and especially Wade were smart to hitch their wagons to the human freight train that is LeBron. He lead the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks in the post season. He got every tough defensive assignment and had to make up for Wade putting up stinkers in a bunch of games along with Bosh missing essentially a series and a half and scoring and rebounding below his season average. Every other player on that team was a question mark going into every game. Will Battier or Miller make any threes? Will Chalmers find a way to ruin another fast break with Wade on one wing and LeBron on the other? Will Haslem make a jumper at all? What crappy center will be forced to play? LeBron made up for every gaping deficiency on the team.

Now, did I love the Decision? No. But,if a guys worst mistake made millions for the Boys and Girls club, I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm not even sure where to start. Pippen is one of the 5 best defenders in NBA history (along with Russell, Jordan, LeBron, and probably Olajuwon or Payton IMO). Everyone was impressed with LeBron (and rightfully so) for defending all 5 positions, but Scottie was one of the first to do it. Also, Scottie essentially averages 20, 7, 6 and 2.5 steals for an 8 year all while playing what was essentially a hybrid SF/PG. Everything points to him being a HOFer, and a top tier one at that. Bill Simmons in his Book of Basketball put him as the 24th best player of all time.

As for LeBron, I couldn't disagree more with what you said. You can say that LeBron hitched his wagon to Wade and Bosh so that he didn't have to win it all himself, but he ended up doing exactly what he was trying to avoid. In fact, I would argue that Bosh and especially Wade were smart to hitch their wagons to the human freight train that is LeBron. He lead the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks in the post season. He got every tough defensive assignment and had to make up for Wade putting up stinkers in a bunch of games along with Bosh missing essentially a series and a half and scoring and rebounding below his season average. Every other player on that team was a question mark going into every game. Will Battier or Miller make any threes? Will Chalmers find a way to ruin another fast break with Wade on one wing and LeBron on the other? Will Haslem make a jumper at all? What crappy center will be forced to play? LeBron made up for every gaping deficiency on the team.

Now, did I love the Decision? No. But,if a guys worst mistake made millions for the Boys and Girls club, I can live with that.
    Pretty much agree with all of this.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

If you think MJ would have hung around Cleveland his entire career if the best player they put on his team was freakin' Antawn Jamison, you're insane. He would have left with a quickness.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If you think MJ would have hung around Cleveland his entire career if the best player they put on his team was freakin' Antawn Jamison, you're insane. He would have left with a quickness.
    Imagine Magic or Bird playing on some of the teams Barkley had in the late '80's. They would have went to Phoenix too. Bird and Magic had championship teams in their first two years and were constantly surrounded with HOF'ers. Would either of them have spent their prime with Mike Gminski as the second best player on their teams? Also, MJ's front office was smart NOT to give in to his whims (unlike the Cavs w/ LeBron, the players don't know what is best for an organization). And, as we've seen, Jordan shouldn't be making any personnel decisions. This was really evident in the Dream Team documentary when Michael and Scottie went out of their way to embarass Toni Kukoc. They hated the way Jerry Krause was drooling all over Kukoc while not taking care of Scottie's contract. But, Kukoc was excellent for Chicago and helped the Bulls have the greatest season in NBA history.

One other thing about the Heat. Why isn't Spoelstra getting any credit? Sure he had the best player on Earth, but Phil did too and he got tons of credit. Here is why I bring this up. Spoelstra got LeBron to change his game mid-season. LeBron didn't want to play PF (and has said after the title that he doesn't expect that change to be permanent), but Spo got him to do it and it was that change that turned Miami around. It allowed Wade and LeBron to coexist better and opened up the floor for their shooters. But, it takes alot of guts and pull to get the best player in basketball to play a way he doesn't want to play, and not too many coaches would be able or even try to do that with their superstars. It was an excellent display of tactical and personnel coaching.
    Last edited by improbus; 06-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Some pretty good stuff there fellas.

I personally dont like what LeBron did to Cleveland or the way he did it. And I especially dont like the fact that he was the local kid made good and turned his back on his "home town" team. But what I think doesnt matter, what Lebron thinks, does. And that is fine by me, America is the land of oppurtunity.

As far as the Pippen talk goes, history has already written that chapter. To those that say Jordan made him, I can see where they are coming from however I would say what if he played those "prime years" with LA, Portland, New York, or even Indiana? Something tells me that he would have found his way into the Hall without MJ given the right team.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Some pretty good stuff there fellas.

I personally dont like what LeBron did to Cleveland or the way he did it. And I especially dont like the fact that he was the local kid made good and turned his back on his "home town" team. But what I think doesnt matter, what Lebron thinks, does. And that is fine by me, America is the land of oppurtunity.

As far as the Pippen talk goes, history has already written that chapter. To those that say Jordan made him, I can see where they are coming from however I would say what if he played those "prime years" with LA, Portland, New York, or even Indiana? Something tells me that he would have found his way into the Hall without MJ given the right team.
    Pip came within a few bad Rasheed jumpers of beating the Lakers and taking Portland to the finals.

Also, doesn't everyone from Ohio who wants to do something great leave? Our license plate and State Quarter used said, "Birthplace of Aviation." I always found this abundantly sad. Ohio is not actually where aviation happened, just where the guys who were involved we're born. I always thought we should have put our horrific presidents on the coin and let people marvel at our amazing contribution to the highest office in the land.

Turn Off Ads?