Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 10/5

Birthdays- 10/5

Slim pickings...

Reds:

Andy Kosco (70) -Had a nice year as a pinch hitter for the 1973 Reds.

Long John Reilly -Reds 1B in the 1880s. Led the league in homers twice and triples once with 26.

Others:

Jim Bagby Sr.- Could technically be listed with the Reds, but spent the vast majority of his career in Cleveland, for whom he won 31 games in 1920.

Claude Richey- Honus Wagner's double play partner. His nickname was "Little All Right"; I don't know who "Big All Right" was...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays- 10/5

I can remember having a poster that featured prominent Reds players from that 1973 season. Kosco was one of those players. I looked up his stats on Retrosheet. He only had 118 AB's in 1973 and 45 or so in 1974 before being released by the Reds. It's funny when you are young how you remember players being much better than what they really were.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Kosco had big, wire-framed glasses and looked like a CPA more than a baseball player.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Slim pickings...

Reds:

Andy Kosco (70) -Had a nice year as a pinch hitter for the 1973 Reds.

Long John Reilly -Reds 1B in the 1880s. Led the league in homers twice and triples once with 26.

Others:

Jim Bagby Sr.- Could technically be listed with the Reds, but spent the vast majority of his career in Cleveland, for whom he won 31 games in 1920.

Claude Richey- Honus Wagner's double play partner. His nickname was "Little All Right"; I don't know who "Big All Right" was...
    ...and then there's Scottie Slayback. He was in 2 games and batted 8 times with no hits for the 1926 New York Giants. Why do I take note of that? Because Scottie lived near the little village where I was born and grew up and is buried just 5 miles away from where I live now. As a young adult I had heard that he had actually been in a couple of major league games but I never took the time and effort to seek him out and ask him about his time playing baseball. I regret not doing that now. I'm more and more in awe of anyone who has make it to the big leagues...even for 8 at bats with no hits.

Just think, he played ever so briefly for John McGraw and on the same team with Mel Ott and Frankie Frisch and Bill Terry and Freddie Fitzsimmons.

I understand how Moonlight Graham felt.

Turn Off Ads?