Robin Ventura named White Sox manager

Didn't see that one coming.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Robin Ventura named White Sox manager

I hope he tries to start a brawl with the President of the Texas Rangers.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I thought they'd go with experience, but when you think about it, they named a fiery, ex-Chisox infielder. Sounds slightly familiar....

Finally, I'll be able to understand what the manager of the sox is saying on tv.

NOBODY saw that one coming....I bet Ventura's mama said "who"?

A MLB team hiring a guy who has managed at no level in baseball.... this is going to go well.

i remember 2 things about Ventura....hitting that walk off grand slam against the braves(it was the braves wasn't it?)and not being able to round the bases because of all the fans on the field and of course #2 having his arse handed to him by and old man!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A MLB team hiring a guy who has managed at no level in baseball.... this is going to go well.
    Ozzie went pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ozzie went pretty well.
    Ozzie at least was a coach for several years (Expos and Marlins) before being hired on as a manager. Ventura has never been a coach that I know of. Am I wrong here (I honestly don't know, but would like to)?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ozzie went pretty well.
    but AJ Hinch says 'what up?'
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Ozzie at least was a coach for several years (Expos and Marlins) before being hired on as a manager. Ventura has never been a coach that I know of. Am I wrong here (I honestly don't know, but would like to)?
    I think I read that he was an assistant coach for his local high school team...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

There's something so very "silly talk radio caller idea" about this. Only the White Sox.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i remember 2 things about Ventura....hitting that walk off grand slam against the braves(it was the braves wasn't it?)and not being able to round the bases because of all the fans on the field and of course #2 having his arse handed to him by and old man!
    I also remember him snapping his ankle in disgusting fashion sliding into home. Apparently he has an ankle replacement now.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

Not sure why a guy that played baseball most his life and made it to the highest level in the sport wouldn't be qualified to coach, although I'm sure there's going to be more then a few others that share your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Not sure why a guy that played baseball most his life and made it to the highest level in the sport wouldn't be qualified to coach, although I'm sure there's going to be more then a few others that share your opinion.
    Wow!

I thought Rays Bench Coach Dave Martinez would be a perfect fit for the White Sox job.

Maybe the Red Sox will snap him up.

Turn Off Ads?