Turn Off Ads?

Thread: chapman to rotation according to Fay..

chapman to rotation according to Fay..

Fay is reporting the Reds will begin having Chapman work towards being a starter this offseason. so my question..

1. Will he be in the opening day rotation?

2. How many starts/innings do you see him getting in 2012?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: chapman to rotation according to Fay..

1) i say no
    2) dont know about starts but he was a starter in cuba right? anyway to look how many innings he has pitched?

good news imo

I could see Chapman being the 5th starter, keeping him down to a 160-170 inning season.

I could also see him being back in the pen.

You have to wonder, why didn't they have pitch more inning in Sept?

If Chapman can make the move it would be good for the Reds.

As a Cardinal fan, when Kyle McClellan was moved to the rotation at the begining of 2011 he looked pretty darn good for about 2 months, he then was spotty for anoother 4-6 weeks after a trip to the 15 day DL. He was moved back to the 'pen when the Rasmus/Jackson trade happened. He was mediocre in the pen for the last 6-8 weeks of the season and actually didn't get put on the post-season roster with dead arm.

The reason I mentioned this is because I would hate to see Chapman kick butt for 1/3 of a season and then be a liability to the team for 4 months, it would be better for the club to kick some late inning butt for a whole season instead of leaving the hole in the 'pen AND be an ineffective starter for most of the season.

I mean no disrespect but the Reds have got to foind some starters or 2012 will be another disappointing year. To rob from the 'pen to upgrade 1 out of 5 games for 1/3 to 1/2 of the season is no upgrade IMO. Please take this as intended, just a viewpoint from outside the regular fanbase and not in any way meant as an attack of any kind.

I doubt Chapman pitches more then 150 innings next year. I kinda see him starting in Lousiville, coming up in say early June and pitch until August then being shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I doubt Chapman pitches more then 150 innings next year. I kinda see him starting in Lousiville, coming up in say early June and pitch until August then being shut down.
    That would be a good way to do it. Forgive my lack of knowledge about the Reds depth but do you have enough relievers in Louisville that could make the jump to the ML level to fill the 'pen for 2012?

He has got to get his pitch count down or he'll never get out of the 4th inning. I really don't see Chapman being anywhere close to ready as a starter. He just takes too many pitches to get guys out. I'd like to be positive, but I don't see it working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    He has got to get his pitch count down or he'll never get out of the 4th inning. I really don't see Chapman being anywhere close to ready as a starter. He just takes too many pitches to get guys out. I'd like to be positive, but I don't see it working out.
    I think you have a different perspective as a starter over coming out of the pen. I think with good work with Ted Power and such I think in time (2013 season) he could be a real force. But it's not going to happen overnight and is why it should have started this season, especially once we knew we were out of the playoff hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    That would be a good way to do it. Forgive my lack of knowledge about the Reds depth but do you have enough relievers in Louisville that could make the jump to the ML level to fill the 'pen for 2012?
    We have two relievers that had pretty darn good seasons between AA/AAA. Boxberger and Christiani. Boxberger, as I have seen is consistently 96-98 out pf the pen with both plus pitches for curve and slider. Christiani is 92-94, and has a pretty good slider and change-up.

Boxberger- 2-4, 62 IP, 2.03 ERA, 93 K's, 28 BB's, .968 WHIP, 13.5 SO/9, 3.32 SO/BB.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    We have two relievers that had pretty darn good seasons between AA/AAA. Boxberger and Christiani. Boxberger, as I have seen is consistently 96-98 out pf the pen with both plus pitches for curve and slider. Christiani is 92-94, and has a pretty good slider and change-up.

Boxberger- 2-4, 62 IP, 2.03 ERA, 93 K's, 28 BB's, .968 WHIP, 13.5 SO/9, 3.32 SO/BB.
    Thanks nate for enlightening me. I appreciate it and hope that at least 1 works out in the bigs. Too many guys kick butt in AAA and falter in the bigs, career AAAA players - too good for the minors and not good enough for the majors.

P.S. Cards up 1-0 against the Phils in the bottom of the 4th tonight. Winner gets the Brewers for a trip to the World Series!

will chapman go back to his wind-up?

Turn Off Ads?