Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxberger starts in style

Boxberger starts in style

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...arts-in-style/

"Boxberger, the 23-year-old right-hander, went 2-4 with a 2.03 ERA while splitting time pretty evenly between Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville. In 62 innings, he allowed 32 hits, walked 28 and struck out 93."

The Enquirer

My Take: Do we really want to live with heart attack Cordero for millions when we could live with, at worst, a heart attack rookie for 2 pop tarts and a scoobie snack?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boxberger starts in style

Perhaps, since Cordero was pretty decent this year and there's plenty of time for Box to learn the ropes in AAA or a middle relief/setup role. Cordero would be back for significantly cheaper as well. You saw what happened when we overpromoted Jordan Smith before his time... now imagine putting him into a closer role.

I don't really follow our minor leagues at all so I can't comment on Boxberger. If he is ready then I'd love for him to make the jump, especially with the lack of reliable guys in our pen.

And with Coco always making me nervous, like I'm sure he does every other Reds fan, he still had a really good year. We can do a lot worse... It all depends on what kind of money he'd be asking for in a 2 year deal.

To me it comes down to $$$ I would only resign him for a 2 year deal and no more then 3-4 million per year, anything more I thank Co-Co for his service and wish him well.

I would just let Cordero walk. The 10 million spent on him this year coupled with the 4-5 million spent on Hernandez/Gomes/Renteria can be used to pay for 1 legit FA pitcher. I'd bring up Boxberger and throw him in the 8th inning role right away. The Reds have plenty of bullpen arms that they don't need Masset or Cordero. You're telling me that the Reds can't find a useful 8th inning/closer from the group of:

1) Arredondo
    2) Bray
    3) Ondrusek
    4) Lecure
    5) Wood
    6) Volquez
    7) Boxberger

The Reds need 1 legit starter to get them over the top and Cordero's money allows them to do that. He served his purpose here and I wish him well but he's not a championship caliber closer now or ever.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I would just let Cordero walk. The 10 million spent on him this year coupled with the 4-5 million spent on Hernandez/Gomes/Renteria can be used to pay for 1 legit FA pitcher. I'd bring up Boxberger and throw him in the 8th inning role right away. The Reds have plenty of bullpen arms that they don't need Masset or Cordero. You're telling me that the Reds can't find a useful 8th inning/closer from the group of:

1) Arredondo
    2) Bray
    3) Ondrusek
    4) Lecure
    5) Wood
    6) Volquez
    7) Boxberger

The Reds need 1 legit starter to get them over the top and Cordero's money allows them to do that. He served his purpose here and I wish him well but he's not a championship caliber closer now or ever.
    I agree we could use a TOR starter. Since you're asking of those listed who could close...hmm

Arredondo - If our options are only these guys listed I'm going with him.
    Bray - His numbers say he's good, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with him as a closer. Could he handle the workload a closer would get a good team (hopefully)?
    Ondrusek - Please no. He wore down by mid summer.
    Lecure - Maybe. He has the stamina to do it at least.
    Wood - Doesn't throw enough strikes. Does not attack hitters, he nibbles at the plate. Not the kind of approach I would want in that role.
    Volquez - Interesting thought, definitely has the stuff. He'd have to show us a lot more before he'd ever get the chance though.
    Boxberger - I admittedly don't know that much about him. That would be a huge jump though.

Cordero has already said he's happy here. Ideally he'd sign a 2 year contract that will be affordable for us. Just my 0.02.

agree enough money has been wasted on cordero, low market teams must not overspend for closers, the braves grow their own closers, dont pay for useless cordero

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post

1) Arredondo
    2) Bray
    3) Ondrusek
    4) Lecure
    5) Wood
    6) Volquez
    7) Boxberger

I'd let him walk too. Bring up Boxberger. If they are still concerned about the bullpen, use the saved money to sign some free agents or make some trades to add bullpen help.

I think Bronson should be our closer next year, I think he could be the next Dennis Eckersley.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think Bronson should be our closer next year, I think he could be the next Dennis Eckersley.
    Not in GABP..... He gives up WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY too many homeruns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Not in GABP..... He gives up WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY too many homeruns.
    Usually not in the first though.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Usually not in the first though.
    I'd still rather not chance it.........Hope he gets it together this OS, and comes into camp, in better health, and can produce. IF not, then he becomes another waste of space and money.

Most inside people know that a reliable reliever can also be a closer, and that the "closer" is really a macho-man thing. The idea that it is a high-skill position, like 2nd base or shortstop, pleases the fans. It's just a reliever with a fu-Manchu.

Much better to spend money elsewhere.

I would say to go with either Boxberger or Chapman in that role and save money for other relievers or SP because wants the point in giving a CL even $5 mil if you can't get there because your SP sucks and your bullpen sucks. That's like saying you've got the greatest ending to a movie but no story or climax. I will say that I didn't think our bullpen did that bad because its tough when at the beginning of the season when your starting pitchers are going 5-6 innings every outing. I think Dusty has no idea what's going on in the bullpen because at the beginning of the season he has no faith in his starters so he taxes the bullpen, then at the end of the season he has no faith in the bullpen so he taxes our SP. I say we get rid of Co-Co and use that money to hire a new manager.

The Reds bullpen was probably the most disappointing part of the 2011 Reds(and overrated in 2010). But these things can fly around a bit. They lacked depth last year and didn't make the good pitches. That can change with the same cast and a addition(Boxberger).

Turn Off Ads?