phills should not have swept atlanta

they let the cardinals in the playoffs

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: phills should not have swept atlanta

Funny how that works sometimes.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

So they should have purposely not have competed in the final 3 games of the season...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttt

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I said it at the time on another thread. I would have let the Braves win that last one to clinch the wild card.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

i thought this same thing at the end of the regular season. i think the cards were 5 and 1 vs philly before the playoffs began. I would have let Philly controlled their own matchup and took the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    i thought this same thing at the end of the regular season. i think the cards were 5 and 1 vs philly before the playoffs began. I would have let Philly controlled their own matchup and took the wrong one.
    The Cards played the Phillies 9 times during the regular season and won 6 of those games. Cards swept a 2 game set May 16-17 at Busch; the Phils took 2 out of 3 in STL June 21-23 @ the Cards took 3 out of 4 in PHI September 16-19. The last 4 game set may have been skewed somewhat since STL won the first game, PHI won the 2nd & clinched their playoff spot which means they rested quite a few starters the next game or 2 (every team does this, just mentioning that it happened).

The fact that the Phils clinched and then lost 8 in a row necessitated the fact that they had to play hard against Atlanta to avoid going into the playoffs on a terrible losing streak. Had they lost 1 game to ATL the 1 game playoff would have been in STL & if they lost 2 to ATL then PHI would have entered the post-season losing 10 out of 12 games. Either scenario wasn't favorable and even with the sweep the Phils came in on a 4 game winning streak but that 8 game losing streak was too recent ot count out.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    So they should have purposely not have competed in the final 3 games of the season...riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggg ggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttt

YEP

they should have rested their players, If they would have rested their big players they would have played a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I said it at the time on another thread. I would have let the Braves win that last one to clinch the wild card.
    Well then you were wrong twice. The Braves winning the last one wouldn't have clinched the Wildcard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiss the Baby00 View Post
    Cards were 6-3 against Philly and one of the few teams to own them this year
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Well then you were wrong twice. The Braves winning the last one wouldn't have clinched the Wildcard.
    Okay, smart guy. Let me restate myself. I would have made sure Atlanta won the wild card whatever it took.

Any smart team does not want to play the hottest team come the playoffs. And clearly the Cardinals had it rolling and the Braves were struggling.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Okay, smart guy. Let me restate myself. I would have made sure Atlanta won the wild card whatever it took.

Any smart team does not want to play the hottest team come the playoffs. And clearly the Cardinals had it rolling and the Braves were struggling.
    Do whatever it takes and let the Braves sweep them? Yeah, going into the playoffs having lost 12 of their last 14 would have been genius. Guess what, if they let the Braves sweep them, they're no longer struggling.

Your hate of the Cardinals is blinding you from common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Do whatever it takes and let the Braves sweep them? Yeah, going into the playoffs having lost 12 of their last 14 would have been genius. Guess what, if they let the Braves sweep them, they're no longer struggling.

Your hate of the Cardinals is blinding you from common sense.
    Well since I originally said it when the regular season ended (on another thread), and since the Phillies got knocked off by the Cardinals (since the Braves didn't make the playoffs).........

......I'm looking pretty brilliant!

What does it matter? It is what it is, St.L is in the World Series and so is Josh Hamilton...If only we hadn't made that stupid ass trade in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post

Yup, I can see it, the Yanks did it to keep Boston out.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Yup, I can see it, the Yanks did it to keep Boston out.
    If they did that purposely my hats off to the Yankees. I depise the Red Sox.

Turn Off Ads?