Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do with Brandon Philips?

Re: What would you do with Brandon Philips?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd go longer if the contract decreased in value each year.

'12 (turns 31 in June) - $15M
    '13 (32) - $12M
    '14 (33) - $9M
    '15 (34) - $8M + incentives
    '16 (35) - $7M + incentives

5 years - $51M guaranteed. Big paycheck up front.
    This is a good structure Vottomatic. I feel that a LOT of contracts will go the way of less guaranteed and more incentives in the near future. Teams cannot keep paying midlevel decent players Ten's of Millions of dollars for less and less performance. Let's take BP for instance, I'm going to take liberties with your quoted structure:

'12 (turns 31 in June) - $15M(or $12.5M guaranteed + up to $3M in incentives)
    '13 (32) - $12M (or $10M salary + up to $3M in incentives)
    '14 (33) - $9M ($8M + $3M performance incentives)
    '15 (34) - $8M + incentives ($7M + up to $4-4.5M incentives)
    '16 (35) - $7M + incentives ($7M + $4M incentives)

The club's guaranteed money is lessened and every club not in the Brox, Boston, or Philly needs that + when BP performs he can make more than you proposed. If the players are performing, then the fans come to see & the club is winning more games (that is the point isn't it). This isn't the perfect structure but you see where I'm going with it I hope. BP makes $44M guaranteed and if he keeps up his performance could pocket up to $60M & in this case more times than not it means that the Reds are at the very least competing if not a playoff team. 1 player doesn't make any team get into the playoffs but at least if a player starts stinking up the joint then his paycheck gets smaller.

I jump off the soapbox now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    I would pick up his option and trade him.

He wants 4-5 year deal at 15 million each, screw that use the money to keep Votto
    votto cost way to much + bp would be steal at what ppl are saying

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    votto cost way to much + bp would be steal at what ppl are saying
    Phillips is not worth 15 million

Phillips will be 31 for the option year

32 the season an extension would start

a 4-5 year contract for a 32 year old is insane

This is MLB, insane contracts happen all the time. I would rather "overpay" for BP then waste money on the likes of ER or such.

I feel the same way about Phillips as I did with Arroyo last season. He outperformed his last contract and he and his agent are going to be pushing for market value based on that past performance, which I don't blame them.

The problem of course is that moving forward I would not be going very far out on a limb to say his next 5 years will not exceed or even match his past 5 years. So while he outperformed his last contract he will most likely underperform his next contract, which is something small/mid market teams cannot afford.

So similar to what I said about Arroyo last year, see if you can sign him to a team friendly contract. If they decline (and I don't blame them if they do, it is their last opportunity for big $$$) you pick up their option and let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    I feel the same way about Phillips as I did with Arroyo last season. He outperformed his last contract and he and his agent are going to be pushing for market value based on that past performance, which I don't blame them.

The problem of course is that moving forward I would not be going very far out on a limb to say his next 5 years will not exceed or even match his past 5 years. So while he outperformed his last contract he will most likely underperform his next contract, which is something small/mid market teams cannot afford.

So similar to what I said about Arroyo last year, see if you can sign him to a team friendly contract. If they decline (and I don't blame them if they do, it is their last opportunity for big $$$) you pick up their option and let the chips fall where they may.
    arroyo was average at best. bp is like top 3 at his spot. id be willing to bet he does good the next 2-3 yrs. also if bp wanted im sure he could get over 15 m

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

There was one reason, simply, they signed Arroyo. Innings-eater.

Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Wood, Leake, in 2010, struggled to go 6 or 7 innings at times, and it put a strain on the bullpen.

where do u get 4-5

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

I would go as far as possible to keep BP, but we can't bet the farm on him alone.

I personally do not think that the reds and BP will make a deal this offseason unless they offer him too much (which many people have pointed out). The only other deal that I could see him going after is the one that Vottomatic suggested. Phillips seems to be a very motivated person and I think that he would rise to the occasion if given the incentives offer.

If this deal doesn't happen then my hope is that the reds pick up the option for next year and evaluate both Phillips and Cozart. Phillips is still playing well but Cozart could be ready by 2013.

Again, my hope is that he signs an extension with incentives but I'm not sure that will be on the table.

5 years at 55-65 million sounds reasonable to me, considering we're talking about one of the top-tier second basemen in the game. If and when Votto departs for greener pastures, we're going to need some consistent batting from the rest of the squad, and Phillips is as much of a sure thing and team leader as we've got. Keep in mind that other free agent second basemen are going to be just as pricey, and we don't have any surefire second base prospects behind him either. And if you think that Valaika is a worthy stopgap, consider how well Janish fared in his starting stint. Give him that contract!
    Last edited by The DARK; 10-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Again. I'd do a $50M to $55M contract over 5 years. I'd make his yearly pay higher at the beginning and go down in value, because common sense tells you he will probably decline instead of improve as he ages.

'12: $15M (his big payday at age 31)
    '13: $11M (32)
    '14: $10M (33)
    '15: $ 9M (34)
    '16: $ 7M (35)

$52M and maybe throw in some incentive clauses for '14 thru '16 so he can make another $3M.

Turn Off Ads?