Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long do you use the same razor blade?

Re: How long do you use the same razor blade?

I have to confess, I've never owned a razor in my entire life. During my high school years when I had to shave for school (and only then infrequently, until the vice-principal would holler at me to shave), I used my Dad's electric (as did my brothers). Once I finished school, I've only shaved a handful of times and haven't been without my beard since September, 1978. Likewise, I wear my beard full, so I don't do any of the trimming of any areas, hence no razor. I did use my wife's once when I was having some surgery. First time I'd ever used a non-electric razor on myself.

Reading about all the time and money folks put in to shaving makes me even happier to always have my beard.

BTW, my wife and none of my kids have ever seen me without a beard.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    BTW, my wife and none of my kids have ever seen me without a beard.
    Mine have, over the last 20+ years, on a couple of rare occasions. On a whim I've shaved it off, and then my wife will scream "Grow it back! Now!". Some look better with a beard then without.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Mine have, over the last 20+ years, on a couple of rare occasions. On a whim I've shaved it off, and then my wife will scream "Grow it back! Now!". Some look better with a beard then without.
    I have had a mustache most of my adult life. I would occasionally shave it off. The first time I did after being married my wife gave out a horror-like shriek. I said "Wow Am I really that ugly". She never really answered me back. So I rarely shave it off anymore so I won't scare the wife to death.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Well I still can't conquer the razor bumps on my neck. I soaked my neck under hot water in the shower for 5 minutes, did the hot towel for another couple minutes, let the shaving cream soak for 5 and waited to shave the irritated area last.. Still got them. They're annoying. Only happens in this one area of my neck to the right of my Adams apple.

Any other ideas? Should I try a different cream? A different razor(that's why I asked about the straight razor)? Or am I resigned to having this irritation for the rest of my days?
    I have no way of knowing if it's just marketing gobbledygook but Gillette's fusion brand has a pre-shave face wash which warms up as your rub it in to your face. The experience is pretty cool, and I've noticed a slightly cleaner shave, but I don't know if it would help what you're doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I have had a mustache most of my adult life. I would occasionally shave it off. The first time I did after being married my wife gave out a horror-like shriek. I said "Wow Am I really that ugly". She never really answered me back. So I rarely shave it off anymore so I won't scare the wife to death.
    One of the rare times I did shave off my beard, I kept a mustache (haven't been without it since 1972). Someone saw me and asked when I'd grown a mustache. "Um, just shaved off my beard..."
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Use the Fusion blades, shave in the shower, the blades seem to last a few months, but there is a noticeable drop off in the closeness after the first week.

If you dont shave in the shower you are missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Use the Fusion blades, shave in the shower, the blades seem to last a few months, but there is a noticeable drop off in the closeness after the first week.

If you dont shave in the shower you are missing something.
    I've nearly always shaved in the shower (using a shower mirror), but I've never been able to achieve the same closeness as I can when shaving immediately after showering. I use the same shaving tool (lately, I've been using the nice but expensive Gillette Fusion Power blades) and the difference is very noticeable pretty much everywhere (particularly in my cheek and neck areas).

I always allow about a minute for the shaving foam or gel to settle in the shower and I still do not get the same level of closeness as I do when using the same method after showering. I've even recently tried purchasing the pricey Fusion gel that has been recommended in this thread with the same results.

I have to shave every day for work, and I'd really like to continue shaving in the shower because it saves cleanup time, but I'm not sure I can continue to knowing there's a noticeable difference. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When I don't shave I look a good 10 years older. My beard comes in white, however my hair only has some grey in it. I can't stand looking old, so I shave pretty much every day.
    Where we gonna go?

I keep my Raisor with me at all times.

I just remembered this Onion piece....very apropos.

Turn Off Ads?