Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Meseraco or Grandal

mdbrownie15

Meseraco or Grandal

I keep reading on forums like this one that Meseraco is untouchable and Grandal should be traded for an arm or a LF. My question is how big a drop off is it from Meseraco to Grandal?

I believe one the bright spots for this team last year was it's catching. Ramon and Ryan are a pretty good tandem. I get a little frustrated by how Dusty uses them sometimes, but they have been pretty good. I wouldn't take to many other catching situations in the NL over this one.

Ramon has hinted at the fact he would like to stay in Cin. I say give him another year with a team option for 2. Meseraco would get us much more right now then Grandal, so go get a plus arm or 2. By the time Ramon was done, Grandal should be ready to go.

I like the fact that Grandal is a switch hitter. He would give whoever the skipper was more versatility in the line up as well.

Let me know what you guys think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Meseraco or Grandal

It's not a huge drop off, since Grandal is projected and on track to be an above-average offensive MLB catcher, but the timing is significant here. Mesoraco is ready and can take over the position out of spring training if need be. Grandal is not. We could sign Hernandez to a contract, but that would both be overpriced (considering he has had the best season of any catcher on the market) and would cheat us out of a supplemental pick we could get by letting him decline arbitration. Mes also has more experience than Grandal with our major league pitchers, having worked with most of them at some point this season. Add that to the productivity he's likely to give us over Grandal, and you're paying a heck of a lot for that slight uptick in trade value.

I don't trade either of these guys. The Reds can get their needed pitching but just letting Cordero walk. For the club to remain competitive over the long haul we need to spend our money on starting pitching and Joey Votto, period. We should be keeping all of our productive young position players and letting them develop. Heisey, Alonso, Cozart, Sappelt, Mez, Grandal, Francisco, Frazier, Hamilton, etc. are the guys the Reds should be using to round out their roster while using the freed money from Cordero, Rolen, Arroyo's contracts over the next coupla years to sign a FA pitcher or two and extend Cueto/Leake/Bailey long term.

Co-Co's money will be eaten up by Arb players and adding years to BP contract.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I don't trade either of these guys. The Reds can get their needed pitching but just letting Cordero walk. For the club to remain competitive over the long haul we need to spend our money on starting pitching and Joey Votto, period. We should be keeping all of our productive young position players and letting them develop. Heisey, Alonso, Cozart, Sappelt, Mez, Grandal, Francisco, Frazier, Hamilton, etc. are the guys the Reds should be using to round out their roster while using the freed money from Cordero, Rolen, Arroyo's contracts over the next coupla years to sign a FA pitcher or two and extend Cueto/Leake/Bailey long term.
    Starting pitching? Pffft. Not nearly as bad as you think. Remember, the Reds hit/pitch in GAB. This overinflates hitting and pitching. So the offense isn't as good as you think and the pitching isn't as bad as you think. If the Reds scored 30 more runs and gave up 30 less runs, we are in the thick of the wild card. Considering we had alot of guys in the 24-25 age group, I suspect final adjustments are coming, especially with increasing workloads.

The Reds could upgrade the offense/bullpen and win 90 games without ever touching starting pitching. Starting pitching, especially when you are going for slots, is easy to pick up at the deadline. There is usually some fluff that can eat innings that costs essentially nothing.

The only way you ***** yourself out for a starter this winter is for somebody good, somebody real good.

It's true that GABP inflates offense, and even more than that it rewards HR hitting hiters and punishes fly ball pitchers. The Reds need to look for ground ball pitchers who keep the ball in the park. The smaller outfield becomes an advantage for this kind of pitcher

I agree. A one year deal for Hernandez may not be all that bad. It would give Mesoraco a full year in the bigs. The Yankees carried 3 catchers this year, with Posada playing 1st sometimes. A year later, we could better forecast Grandal's future as a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    I agree. A one year deal for Hernandez may not be all that bad. It would give Mesoraco a full year in the bigs. The Yankees carried 3 catchers this year, with Posada playing 1st sometimes. A year later, we could better forecast Grandal's future as a Red.
    They also played Posada at DH quite a bit. And AL teams don't need to have as many pitchers as NL since they don't bat, and therefore don't need to be pinch-hit for. I don't think an NL team can afford to have 3 catchers on the 25 man. Especially with the uncertainty of all of our borderline AAAA/MLB guys.

From ehat I have heard, Mesoraco is definitely a better defensive catcher, and will more rhan likely be near 30 homers a year. But Grandal has a chance of hitting. 300 a year, which Mesoraco more than likely doesn't. So I say don't sign Ramon and go with Meso and Hanigan.
    Last edited by nate1213; 10-13-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    From ehat I have heard, Mesoraco is definitely a better defensive catcher, and will more rhan likely be near 30 homers a year. But Grandal has a chance of hitting. 300 a year, which Mesoraco more than likely doesn't. So I say don't sign Ramon and go with Meso and Hanigan.
    i heard the opposite. grandel = defensive mesoraco= better hitter

Mesoraco is a little rough behind the plate but I think he is projected to be at least average+ once he develops. I think they should go with Mesoraco/Hannigan next year. Ramon is going to get a better contract next year from a different team.

Turn Off Ads?