Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with Brandon Philips?

What would you do with Brandon Philips?

Good afternoon Redszone. It's good to join the forum. While 2011 was a disappointing year for the Reds results wise there were a few bright spots IMO. The development of Cueto, Leake, Bruce, & Alonso were all positive results from the year. However, the key issue going forward is what to do with Brandon Philips. I may be in the minority but I don't like the idea of extending Philips this off-season. I think it would benefit the Reds to simply pick up his option for now and see how he performs in 2011.

By not extending BP now it gives the Reds another year to evaluate the skills of Cozart and Billy Hamilton. If Cozart and Hamilton both continue to develop next year they could be cost effective middle infield solutions for 2013 when the 12-15 million BP would be paid could be used for pitching or a Votto extension. Plus it would guarantee his motivation for next year to perform at his best to get that last big contract.

What are you thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would you do with Brandon Philips?

id love to sign him 2-3 yrs but just me. not many players in the game like him. i know most think thats to long but imo i feel he can continue wat hes doing.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    id love to sign him 2-3 yrs but just me. not many players in the game like him. i know most think thats to long but imo i feel he can continue wat hes doing.
    2-3 years would be perfect for us, but not really fair considering where BP is in his career. He wouldn't take the deal and I wouldn't blame him. If we went 5 years with incentives for him to be paid in the back end he might bite. It all comes down to how much is just enough though, I don't know that we can.

Regardless, if we have to move on without him in 2013 it's going to be a big downgrade at 2nd base.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

BP won't take the deal offered. I think he thinks he's worth more right now than they will offer. He will also look at the Bruce and Votto deals and wonder "why not me"? The answer is that they are younger, and BP is heading into his 30's and should start declining soon.

I'd offer him 3 years and if he declines, tell him we're picking up his '12 option and after that it's just business.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    BP won't take the deal offered. I think he thinks he's worth more right now than they will offer. He will also look at the Bruce and Votto deals and wonder "why not me"? The answer is that they are younger, and BP is heading into his 30's and should start declining soon.

I'd offer him 3 years and if he declines, tell him we're picking up his '12 option and after that it's just business.
    Agree with all of this. Phillips had a great year, but signing him to a long term deal doesn't make sense. If they could work out a reasonable deal that could be good, but I think Phillips is looking for the best deal out there, and why not? The days of athletes turning down more money to stay with small market teams are over. It happened in the past but these days the $$$$$$ rules.

Yup, a 5 year 60 million dollar deal doesn't make sense from the Reds POV. Phillips will be 31 next year. His speed and bat are in their final prime years. I would hate watching a 35 year old Phillips playing for the Reds.

A big market could sign him 5 years even though they would only expect, say 3 good years. The reds cannot(neither could the Cards fwiw).

Is there any chance we could land Billingsley + Ethier for Phillips + a prospect?

Ok. It's no secret that B Phillips is no fan of the Cardinals and the banter in August of 2010 made me dislike him. This spring I decided to look into his off field actions before going on a life long hatred for the man.

I was shocked and amazed! This guy plays hard, plays well, and still does charity work. This guy is a great athelete and an amazing human being. If the Reds orginization lets him go they are dumber than dirt but the real question is when I suppose. I would extend his contract through 2013 or 2014 this winter with a modest raise. If he keeps up his playing ability he ought to get the 'RED FOR LIFE' contract as long as his agent doesn't put the organization into the poor house. Players like these are few and far between, who would rather have some player like Nyger Morgan or Milton Bradley be the type of player that people think about when they hear your team being mentioned? Class act and he loves the team and the City. As much as I would LOVE to see him at 2B in STL, he is a good and positive face of the Reds.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post
    Ok. It's no secret that B Phillips is no fan of the Cardinals and the banter in August of 2010 made me dislike him. This spring I decided to look into his off field actions before going on a life long hatred for the man.

I was shocked and amazed! This guy plays hard, plays well, and still does charity work. This guy is a great athelete and an amazing human being. If the Reds orginization lets him go they are dumber than dirt but the real question is when I suppose. I would extend his contract through 2013 or 2014 this winter with a modest raise. If he keeps up his playing ability he ought to get the 'RED FOR LIFE' contract as long as his agent doesn't put the organization into the poor house. Players like these are few and far between, who would rather have some player like Nyger Morgan or Milton Bradley be the type of player that people think about when they hear your team being mentioned? Class act and he loves the team and the City. As much as I would LOVE to see him at 2B in STL, he is a good and positive face of the Reds.
    He does all of that + he seems to geniunely like the fans too.

He's the Red I like to watch on the field the most -- even when does something boneheaded once in a while.

I'm hoping he can be kept around.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

id go 4 years heres 60 million and i think that is the absolute max the reds should go. id like to see 3 years 45 million tho. but id budge on 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Is there any chance we could land Billingsley + Ethier for Phillips + a prospect?

None whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCardfan View Post

I agree, he is great with fans adn the community. And I love his excitement. A lot of people get on him for smiling when he gets an out, but I think that is his personality and having fun playing the game, and that helps out more than it hurts through a long season. I wish we could keep him, but dont see it happening, he will want more than the Reds will give at this point in his career.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    id go 4 years heres 60 million and i think that is the absolute max the reds should go. id like to see 3 years 45 million tho. but id budge on 4 years.
    I'd go longer if the contract decreased in value each year.

'12 (turns 31 in June) - $15M
    '13 (32) - $12M
    '14 (33) - $9M
    '15 (34) - $8M + incentives
    '16 (35) - $7M + incentives

5 years - $51M guaranteed. Big paycheck up front.

It is all going to come down to how "Bob" views BP. Right now I think Bob belives BP is a key to the Reds relationship with the fans and thus when it is all said and done the Reds will give BP a 5 year deal in the 50-55 million dollar range over those 5 years...

I would pick up his option and trade him.

He wants 4-5 year deal at 15 million each, screw that use the money to keep Votto

Turn Off Ads?