Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds arbitration players

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reds arbitration players

If Masset, Volquez, Bailey, Arredondo, and Janish are retained, the cost should be around $8.3MM. Excluding buyouts for Francisco Cordero and Brandon Phillips, the Reds have $50.558MM in 2012 contractual commitments according to Cot's Baseball Contracts. The five arbitration eligibles would bring them to about $59MM before minimum salary players are considered, which is about $22MM below the 2011 Opening Day payroll of $81MM. GM Walt Jocketty expects to bump up payroll a little, but the majority of the surplus will probably go to Phillips and Cordero.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...nati-reds.html

Re: Reds arbitration players

The Reds did so well this year that I think they should just keep all the same guys and run them out there again. That was last years plan and it backfired. If the payroll doesn't allow for much free agency acquisition, then move some guys with big price tags.

My advise, make some changes and not on the small scale. It's not like they are just a little bit off.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    The Reds did so well this year that I think they should just keep all the same guys and run them out there again. That was last years plan and it backfired. If the payroll doesn't allow for much free agency acquisition, then move some guys with big price tags.

My advise, make some changes and not on the small scale. It's not like they are just a little bit off.
    Agreed.

If the Reds stand pat and simply re-sign Cordero and pick up Phillips option, their ticket sales aren't going to jump any. It certainly doesn't get me enthusiastic about next season. It shows me that management ISN'T serious about winning.

Cubs get Epstein and finally have some payroll flexibility to make some big changes.
    Cardinals are in the playoffs and re-signed Carpenter and Garcia, and have Wainwright coming back.
    Brewers have a good lineup even without Fielder, and have pretty good pitching.

Where do the Reds stand? In third or fourth place, feeling good about themselves. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    GM Walt Jocketty expects to bump up payroll a little, but the majority of the surplus will probably go to Phillips and Cordero.
    I know this is possible, but where does the "probably" come from? Track record? Quotes?

I chose to believe Cordero will NOT be given a big extention because it is better for my mental health if I do so.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I know this is possible, but where does the "probably" come from? Track record? Quotes?

I chose to believe Cordero will NOT be given a big extention because it is better for my mental health if I do so.
    Better invest in a fancy white jacket with all those shiny buckles and the wrap-around sleeves then.

The Reds haven't discussed possible extensions with Francisco Cordero or Brandon Phillips since the season ended last week, GM Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. The GM hopes to resume talks next week with Cordero, who will likely agree to a two-year deal, and Phillips, who won't be giving the Reds a hometown discount.

Better invest in a fancy white jacket with all those shiny buckles and the wrap-around sleeves then.
    I already have one. It is the Dusty Baker Bullpen Management Edition. I buy nothing but the best.

I am happy with my team - W.J.

I am happy with my team - W.J.
    We're simply not going to win any division titles anymore! - B.C.

I have a question about the perception of Drew Stubbs and those who feel he can't lead off:

Why is it that people in Cincinnati don't have faith in Stubbs because he strikes out a lot and can't bunt yet his numbers are comparable with Austin Jackson of the Tigers and they hit him leadoff all year?

Also what about Francisco Liriano as a trade option? He would cost less I would guess because patience in Minnesota is running thin and I think a change of scenery would help.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    I have a question about the perception of Drew Stubbs and those who feel he can't lead off:

Why is it that people in Cincinnati don't have faith in Stubbs because he strikes out a lot and can't bunt yet his numbers are comparable with Austin Jackson of the Tigers and they hit him leadoff all year?

Also what about Francisco Liriano as a trade option? He would cost less I would guess because patience in Minnesota is running thin and I think a change of scenery would help.
    Okay, joke ahead.

He's due for a good season. Look at his last 4 years in terms of e.r.a.:

2008 3.91
    2009 5.80
    2010 3.62
    2011 5.09

Trade for him now!!!! He is gonna do well next season!!!!

Seriously. Several problems, but one is his contract situation. He is arbitration eligible this offseason, and is a free agent in 2013.

Now an argument for obtaining him is that if the Twins are frustrated with him, you might get him cheap. He is coming off a bad/mediocre season, so you might be able to sign him to a less expensive contract too, for say 2 years.

Positives? He's given up less hits than innings pitched each of his last 2 seasons. He turns 28 in a couple of weeks, so he's still relatively young. He is comparable to Volquez in terms of control problems. Liriano tends to walk alot of guys in relation to innings pitched. His WHIP last year was 1.49, and it wasn't because of hits allowed.

How about a swap of Volquez for Liriano? Both teams are frustrated with their pitcher. Trade the problem child straight up for another problem child and see if a change of scenery helps?

I think you could get Liriano for less than Volquez. I mean they gave Delmon Young to division rival Tigers for tickets to a Vikings-Lions game and a mortgage payment on Target Field.

jocketty is still working for the cardinals that explains his passivity

COCO.......seriously.."brilliant"
    Maybe he'd be easier to move, after a sign and trade?

Truth is that this Reds team is somewhere between this season's play and 2010. However, we had 90 wins in 2010, and a losing season this year. The in-between doesn't get you into the playoffs, especially in a division with the Brewers and Cardinals. It's not that we need to outdo the Rangers and Yankees in bids for an ace, or that we need to hold a fire sale; we just need to shake things up.
    Last edited by The DARK; 10-17-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Turn Off Ads?